Author Topic: how sick can you get from an UTI?  (Read 22077 times)

gurs

how sick can you get from an UTI?
« on: July 13, 2010, 01:44:26 PM »
Ive been so sick last few weeks, fearing a flare, but feels out of the norm...just found out that I may have
an UTI??? labs from last week just came back as infection. I just got out of the hospital yesterday and they never even tested my urine?
can it cause severe symtpoms like extreme headaches, dizziness, joint pain, muscle weakness, anxiety, etc? feels like its messing with my hormones too!!
back to another doc tomorrow. This is crazy..sickest ive ever been in my life!! cant stand up at all....
50 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements

PrincessLeah

Re: how sick can you get from an UTI?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 02:27:32 PM »
A UTI can back up into your kidneys, which can cause you serious problems.  Usually, your back will hurt (right where your kidneys are, on either side of your spine, under where your rib cage ends).  I had a doctor poke me really hard in that area when I had a UTI, to see if my kidneys were affected.

Your kidneys are reponsible for helping to filter your blood and clean waste products out of your blood, so I would imagine that a serious UTI could affect your entire body.

I'm not an expert, though.  The most I've had is a regular bladder infection.

PL

SLEEPY101

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 03:43:47 PM »
Any infection in the body can make me very sick.  I had multiple UTIs this year that made me really sick.  It could be because you have a infection eveything is going down hill. I would still go back to thr Dr if you have concerns. Hope you feel better soon

Tinker

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 04:56:16 PM »
Hi Gurs,
Sorry you are feeling so poorly.   

What meds are you on?  Take your BP.  I know you had surgery but I never read what the surgery was.  It's possible that something has gone wrong with the surgery, too.  Again, I am just guessing.

Isn't this the ssecond infection you've had since the procedure?  I thought I read you had a UTI once already.   

If you just got out of the hospital, you could have contracted an infection while in the hospital, too. 

Please check your temp, look for rashes, look in your throat, take your BP.  See if your urine has a funny smell or color.  Press on your baack (flanks) to check for pain. Do you hurt anywhere else?  What meds are you on?  Any one of those might be causing you problems.  Antibiotics are rough on the GI tract and can cause sensitivity.  There are so many things it could be but I'm no doctor. 

Guess you've already called the doc  Please keep us in the loop.  Wishing you well.

Pegasus47

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 07:15:26 PM »
UTI?  Drink canberry juice by the gallons.  I always have a gallon or 2 in my closet.  The acidity kills the E-Coli.  No drugs.  Can you stomach take it?  Give it a try.

The other symptoms maybe exagerated by anxiety.  Do you know how to do relaxation exercises, breathing, listening to relaxation tapes?  A friend of mine recently had a very bad attach of anxiety, went into the psycho ward.  She is now in intense trainng for relaxation technique so she doesn't go back on the potent narcotic pain killers, anti- psychodic and anti-depressants.  Good for her.  I really admire her spirit wanting to make a change in her life.  This change came with a crisis.

Pegasus

jstroble

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 07:52:35 PM »
It sounds like you have something more than a UTI going on. 

I hope  your doctor can give you an answer when you go. 

I am so sorry you are having such a hard time. 

Warm healing thoughts I am sending to you

Joyce

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 08:50:04 PM »
OK, I'm the queen of the UTIs, it seems

I have osteoarthritis, and all this Sjogren's.  ANY infection feels like the worst flu I've ever had.

I do NOT get burning on urination with a UTI, but I get a back ache and abdominal pain, pain in every joint, headache, total absolute misery.

I ALSO have Interstitial Cystitis, which means my Auto Immune condition is attacking my bladder, inflaming the lining of my bladder, which is why I get UTI's so easily

OH, and if you have IC, you do NOT drink cranberry juice, you do NOT eat any citrus or spicy things.  If you follow the IC diet.

I don't pay any attention to it myself, because my IC only makes me have UTI's and I don't get the terrible burning and frequent urination that so many get.  So the diet doesn't make much difference to me.

Anyway, I can get a sick as a DOG from a UTI,, or any infection.  I had a strep infection in a cyst on my back (yeah, who knew that COULD even happen), and I thought I was going to die.  When it was lanced and I started on the antibiotic I could FEEL the infection literally LEAVING my legs and arms, slowly, over a few hours.  It was like a  miracle.

I have also had a severe, almost life threatening kidney infection, and by the time it was caught I had e coli in my BLOOD.  So never fool around with an infection or serious feelings of illness.

Get yourself attention.  Take care of yourself.

