Author Topic: Stomach problems? How does it feel?  (Read 10772 times)

skygirl

Stomach problems? How does it feel?
« on: August 16, 2010, 08:35:27 AM »
Hi ladies...
I was wondering if any of you have stomach problems, GI problems, hernia?
gas, heart burn etc?

How does it feel?

My stomach has been acting up for a month...and weird enough , but for he last 3 days I've been burping quite a lot...Like all the time...
I'm sure that's a sign my digestion is not working too good.

I need to set an appintment with a Gastro, but if that takes like 30 days to get one, I may try also to see my family doctor asap.

What problems do you have, and how do you manage, what medicine you take?

Monica

43 years old / dry eye / dry mouth /not yet confirmed  for sjoegrens / morphea which is scleroderma localized to skin only/ gallblader out/ Carafate, Prilosec, Cholestramine / Bile reflux. Desonide for Dermatitis Seb. on face.

SLEEPY101

Re: Stomach problems? How does it feel?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 08:39:51 AM »
I would go to your GP and if he thinks testing is needed then he can schedule tests right away.

I have a burning stomach and it feels worse after I eat certain foods.

I also had a bleeding ulcer. Symptoms are black stool or bleeding.

I took aciphex it worked really good.

Hope your tummy feels better soon

skygirl

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 09:01:11 AM »
So they give you a medicine for ulcer?

I think I may have had black stool...this week...
43 years old / dry eye / dry mouth /not yet confirmed  for sjoegrens / morphea which is scleroderma localized to skin only/ gallblader out/ Carafate, Prilosec, Cholestramine / Bile reflux. Desonide for Dermatitis Seb. on face.

navydad

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 09:17:50 AM »
I;d say go see your PCP and then be ready for the hoop jumping ,,

skygirl

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 09:33:19 AM »
Oh ...whats PCP???

Primary care practician?

Boy I can't believe Ill be 40 next year...It seems a lot of things are popping up....

Monica

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 09:34:35 AM »
Hi Skygirl  :)

I was sent to a gastroenterologist because I kept getting heartburn and could feel drinks like tea or coffee 'burning' on the way down. I also was either constipated or suffered diarrhoea for no particular reason. It was always 'feast' or 'famine' so my GP wanted that checked out too.

I had an endoscopy and a colonoscopy on the same day and was told my colon was fine so the dx was IBS and the other end had a minor problem. I have a hiatal hernia and developed esophagitis because of it. I now take Omeprazole everyday to neutralise my stomach acid and I prop up the head end of my bed so that gravity keeps the acid in the right place over night.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

cmclien

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 09:46:48 AM »
I have been taking prilosec (omeprazole) for 20 years now!  Without it I have reflux which sometimes I feel and sometimes I don't feel it that way but instead have a sore throat.  Before being put on this medicine I had a stomach ache every day and lots of alternating ibs-c and ibs-d.  I took pepto bismol everyday for a number of years before a doctor put me on the omeprazole.  Depending on what I eat I still get alot of bloating but I attribute that to the IBS.

It has been a miracle drug for me personally.  I never saw a GI doc as my internist felt pretty sure my symptoms were enough.  Sometimes they will test you out on a similar drug to see if you respond before sending you to a GI doc.  Those meds will heal an ulcer if that is what you have. 

Your problem sounds recent though so you should probably get it checked out.  Hope you feel better soon.
Also, have you added anything new into your diet?  Sometimes adding the fishoil which is good for our eyes will give terrible stomach upset.

skygirl

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 10:17:49 AM »
Thanks guys,
My problem is recent...It has been happening this month.
So, I guess I'm going to see the primary care doctor first....

Monica

Liz D.

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 10:51:49 AM »
Hi Skygirl,

I had stomach problems very bad for six months last year.  The pain was awful and I was miserable.  Ended up losing 15 pounds from it.  After many trips and calls to primary doctor and rheumatologist, I was finally sent to a gastroenterologist.

It ended up that not only did I have acid reflux, but my bowels were all backed up at the transverse colon area.  I was still going to the bathroom, but obviously not enough.

The gastro doc put me on a 4 day colon cleanse -- which was an absolute killer, but worth it!!  Then I have to take Miralax every day and try to eat more fruit.  He also put me on 40 mg. Protonix for the acid reflux. 

I feel a WHOLE LOT better!!  Would never want to go through that again.  Unfortunately, with Sjogren's, so many problems pop up!!!   It is just like waiting for the other ball to drop.

Hope you find relief.  Get to the doctor as soon as you can.

