Author Topic: Stomach problems? How does it feel?  (Read 10629 times)

Lesleybird

Re: Stomach problems? How does it feel?
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2010, 07:25:16 AM »
  Hi,   With my Sjogren's I have had mild nausea every day for over a year and pressure in my upper abdomen and it is swollen. I think with inflamation and fluid around the membranes or something. You know that stupid ro antibody can affect the membranes around your organs.  I also have chronic gas and dry hard stool. Chronic joint pain, chest pain, rib pain, fatigue, there's a lot more.  But I'm just fine.....Really I am! Not.                                                                                                Lesley

navydad

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2010, 11:10:42 AM »
  Hi,   With my Sjogren's I have had mild nausea every day for over a year and pressure in my upper abdomen and it is swollen. I think with inflamation and fluid around the membranes or something. You know that stupid ro antibody can affect the membranes around your organs.  I also have chronic gas and dry hard stool. Chronic joint pain, chest pain, rib pain, fatigue, there's a lot more.  But I'm just fine.....Really I am! Not.                                                                                                Lesley
Lesley,, you saved me the problem of writing a reply,, I am almost word for word like you,,, except i;ll get dry hard stuff then two minutes later I;m nothing but semi solid with a ton of water tossed in,,, I swear its backed up to my throat,,, But i;m fine too,, NOT,,, remember,, it might be IBS  LOL,,, NOT,,, idiots

bloodless

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2010, 12:55:51 PM »
Lesley, Navydad, I've had intermittant diarhea and constipation but not to the extent you describe. I also will get a very sharp pain in my stomach about 20 minutes before I have to go. Does that sound familiar to you? I'm wondering if I should ask my doc about before it gets worse as it obviously has with you.
I miss the good old days. Things were more like they used to be back then.

Sjogrens, Lupus, Fibro, GERD

skygirl

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2010, 01:27:12 PM »
Hey Daisy..

oh that's right...I took Pepto Bismo and 2 Aleve the day my stool looked black..
But my stool is looking normal again, I never had blood in my stool..

Okay I went to see the ,PCP.  The first resident doctor said I could be having Acid Reflux...
Then the internist doctor came .She gave me the look when I said I took Peptobism..
and prescribed  Omeprazale 200mg .She said if I dont' feel better in one week, she'll have to order tests..

It was good that she was able to fit me in next day!..because I the only  appointment I could find was with a gastro in a different clinic
for the 29th of next month. I will keep this one just in case.

is the test called endoscopy? or is it like ultrasound..? I hope is not painful.

Monica

43 years old / dry eye / dry mouth /not yet confirmed  for sjoegrens / morphea which is scleroderma localized to skin only/ gallblader out/ Carafate, Prilosec, Cholestramine / Bile reflux. Desonide for Dermatitis Seb. on face.

SLEEPY101

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2010, 01:38:12 PM »
I think what test they will do will be base on your symptoms.

An Endo is not painful most likely you will be put to sleep. You just might have mild throat discomfort when you wake up.

I had a colon/Endo the procedire was not painful just the prep you have to drink the night before that clean you out. You are also put to sleep for these procedures. The only pain I had for a few days was worse muscle/fibro pain. This could have been due to the anesthesia.

How you feel better soon

Julie

• My reflection is not ME any more.
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2010, 01:46:16 PM »
Skygirl,

I have GERD and IBS.  I take Protonix daily that helps control the heat that I feel from the reflux. Without it, the heat can go all the way up into my throat at times.  I don't take anything for IBS, but I try to avoid foods that contribute to an attack.  Food preservatives - sulfites - MSG are a no no for me.  It's been years since I've eaten a salad because of all the preservatives that the stores and restaurants add in.  Garlic does me in for days.  And it's impossible to find anything prepackaged in stores without garlic from soups to frozen or boxed meals to most sauces - catsup, bbq sauce, etc.

Acute episodes of burping can be heartburn related, but it can also be a symptom of gallbladder problems.  I just had mine out in June.  I had a lot of burping and loud stomach gurgling along with the nausea and over all yuck feeling when I'd have an attack.  I have a friend who had to have his gallbladder out and had NO other symptoms except for uncontrollable burping.

I hope you get some answers and feel better soon.

Take care
Julie    

Daisy1234

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2010, 04:51:01 PM »
Hi again Skygirl:

Glad you were able to figure out the pepto bismol influence.  I'm hoping your symptoms are relieved by the prescription.  If they aren't, then the doctor usually orders one of the following tests.  I've had them all and all of them more than once and some over a dozen times.  There may be other tests they will order as well, but these are the most common:
If the drs suspect that you have gallbladder issues, they generally will order an ultrasound to check for stones.  Sometimes a barium xray is also done.  If they suspect something in your upper digestive tract, i.e. esophagus, stomach, then they'll likely have you undergo an endoscopy.  Endoscopies are fairly easy procedures if you get some sedation.  I've had endoscopies with sedation and without sedation.  In my opinion, sedation is much preferred.  No preparation for this procedure is required except fasting after midnight if you have an endoscopy the following morning, or if the procedure is in the afternoon, usually you're allowed a liquid breakfast before 8am then fasting until after the endoscopy is completed and the local freezing in your throat wears off.