Kisses

Carolina
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 05:19:10 AM by Carolina »
Female-72-CVID-pSJS-IC-Periph.Neuropathy-CAD-Osteoarthritis-POTS-Auto.Neuro-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Blepharitis,Meniere's/Deafness-Hiatal Hernia-IVIG-Gamunex-Medrol-Neurontin,Atenolol-Pilocarpine-Copper-Cymbalta-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-Alpha Lipoic-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-Turmeric,more..

irish

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 10:58:40 PM »
UTI's can cause big time symptoms and everyone is different in how they present with the symptoms. It can cause the chills, bloody urine, high fever, elevated white counts, or low temperature, back pain, bladder pain, general uneasiness from the stress of the infection on the body. Nausea, vomiting, etc. One could go on for a long time listing all the things that can happen

Unbelievable that they didn't check your urine when you were in the hospital. UTI's pretty much needed to be ruled out when people aren't feeling good because of their propensity for sort of hiding and raising all kinds of havoc. When working with the elderly a patient who has a change in behavior is immediately checked to see if they have a UTI. UTI"S are very weird in how they can show up in people.

Make sure that they check your kidney function and culture and identify the bacteria that is causing the mess. Also, when you are through with the antibiotics make sure that they have you come back to have a post-antibiotic UA done. This is done usually 7-10 days after you finish the antibiotic to make sure that the bacteria arne't starting to grow again. This can mean further treatment is needed and possibly a change in antibiotic is also needed. Irish ;D
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 03:48:18 PM by irish »

gurs

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 12:35:11 PM »
they checked my urine...clean now?? oh my gosh? they will culture it, but im sure its fine.
My internist said he thinks its my SS/Lupus doing all of this...he also find a small rash on my tummy so who knows-maybe lupus flare? I cant even lift my head up anymore and im
in so much pain. My neuropathy is 1000 times worse than ive ever had..very scary..cant function at all..so dizzy. Taking a bit more medrol...doesnt seem to be helping, prob
making my anxiety even worse.

Will wait for a few weeks and maybe have to try another round of rituxan soon. Ive ruled everything else out so not sure what else it could be but maybe a virus?
This headache/pain never goes away........and now my anxiety is just out of control.
50 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.

jstroble

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 03:40:12 PM »
Hi Gurs

I don't have any answers for you.  You sound so sick.  I just want to let you know that you are in my thoughts.  I wish I could help you. 

I am sending lots of hugs ,comfort and warm healing thoughts to you. 

Please  keep us informed how you are doing.   I hope you are able to keep reading the posts. I know it helps to know that you are not alone.

Joyce 

irish

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 03:52:16 PM »
I'm so concerned about you!!! It is the weakness that sounds so dangerous for you. Are you having any problems breathing?? Have you seen your neuro lately as in the past couple of days. I am wondering if they have considered plasmaphoresus for your current condition. Sounds like you are almost spiraling out of control. Please keep in contact with your doctors as they may have to do some intervention. You might need IV steroids also. Something to stop the terrible onslaught that is being done against your body. Let us know how you are doing. Irish ;D

gurs

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2010, 07:03:02 AM »
Thank you for all your thoughts....i saw my neuro in the hospital a few days ago and he just recommended some migraine medication??? are you kidding? something is making me so sick. I mentioned a virus from the Rituxan, and he said I wouldnt be talking if I had one, but Im starting not to trust any docs. I may go back to the ER and have a lumbar just to satisfy me...maybe i have some other type of virus or maybe my systemic yeast is causing some issues? who knows? I have never felt this ill before though.
I was up all night with this burning head pain and body pain that just wont quit..hurts more when i lay down.....soooo dizzy..losing weight...very scared.
Reumy doesnt know what is going on..labs not really indicating flare? ANA high and SSA/SSB high..always. they have checked alot out though, so at least im narrowing down stuff. I guess if nothing else shows
up, must be the autoimmune? I wish i could get IVIG, but i had bad reactions to them..guess i could try another brand of IVIG. They gave me killer headaches??
Uhhhhhhhh...do i sound confused?? sorry, just so sick and tired. Going to call the rheumy again today and see what she says.

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2010, 08:34:30 AM »
Dear gurs,

I hear how sick you are!   My heart goes out to you.

I don't know what you're taking, but I find Cymbalta and Oxcarbezapine (a Trileptal anti seizure drug) help tremendously with the pain and anxiety.

However, I rather think you are beyond that sort of medication, in terms of pain and anxiety.  However, for what it's worth, those DO help me.

We are all different when it comes to meds, of course.

Keep us posted dearest gurs, please.

Kisses

Carolina
Female-72-CVID-pSJS-IC-Periph.Neuropathy-CAD-Osteoarthritis-POTS-Auto.Neuro-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Blepharitis,Meniere's/Deafness-Hiatal Hernia-IVIG-Gamunex-Medrol-Neurontin,Atenolol-Pilocarpine-Copper-Cymbalta-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-Alpha Lipoic-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-Turmeric,more..