Liz D.
55 year old female
Sjogrens Syndrome (diagnosed 2004), Hypothryoidism, Asthma, Osteoporosis
Meds:  Plaquenil 400 mg; Synthroid 100mcg; Evoxac, Flovent, Flonase, Protonix 40 mg.,  Prozac 40 mg. Naproxen 500 mg., Hormone Replacement Therapy, vitamins, calcium, flaxseed, biotin

kwolfsheimer

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 10:55:23 AM »
I've had stomach problems for years-- chronic diarrehea to the point that I couldn't leave the house.  I now take Lotronex.  It's a pretty controversial drug-- a "compassion" drug that was taken off the market years ago by the FDA because of a slew of deaths (mostly for incorrect prescription for regular IBS) and now only prescribed for 'hopeless" patients who have to qualify.  Sadly, I guess, I did.  It shuts down two of the three receptors of the small intestine.  There is a danger of ischemic colitis.  Sounds horrible but it has been a God-send for me!!  It costs about $800 a bottle for a month supply, but I only pay $250 with insurance  and I skip my afternoon dose to spread it out.  If I stop taking it, my stomach goes back to abnormal.

I also have severe acid reflux.  I've taken Nexium for years-- and my insurance really balks at that.  The burping can be a sign that gerd is coming up.  When mine gets bad, I can't keep anything down.  Other signs of bad acid reflux can be headache, nausau, a constant sore throat. 

I just got off my Diclofenac because I'm back to throwing up all the time.  However, I've been off the drug for several weeks and haven't gone back to normal.  That's one thing to watch-- if you take anti-inflammatories or Advil/Aleve regularly, you will have severe stomach issues.

Hope you feel better!  Good luck with the gasto doc.  I absolutely love mine!  I wish I could clone him!  I need a better rheumotologist.  :-\ Funny thing is that my gastro doc is a patient of my rheumy-- and he swears by him. 

navydad

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 10:59:18 AM »
Make your Appt yet?

bloodless

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2010, 11:54:27 AM »
Ditto to everything Scottie posted. The only thing different I would say is that I feel like I swallowed a hot lava rock without my omeprazole. I found out by accident that I still need 2 before every meal or the lava rock comes back. Like and idiot I didn't refill it in time. (I use a mail pharmacy). I'm about to experience what it's like without tramadol for a few days....well, I still have darvocet if it's unbearable. Unfortunately it puts me to sleep. It's hard to work that way.
I miss the good old days. Things were more like they used to be back then.

Sjogrens, Lupus, Fibro, GERD

skygirl

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2010, 12:20:54 PM »
OH talking about ibuprofen,
Advil/Aleve, yeah I have been taking that for any reason...and I wasn't feeling well two days ago I had 2 pills.

I already request an appointment with a Gastro...Im waiting to hear from them. But now I'm wondering if I should see the PCP first?
Or maybe both.

Oh by the way my diet is ...loads of coffee throughout the day, lots of carbs, cheese softer food, since my teeth are not that great
and animal fat from chicken and red meat. I do realize I don't eat vegetables , fibers or fruits. I guess that didnt help.

Monica

SLEEPY101

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2010, 03:32:26 PM »
Hi Skygirl

After I had signs of bleeding I went to my PCP right away. She prescribe me the achpiex and referred me the the Gastro. The next day the Gastro Dr called and shcedule me for a endo/colonscopy. The scopy showed that I had a bleeding ulcer in my intestine due to my anti-inflamitory meds. He then took mee off that med and I continued with the achiphex.

I wouldn't wait if you have signs of of bleeding. This can be very serious. I think you should see your PCP because she can work with the Gastro to get tests before your appt. plus she can prescribe something. OTC tagament or zantac might help.

Here are some tips the Gastro Dr. Nothing with caffiene,no carbonated drinks, nothing spicy. You might want to try eating mostly soups and toast.

I am not sure if you are taking anti-inflammory meds you might want to call the Dr and they might want to stop taking it ASAP.

Keep up posted. Hope you feel better soon.

Stephanie

Daisy1234

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2010, 09:28:00 PM »
Pls keep in mind that if you take something like Pepto Bismol for your stomach upset, it will turn your stool black and that does not indicate any bleeding.  If you haven't taken that then that's another issue that needs to be looked at quickly by a medical professional.  I see a gastroenterologist very regularly.

I have severe Sjs, some of my symptoms include severe stomach, esophageal and bad constipation colon issues, normally backed up for about 10 days at a time but sometimes get a break and its only a week.  I have also had stomach ulcers (peptic).  I take alot of prescription meds for this aspect of my Sjs and also regularly get endoscopies with botox injections in my stomach and esophagus to help with the spasming.  I don't have any burping though.

Several years ago I also had my gallbladder out but that surgery shouldn't have happened.  It was never my gallbladder, but was my esophagus and stomach at that time which were causing my "attacks".

I do remember my mother having alot of burping though and she legitimately had gallbladder issues.  I never burped and still don't.