If they suspect something in your colon or intestinal tract then they'll often order a colonoscopy.  You would be sedated for this procedure but the prep can be hard on some people.  The procedure itself is not usually an issue, because normally a person is quite sedated and doesn't even remember it.
Good luck, I hoping that your issue will be resolved instead by the meds.
Daisy

skygirl

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2010, 06:17:14 PM »
HI Daisy, thanks.

OH boy..So  symptons of  acid reflux and gallbladder could be the same...

I wish she had schedueled an ultrasound or  test

instead of prescribing Prilosec... Grrrrr.

It could be Gall bladder too..

Monica

Monica : - ((

43 years old / dry eye / dry mouth /not yet confirmed  for sjoegrens / morphea which is scleroderma localized to skin only/ gallblader out/ Carafate, Prilosec, Cholestramine / Bile reflux. Desonide for Dermatitis Seb. on face.

lindaneall

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2010, 07:21:54 PM »

I am so grateful for the timing of this post.  I was just mentioning to my husband tonight that I have been having a LOT of problems with frequent belching and mild nausea. The last 3 days have been awful.  Besides the suggestions of gallbladder issues and heartburn, is it possible that the plaquenil could be causing this? 

skygirl

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2010, 07:55:24 PM »
Oh Linda,
So you are having problems also...

Linda, I don't take plaquenil..as my bllood work is negative and
I have not had the lip biopsy...so I can't say ...

maybe someone else can chime in?

SLEEPY101

« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2010, 08:35:43 PM »
I am not on Plaquniel at this time but celebrex gives me these symptoms. Are you on  Anti-inlflammatories?

I just started celebrex again 2xs a day on Friday. Starting Sunday I have had bad tummy aches,some vomiting,gas and burping. Can't if it is the flu or the meds.

Suzie

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2010, 12:06:11 AM »
lindaneal I've been having horrible gut symptoms since starting Plaquenil 3 weeks ago.

Bloating, noxious (seriously) gas, but no burping. Tummy aches and small hard stools that don't flush!

I'm sleeping really badly because the gut discomfort wakes me up in the night. I don't have real pain, it's just the ughi-ness and lingering stools that the gut motion (peristalsis) keeps trying to shift.

I'm only taking 200 mg (mcg?) Plaquenil and I'm gonna stick it out. I take it after dinner like everyone advised.

Of course, I'm taking it to treat the fatigue and body aches. Waking up 7 times a night aint helping those problems any.
How droll...

lindaneall

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2010, 05:39:31 AM »

Sleepy101,  No, I am not on celebrex. Plaquenil and Restasis are the only perscription meds I am on.

Suzie, I have been on 200 mg. of Plaquenil for 4 months. I get bloating and mildly queasy stomach, too. A few years ago I was on 400 mg. a day but had to stop after 8 months due to severe abdominal cramping and tinnitus (ringing in ears).  My rheumy wanted me to try it again now but at a lower dose to see if I could tolerate it. I still wonder if this gas, bloating, terrible burping, and pit in my stomach feeling is due to the Plaquenil.

Kerrikins

« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2010, 07:16:10 AM »
My Sjogren's has left me with hypochlorhydria (low stomach acid) and one of the main symptoms of that is chronic heartburn, go figure. Due to that I have also developed multiple food and drug allergies, 7 foods and ibuprofen! Also, I get pretty bad liver pain when I eat and have excessive belching, and bad breath when I eat meat since it doesn't digest. The only thing that levels me out is betaine HCL and digestive enzymes, it's been a miracle for me. I take the betaine with meals and the enzymes as needed in between. It controls the heartburn and liver pain most of the time, the belching, everything. I'm in a unique position of, my Rheum tells me that Sjogren's does NOT cause digestive problems, which is a big fat lie, so I haven't had any of this addressed professionally. The Dr  is really into not having all of your problems blamed on SJS, to the point of ignoring things that are caused by it I think. He completely discredits that these digestive issues and allergies started when the joint pain did...I've been on Plaquenil for a month and I think it's helping my stomach as well, I'm noticing less pain than before. I go back to the Dr next month for blood work and I have a feeling that he may finally address my liver issues then, something is probably off with me having this pain all the time.

Kerrikins

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2010, 07:17:45 AM »
And oh yes, I have a hernia as well, in my naval area. I have no idea if it is contributing to any of my problems. It only bothers me sometimes.