Author Topic: hydroxychloroquine vs plaquenil (the 'real brand')  (Read 4412 times)

LizPetillo

hydroxychloroquine vs plaquenil (the 'real brand')
« on: July 19, 2010, 08:01:17 AM »
Started on the generic hydroxychloroquine.   Was on for 2 weeks.  Was starting to work a bit .  My tongue wasn't as swollen or painful.  Actually was getting a little spit.  Throat glands didn't hurt as much.  Fatigue was a bit less. 

BUT .. I was getting side effects of bright red skin feeling sunburnt and my tongue was breaking out in raised red raw bumps.

So I switched 3 days ago to the 'real' plaquenil - the brand name.  Less side effects (so far) but it's not really working.  My mouth is drying up and my throat glands are swollen and my tongue is back to swelling.

Has anyone here tried both like I am??  What are your experiences??  I wonder if I need to give the real plaquenil more time or if this is indicitive of what is coming.  Dangit .. i wish there was a Sjogren's Statement of Operations so I'd know exactly what was going on and what to expect. 

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
Re: hydroxychloroquine vs plaquenil (the 'real brand')
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 09:27:13 AM »
Hi  :)

You're not going to like this - but Plaquenil can take up to six months to take effect. It's not one of those drugs that act quickly I'm afraid. If side effects aren't too bad it is worth persevering with it because it can make a difference and it's also meant to slow down progression.

It CAN cause sun sensitivity though - as can SjS - a sort of 'double whammy!'  The sun is NOT our friend. Cover up, wear a hat and a load of high factor sunblock.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

LizPetillo

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 09:51:52 AM »
I'm wondering why the generic worked so fast ... 2 weeks!! ... and the real plaquenil feels like I'm not taking anything at all. 

anita

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 10:24:18 AM »
Could have been something else or just that our symptoms can wax and wane.  Plaquenil is not a quick fix like Scottie said.  It takes a long time to reap the benefits.

There are many drugs out there that doctors swear the brand name works better, but I've never heard of plaquenil being one of them.
52 yr old SjS, APS w/strokes, Autonomic Neuropathy, PN, Nephrogenic DI, (CVID) IgG def., Cushing's, Asthma, Gastroparesis.  Sero-neg w/+ lip biopsy.  Meds: IVIG & pre-meds, Arixtra, Aspirin, Plaquenil, Cardizem, Toprol XL, Domperidone, Nexium, Midodrine, Symbicort, Fentanyl, Percocet, Zofran

LizPetillo

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 12:35:17 PM »
There are many drugs out there that doctors swear the brand name works better, but I've never heard of plaquenil being one of them.
The local Sjogrens support group told me that some of their folks switched from hydroxychloroquine to the brand name plaquenil to see if they could dodge side effects that they were having ... and the real plaquenil was much easier on the side effects for them. 

There does seem to be a difference between the two. 

The side effects on the real plaquinel have been much less for me the past few days.  However, it also isn't working as well as the hydroxychloroquine. 

Go figure, eh???

Suzy

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 09:14:01 PM »
My rheumy wanted to prescribe brand only but I asked to try the generic first since I have to buy it every month. It's been working fine so far, so I doubt I'll switch.

Sorry you are having so many problems!

Suzy