Author Topic: Dental coverage under medical?  (Read 2282 times)

sleepy

Dental coverage under medical?
« on: August 13, 2010, 07:00:22 AM »
I was wondering if anyone has received medical coverage for dental issues due to Sjogrens?

gurs

Re: Dental coverage under medical?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 07:07:20 AM »
I tried for this years ago....I was able to use it for a tax deduction. I spent $40,000 5 years ago to have all my teeth capped and fixed...nightmare. It took a year to get them done.
so much decay, etc.

Guess what?? now, just last week the dentist is in shock...alot of my teeth decaying underneath and I needed to have two root canals and a new bridge just for these teeth..
im guessing its happening to the rest of them. Ive been in a horrible flare last few months and everything is just bone-dry..no matter what I use or try.
I have neuropathy all over so now these root canals just aggravated it and my nerves are irritated....I hate sjogrens so bad..no one has any idea about this disease.
I just cry. Trying to figure out how im going to pay for all the dental work coming too???

gursie
50 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements

sleepy

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 07:16:05 AM »
I am so with you, I have spent $10,000 this year so far and I am going at 12:30 for a tooth that will probably need a root canal. I just got the crown put on that tooth 2 months ago!
 >:(

I am so steamed. I am trying to get my insurance to understand that it is Sjogren's. I am not sitting around popping chocolates and drinking pop and not brushing my teeth just for kicks.

anita

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 07:33:43 AM »
This is a good question.  I will be inquiring about it at my next dentist visit.  Certainly they would know the ins/outs of applying medical insurance to dental in these type situations.  It would be nice to hear that someone from this forum has successfully done it.
50 yr old SjS, APS w/strokes, Autonomic Neuropathy, PN, Nephrogenic DI, (PID) IgG def., Cushing's, Asthma, Gastroparesis.  Sero-neg w/+ lip biopsy.  Meds: IVIG & pre-meds, Arixtra, Aspirin, Plaquenil, Nitro, Cardizem, Imdur, Toprol XL, Domperidone, Nexium, Midodrine, Symbicort, Oxycontin, Zofran

navydad

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 08:37:31 AM »
SS is going to just cause nothing but rot to our teeth,, we can cap them,, get them filled and all were doing is paying for the dentists next vacation,,, I am going to just go ahead and get mine out and get dentures,, I can feel more and more of them starting to go bad,, and I refuse to just spent a grand or two to save one tooth,,

gurs

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 11:16:11 AM »
I heard dentures really dont cut it either because it does something to the gum tissue? my rheumy has Sjogrens and she said all her implants not working either..falling out?

I just called Medicare, and they said I can try sending a claim in, but it will get rejected, but then I can appeal and send letters from my doctors/dentists explaining my
situation...sure they wont cover 1 cent of it though.

This is something that really needs to be addressed with the insurance companies and needs to be a law in place or something..maybe I need to write Obama? ha
50 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.

navydad

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 11:20:36 AM »
If dentures dont cut it due to problems with the gums,, I cant imagine what rotten are doing to the gums and bones of the mouth,,, we are prone to infections from soe of the meds we are on,, and I think the last think we want are toothaches and a lot of disease in our gums,, I would take my chances with dentures,,, My dentist told me,, your going to loose your teeth one at a time, you pick the day and we pull them all before you really start having problesms,, he also said,, I am not going tow aste your money by trying crowns ,, and root canals,, and implants,, he said we can do it,, but its only going to make your wallet lighter,,

skygirl

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 11:37:45 AM »
I've spent 6000 last year, but I stil have so much to do, but I just can't. without money.  I only go if I is something serious..
My health insurance doesn't cover dental.,Basically , my dentist charges probably around 2100 to 2500 to root canal and cap a single tooth.  
Where I live this is what most really good dentists wil charge.

One of my dentists assistant couldn't understand why I was postponing so much to have the 2 final crowns done and she asked if I was out of job...I told her I work from home, and she replied that I should get a job ahahaha. That was really humiliating...but I'm used to feel humiliated and depressed these days. ....

In any case, I didn't know that dental work was tax deductible? Is it???
Monica

40 years old / dry eye / dry mouth /not yet confirmed  for sjoegrens / morphea which is scleroderma localized to skin only/ gallblader out/ Carafate, Prilosec, Cholestramine / Bile reflux. Doxycline hyclate for my eyelid, blepharitis, MGD problems. Desonide for Dermatitis Seb. on face.

Suzy

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 12:13:29 PM »
I don't have dental insurance either, and I asked my dentist about this. He said he tried one time for a patient and it was a nightmare. He indicated that he could get into trouble.

I don't have vision coverage because I don't wear glasses or contacts, but my medical covers my eye doc appointments...why not dental? To me it seems logical.

Luckily my teeth aren't too bad. I go for cleanings 2x and year and I have more cavities than I should, but right now it's manageable.

My heart goes out to you all struggling to pay for all of this. I do my family's taxes, and my understanding is that dental IS tax-deductible as part of your overall medical tax deduction. Your medical expenses have to reach 7.5% (may be higher now) of your AGI before you can deduct any of it. I keep a folder of all of my medical expenses every year, but have yet to reach that percentage. Came darn close last year.

Suzy
I'm a 37-year-old stay-at-home mom to two little boys ages 8yrs and 4yrs.

Sjogren's DX '97, Raynaud's, Superficial Parotidectomy, Cholestasis of Pregnancy, Gilbert's, Vasculitis, Fibro, B12 & D Deficiency, Drug Allergies

Plaquenil, Lyrica, Rituxan, Vit D, B-Complex, Biotin, Calcium, Soothe XP

gurs

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 02:21:51 PM »
yes, suzy is right on the tax info...I took my life savings 5 years ago and spent $42,000 hoping to fix my teeth once and for all..so I met the 7.5 %....i should have known.
Things were good until after my hysterectomy, then all heck broke loose. My mouth got even drier from the lack of estrogen and other hormones..my gums
started to recede as well....if I would have only known???

I didnt get much in return anyways on the $42,000 for the tax deduction. I had to pay taxes on it as well because it counted as
earned income....lovely!!!

Just make sure you have a good dentist..they can make matters much worse if they dont know what they heck they
are doing...as im sure your all aware by now.

gursie

Epson

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2010, 03:50:33 PM »
For $42,000 I'll hire someone to chew my food for me :D

sleepy

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2010, 06:08:19 PM »
As suspected, infection now root canal on the 30 th. More $$$$. Well my dentist said it would be worth a shot to file the medical insurance for my teeth as it is medically necessary. Bottom line is I may have to pay but it does not seem fair. If the disease is the cause then, medical insurance should pick it up. They do pick up my eye appts. As someone else said on here. I do not have an eye plan but because of the Sjogrens it is covered, so it would make sense the dental would be covered, it is an election year....maybe I could call someone at the state level. People with AIDS, MS, Lupus etc have their diseases treated, why can't we?

eyeamdry

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2010, 07:18:33 PM »
Reading this just makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up.  To have to take $42,000 to fix your teeth is criminal.  That was probably someone's 401K or retirement.  I am lucky enough to have dental insurance, but it only pays $1,000 max a year per person.  That won't even cover one crown.  I have a partial which is a piece of nasty twisted metal.  I have many crowns and fillings.  I velieve I may have 12 of my own teeth left and they are filled.

We are not on social security and i can say for sure there is no room for expensive dental care.  My mouth is so dry now, I don't think a denture would stay in place.  I will not take our retirement $$ and put it in my mouth.  I may have to "gum it" but to use all your $ for dental care isn't a sure thing. 
Lucy

irish

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2010, 11:45:18 PM »
I spent a lot of money on my teeth---not $42,000 but a lot!!! I started in with the dental issues in 1988 and they just escalated. I way in the dentists office so much that my calendar was just loaded with appt. Get the tooth capped, then get the root canal, then get infection,(no one knew I had low t-cells) and then get the darn tooth pulled.

This was just like a record playing over and over. I ended up getting a partial on top and had lost some on the bottom also so eating was getting to be a challenge. Long story short, after telling dentists for years that my "teeth were sick" I found a dentist who did a pain assessment in each tooth and documented that. That was a brillant idea as it was proof that I was having issues.

He then pulled one tooth on top and waited and eventually pulled my lower 4 front teeth and I went without for almost a year. I had so much pain in that lower area and it took months for the pain to go away. Finally got more teeth pulled and he finally pulled the last 6 top ones and then sent me to oral surgeon to get the others pulled. My tooth xrays were always negative and the dentists wouldn't listen to me.

When I got my teeth pulled every one of them looked half dead. It was so weird and the dentist was surprised. I tell you this to let you know that our teeth can be "sick" and still look normalon x-ray.

I have dentures upper and lower now since 2004 and I love them. I was so glad to get those rotten painful teeth pulled. Some dentists tried to talk me into the implants and I refused cause I siad it sounded like trouble. I was not diagnosed with anything at that time. It just didn't make sense to implant a tooth in bone when it has been giving trouble. Sort of like pumping pus into the bone and tissues.

I have no real problems. I use dental paste to keep my teeth in and wear them day and night. I can eat sweet corn with them. The one thing that is a problem to eat is carmel. I eat peanuts, popcorn, pizza and I eat apples after I cut them up. Believe me, I have not gone hungry. I do havae times when I will cut a sandwich into 4 quarters as it is easier to bite into it that way. However, I have bit into McDonalds double cheeseburgers.

I think that a person can pretty much get used to anything if they just make a mental attitude adjustment. I have no teeth, deaf in one ear, irrigate my nose a lot and honk and spit, do my nebulizer and vest twice a day and put eye drops in my eyes and drops up my nose and drops in my one ear and I have narrow feet that make shoe shopping agony. I told hubby it is a good thing he married me 46 years ago cause I don't think I am a bargain these days. At least I don't have a wooden leg yet. Irish ;D

gurs

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2010, 06:55:48 AM »
Yes, it was all of my 401K money that I had to use ($42,000)...I had no choice at the time. I have had Sjogrens since a child, and now Im 46. All those years of destruction.
Not many alternatives for us. I just applied for BCBS dental plan which will cost me $44.00 a month, and only give me the $1000.00 a year...crazy!!!

Im going to try and submit a claim to Medicare, and try to fight it, but im not hoping for much. Wish I could get a lawyer or get this on the news or
something. Im sure there are alot of dentist out there willing to do some "Promotional work"??? that might be an idea??? to contact the local news
media and get this problem recoginzed.