Author Topic: 43 years old and no friends - Advice Please  (Read 6533 times)

bloodless

Re: 43 years old and no friends - Advice Please
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2010, 02:38:37 PM »
Maybe I'll join a book club. That doesn't require walking. I'm like you Navydad stuck in a cage. I'm not married and don't live on an acre or more, so I can't get a dog. The dog would never get to go out for a walk.
I miss the good old days. Things were more like they used to be back then.

Sjogrens, Lupus, Fibro, GERD

BarbieNJ

« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2010, 03:10:04 PM »
Sweetgirl, It's as if I had wrote what you did!!!  My youngest is going on 16 too and my son just turned 20!!!  I spent all my adult life catering to them and my husband, plus work full-time.  My sisters were my b/f's, but they have had enough of my "complaints", and I don't bother talking much with them anymore. 

I thought this "time" in my life I would be able to focus on MY career, go to college, etc.  Sjogren's had other plans for me :(.  I too need to make friends, but never feel well either.  I am so proud of you, you are reaching out to people in your community and striking up conversations!!  I have thought about volunteering too, but am afraid to because I'm afraid I'll just fail, just like my new job is going down the drain because I have called out 4 times since I started in March.  It sucks when we want to be a part of things and our bodies don't want us too.  Keep up the good work...I'm going to try what you are doing :).  Nothing ventured...nothing gained!!!!

Barbie

SLEEPY101

« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2010, 05:21:52 PM »
Since you are a doggie lover I have some suggestions for you. Local libraries have dog reading programs. You take your Doggie one a month or more and children who are learning to read, read to you and your dog. Dog shelters and non profit doggie rescue groups usually have a lot of fun activities to meet people. Plus Doggies are great ice breakers. Also if you are feeling well enough for shorts walks,a lot of dog shelters need people to come and walk thier dogs. There are doggie play groups where you can make some friends.

Does your son's high school have any activites for parents? Our local high school has donuts and coffee once a month for parents. Maybe suggest this to your schools secretary. I am sure there are other Moms that feel the same way.

If you are interesting in Volenteering here is a suggestion that worked for me. Most non profit organizations have one big fundraising event a year. This past June Mothers Against Drunk Driving brought a fundraising walk to our area. For about three weeks I made phone calls for a few hours a week asking companies to join in our health fair.  I made a lot of friends and I felt good. Because of my situation they were very understanding and if I didn't feel good it was okay that I missed the meetings. I can't wait till next year! There is also a local oraganization in my town that helps teen preganancy. They are all kinds of different ways to donate your time. I am interested in making call or sending out fliers for special events.  I found the organzation through the MADD Walk they were part of our Health fair.