Author Topic: Going off plaquenil - perhaps starting Imuran  (Read 4533 times)

Nans

Going off plaquenil - perhaps starting Imuran
« on: June 04, 2010, 05:19:18 AM »
Hi everybody,

I had a rheumy appointment yesterday.  He wants me to stop taking plaquenil to see if it will help with the chronic diarrhea I have all morning.  He said if it improves, he wants to put me on Imuran (azathioprine) instead and gave me a handout about it.

Sounds like potentially yucky stuff.  Does anyone here have any experience and or opinions on Imuran?

Thanks!

Nancy

gurs

Re: Going off plaquenil - perhaps starting Imuran
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 11:47:53 AM »
When I first tried Imuran years ago...I thought I hit the lottery...overnight, all my joint pain and fatigue, dry eyes-etc went away...I continued to take it and do very well, until
I developed a yeast nfection in my esophagus and the doc wanted to me stop it...wish I didnt have to because 6 weeks later, when I tried to take it again, i couldnt keep it
down..my stomach hurt so bad and I had some type of reaction. I tried several more times to take it, but I would just vomit 15 mintues after taking it and get a fever?
Soooooo bummed..I would def give it a try though..
52 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements

drummergrrl

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 04:42:41 PM »
Hi! I'm new to this website, obviously by the number of posts, and so glad I found it!  Ok, to answer the question now... When I was first diagnosed about 6 months ago, I was given azathioprine, or imuran, and today I started plaquenil.  I'd say about a week after I started taking imuran I noticed a drastic change.  My sjogren's had caused incredible inflammation in my lungs and caused them to scar pretty badly, to the point I'm on O2 24 hrs a day, but after I started taking the imuran, I went from having to be carried to the bathroom to walking to it myself, which was a huge accomplishment.  I still take 150mg a day along with prednisone and now the plaquenil, but things definitely changed for the better after I started the imuran- no side effects or anything!

c991

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 10:42:48 PM »
I've been taking imuran about a month, this after 1+ years without help from methotrexate. It's to soon to know anything for sure, but i have been doing a lot more lately without a major flare and that's unheard of for me. I don't have any problems with side affects, i take it on an empty stomach in the mourning and full stomach at night. I do that with all my meds simply because i don't want to have to eat something just to take them.

nanamaryj

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 11:52:25 AM »
Hi.  I had been taking Plaquenil for about three years.  Six months ago the doctor put me on the Imuran.  I did not have any side effects from it thank goodness.  Unfortunately, I had to stop taking it just last week.  Every time I would get sick I would have to stop taking it.  It lowered my immune system so much that I caught anything going around.  In that six months I had bronchitis four times.  I could never tell much difference between just the Plaquenil and the combo of the two.  Doctor said it was doing more harm than good so it has to go.  Everyone is different though so it might do wonders for you.  Good Luck!

c991

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 08:12:56 AM »
I've been taking imuran about a month, this after 1+ years without help from methotrexate. It's to soon to know anything for sure, but i have been doing a lot more lately without a major flare and that's unheard of for me. I don't have any problems with side affects, i take it on an empty stomach in the mourning and full stomach at night. I do that with all my meds simply because i don't want to have to eat something just to take them.

UPDATE

I have had some big improvements with imuran. I have less frequent, less severe and shorter flares. My energy level is up, sometimes I can just push through a bad day. It used to be, I attempt to "push through" and the sjogrens body slams me back. I can't believe I wasted so much time on methotrexate.

gurs

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 04:54:51 AM »
Glad to hear !!!!!! gosh, wish I could take that stuff again...i wouldnt stop it unless your doctor instructs....when I did and tried to take it again, i reacted sooo bad to
it...tried several times and just got super ill on it.

Its def a good medication for some to try...
52 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements