Author Topic: Toes starting to tingle and feel numb..  (Read 5253 times)

wiccagal

Toes starting to tingle and feel numb..
« on: July 20, 2010, 06:13:07 PM »
A new thing that I have noticed over the last few weeks,  the middle toes of my left foot seem to be alternating between feeling normal to feeling tingling and that pins and needles sensation.. is this a Sjogrens thing???   I have been dx for just over a year with what the rheumy calls rapidly evolving sjorgrens on steroids..  wondering if this more "evolution"

Silly I know but I don't want to rush back and forth to my doctor every time something weird happens crying "Sjorgrens"  What other common weird stuff can youdevelop??  and should I go to my doctors with the tingle in my toes??

Blue Kat

Re: Toes starting to tingle and feel numb..
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 06:23:11 PM »
It must be a Sjogren's thing because I have it too...and also mostly in the left foot, but also somewhat in the right.  I've had tingling or pins and needles in my hands and feet for years, but the occasional numbess thing is relatively new. 

wiccagal

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 06:30:06 PM »
Its weird huh??  Its like every day now I have to take stock just to see what my body is doing/feeling for the day!   

Blue Kat

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 06:36:37 PM »
Its weird huh??  Its like every day now I have to take stock just to see what my body is doing/feeling for the day!   

LOL!  I hear ya! 

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 07:09:21 PM »
Sounds like the onset of neuropathy.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, Goldenseal, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

LizPetillo

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 07:18:23 PM »
Mine started one day in the toes in one foot and by the 3rd day both legs were mostly numb all the way to the knees.  I went to the ER thinking I could have Guillian Burre.  But the ER just said 'I don't know .. call your regular doctor'.  And the regular doctor said "i don't know'.  All the while I'm in an emotional panic .. and then the info came from the Sjogrens Institute stating that we can get numb from the knees down. 

It all came on suddenly .. within 3 days.  It has lasted a month.  (so far)

wiccagal

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 07:23:34 PM »
JoeS,

I am still getting use to all these medical terms and what not being a total newbie.. 

what do you mean by neuropathy???

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 07:46:46 PM »
What is peripheral neuropathy?

Peripheral neuropathy describes damage to the peripheral nervous system, the vast communications network that transmits information from the brain and spinal cord (the central nervous system) to every other part of the body. Peripheral nerves also send sensory information back to the brain and spinal cord, such as a message that the feet are cold or a finger is burned. Damage to the peripheral nervous system interferes with these vital connections. Like static on a telephone line, peripheral neuropathy distorts and sometimes interrupts messages between the brain and the rest of the body.

Because every peripheral nerve has a highly specialized function in a specific part of the body, a wide array of symptoms can occur when nerves are damaged. Some people may experience temporary numbness, tingling, and pricking sensations (paresthesia), sensitivity to touch, or muscle weakness. Others may suffer more extreme symptoms, including burning pain (especially at night), muscle wasting, paralysis, or organ or gland dysfunction. People may become unable to digest food easily, maintain safe levels of blood pressure, sweat normally, or experience normal sexual function. In the most extreme cases, breathing may become difficult or organ failure may occur.

Some forms of neuropathy involve damage to only one nerve and are called mononeuropathies. More often though, multiple nerves affecting all limbs are affected-called polyneuropathy. Occasionally, two or more isolated nerves in separate areas of the body are affected-called mononeuritis multiplex.

In acute neuropathies, such as Guillain-Barr? syndrome, symptoms appear suddenly, progress rapidly, and resolve slowly as damaged nerves heal. In chronic forms, symptoms begin subtly and progress slowly. Some people may have periods of relief followed by relapse. Others may reach a plateau stage where symptoms stay the same for many months or years. Some chronic neuropathies worsen over time, but very few forms prove fatal unless complicated by other diseases. Occasionally the neuropathy is a symptom of another disorder.

In the most common forms of polyneuropathy, the nerve fibers (individual cells that make up the nerve) most distant from the brain and the spinal cord malfunction first. Pain and other symptoms often appear symmetrically, for example, in both feet followed by a gradual progression up both legs. Next, the fingers, hands, and arms may become affected, and symptoms can progress into the central part of the body. Many people with diabetic neuropathy experience this pattern of ascending nerve damage.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, Goldenseal, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

Joy Cox

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 09:43:50 PM »
Joe, appreciate your in-depth post.  Diagnosed last year with PN and thoroughly enjoyed the way you presented the explanation of neuropathy.  Thanks for your time and effort.  Joy

Gerty

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 01:34:02 AM »
Ive had it for years and years way before sjs but its all of my toes sometimes they get so numb I cant hardly feel them it can take a long time for the numbness to go back to what I call normal numb if I pinch my toes they have a burning sensation like inside the toe or like the little joints and bone is burning I had x-rays done and nothing was found so Dr put it down to lupus but that is one of the things that stayed after I went into remission from lupus the same goes with my itchy skin esp hands so maybe it not only sjs but a lot a autoimmune disease

Katybarstool

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 03:07:05 AM »
I have the neuropathy in my feet, but also, sometimes, particularly if putting shoes on, my feet go into painful spasms. HAs anyone else had this?

Kathyx

colleen

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 03:52:18 AM »
I completely understand I have been experiencing the same thing...I use to think it was caused by my shoes.....NOT

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2010, 06:13:52 AM »
Yes, it's probably Peripheral Neuropathy.

I had no idea what was happening, because I had so much going on, and I tend to over ride physical problems with denial.

However, PN can become rather serious.  I have lost my ability to balance as a result of PN, and have fallen badly.

Keep monitoring what is going on and be prepared to slow down to accommodate your body's changes.

Keep us posted.

Kisses

Carolina
Female-72-CVID-pSJS-IC-Periph.Neuro.-CAD-Osteoarthritis-Auto.Neuro-SFN-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's Blepharitis,Meniere's/Deafness-Hiatal Hernia-IVIG-Gamunex-Medrol-Neurontin,Atenolol-Pilocarpine-Copper-Cymbalta-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-A Lipoic-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-Turmeric-Aleve-D3-Omega3

namakb

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2010, 06:32:35 AM »
Over the past year I have had it where sometimes my foot will go into a spasam after I have been walking slowly around the grocery store and get into the car to drive home. My right foot will go into a spasam making it very difficult to drive. I have to take my shoe off. It did happen one time recently when I was walking around the grocery shopping. It was weird trying to walk. I do know that a few years ago I noticed I could not wear tennis shoes that are too tight over the top of my foot. My feet would start to hurt. Since I just recently realized I probably have Sjogrens I never thought if any of this had anyting to do with Sjogrens. Now I wonder, is this part of the syndrome?

LizPetillo

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2010, 06:57:59 AM »
In acute neuropathies, such as Guillain-Barr? syndrome, symptoms appear suddenly, progress rapidly, and resolve slowly as damaged nerves heal. In chronic forms, symptoms begin subtly and progress slowly.
Mine happened so fast I thought it was Guillain-Barre. 
I'm a freak'n weird Sjogrens person. 
All my stuff hit at once ... BAM!