Author Topic: "Remission " anyone?  (Read 1788 times)

bloodless

"Remission " anyone?
« on: August 11, 2010, 08:17:31 AM »
Articles and medical web sites all talk about Sjogren's "remission". Has anyone here ever experienced that? I haven't run across posts where the poster was free of symptoms. I'm hoping it's actually possible.
I miss the good old days. Things were more like they used to be back then.

Sjogrens, Lupus, Fibro, GERD

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
Re: "Remission " anyone?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 09:15:32 AM »
Hi  :)

I was quite unwell during my thirties but never got a dx of any kind. I developed bad balance, had lots of yeast infections, both big toes went numb, One leg sort of 'dragged'. My right arm developed a trmour. I got lots of tendonitis and was incredibly fatigued. The only dx I got was hypochondria apart from a neurologist who suggested I ask my gP to refer me to a rheumatologist. The GP wouldn't cos he said I'd wasted enough time and money already.

I went to homeopath who at least made me feel better inside. Then I fell down stairs and fractured my back. This must have really shaken up my system but as it healed the various symptoms I'd been suffering faded away. My toes got their feeling back and I got a bit more energy.

My 40s were pretty well OK and then when I hit menopause everything went wrong again. I got dxd with menopause, Hashimotos, lups/Sjogren's overlap all in the same year - 2004.

Personally I reckon I had a remission.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

season

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 10:08:43 AM »
I would LOVE a remission.

I have fairly good days and bad days and then worse days. I am waiting on that remission. Can't complain too much though, I wake up every morning and go about the day as well as I can.

Daisy1234

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 10:16:35 AM »
Hi Bloodless:
My rheumatologist has told me on numerous occasions that she has a number of Sjs patients go into remission.  I'm not sure if the Rheumy is talking about those of us who have severe Sjs or just those who have mild to moderate Sjs.  My other thought is that if one is truly in remission, would the positive SSA, SSB and ANA blood tests go away or would the Sjs symptoms just reduce in intensity?

However, my own personal experience has not been one of remission, I was diagnosed in 2002, but of a steady systemic spread and progression of Sjogren's in my body. 

Hugs,
Daisy

inga

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 10:40:12 AM »
No remission, just denial, pretending I felt well, cuz this was all in my head...you know?

navydad

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 11:26:21 AM »
I can honeslty say I have not had a remission,, I feel like I am on a sled ride to he((,,, ya I guess thats all in my head too,, I wish I coud have reached througgh the phone and choked the neuros nurse today,, saying nothing more can be done,,, it will just keep progressing,,, what kind of answer is that,,, progress to what,, wheelchair,,, feeding tubes,, Kervokian

Cheryl

• Sjogrens Staff
    • Enter here for chat room:
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 12:47:56 PM »
Look under the topic "Welcome New Members/Social Hour."  One of our members wrote about remission.   The title of the thread is something like, "Want to tell my old friends about my good news."
Cheryl
Chat co-host on Thursdays at 8:00 Eastern time

bloodless

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 01:42:42 PM »
I'm with you Season and Inga. I'm waiting on that remission and spend most of my days pretending I'm fine. My docs are like yours Navydad. They just expect progression.

Daisy, you bring up a good point. I'd like to know if test results would show a remission. I suppose your ESR and CPR would go down because inflammation is a big factor in our pain and internal organ function....
I miss the good old days. Things were more like they used to be back then.

Sjogrens, Lupus, Fibro, GERD