Author Topic: Parotid gland pain vs. abscess tooth?  (Read 5283 times)

Liz D.

Parotid gland pain vs. abscess tooth?
« on: July 12, 2010, 07:30:46 AM »
Has anyone had parotid gland pain that comes and goes throughout the day that actually feels like a toothache?  I have had this pain on and off for a few days now and at first I thought it was an abscessed tooth.  But it is now affecting one tooth on top and one on the bottom.  Can't imagine I have two abscessed teeth at one time in different areas.

My husband thinks it is my gland acting up and making my teeth hurt.  The gland is not swollen although sensitive to the touch.  (Usually happens when I am under stress.)  Has this happened to anyone else where you think you need a dentist, but you really don't?

Liz D.

P.S.  I feel if it was abscessed teeth, the pain would be constant, not intermittent.
50 year old female
Sjogrens Syndrome (diagnosed 2004, but problems started in 2000), hypothryoidism, asthma
Plaquenil 400 mg; Levoxyl 100mcg; Evoxac, Asmanex, Flonase, Protonix 40 mg., Prozac 40 mg., Junel 28 (bc pill), Xanax, Ambien

deeindiana

• Deb Perry Studio: photography & graphic arts
Re: Parotid gland pain vs. abscess tooth?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 08:27:25 AM »
I was a dental assistant for many years but a newbee to sjogrens. I can't tell you much about SS's effects on your parotid gland (I'm still learning about all the sad things it does to our bodies). But it would be simple to test those teeth for an abscess. A quick xray by the dentist would show even the tiniest abscess (or decay) that might cause pain. With two teeth hurting (top and bottom) it would be rather amazing timing if both of them abscessed at the same time, but weirder things have happened.

A tooth that has a small abscess can hurt intermittently. It's not until it gets bigger that it throbs all the time. Sometimes, biting can give a clue: when biting, a suspect tooth will often either feel a little better (if the nerve is damaged or dying) or extremely worse (if there is infection growing at the root).

If it keeps bothering you, a quick xray might ease your mind.
I hope you feel better.
Deb
Diagnosed June 2010.
Rheumy at University of Michigan Med Center. Age 52
Severely dry mouth & throat with difficulty swallowing, fibro, allodynia of the scalp.
Medications: Atenolol, Dexilant, Zoloft, Zocor, Flaxseed oil, Vit D, Nasonex, Plaquenil
I am my own worst enemy...

Liz D.

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 02:22:04 PM »
Thank you, Deb.  That was the reply I needed.

I have an appointment in the morning with the dentist.  I have had enough toothaches and abscesses to know, but was trying to convince myself it was something else because I don't want to go through the whole root canal process again.  Pain and $$.  Oh well.  My gut knows what it is, but you helped me to call the dentist instead of waiting til I am rocking back and forth in bed writhing in pain (which is what I usually do, then my dentist gets mad at me for not calling earlier.)

Thanks again!

Liz D.
50 year old female
Sjogrens Syndrome (diagnosed 2004, but problems started in 2000), hypothryoidism, asthma
Plaquenil 400 mg; Levoxyl 100mcg; Evoxac, Asmanex, Flonase, Protonix 40 mg., Prozac 40 mg., Junel 28 (bc pill), Xanax, Ambien

PrincessLeah

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 02:31:08 PM »
This may not answer your question entirely, but here goes --

I know from some bad dental work about 10 years back that tooth pain is very weird.  The nerves in your mouth are connected, and sometimes, you'll get pain in a nerve that's in a different spot from the tooth that's hurting.  My dentist said that it can transfer to the next tooth over, or even to teeth up above it.  It's called referred pain (like when someone has a heart attack, and their left arm hurts -- it's the same process.)

So a tooth hurting could be hurting the nerve on top too.

It's always a possibility. 

PL

Prairie Gal

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 06:25:33 PM »
I have had 2 or 3 teeth hurt all at the same time for a couple of days and then the pain goes away.  I told my dentist this has happened several times and I blame it on SjS.  He didn't venture an opinion. As long as the pain isn't too intense, and goes away in a couple of days, I don't call the dentist.

Prairie gal
72 y/o F; SjS; Raynaud's; Lichen Sclerosus; Prilosec; Flexeril; Clobetasol; Lisinopril. ToCo-Q 10; MegaEFA; Black Currant seed oil; 5-HTP; SAM-e; Slo-Mg; Vit D3; Calcium; Aleve; 81 mg aspirin; multi-vitamin/mineral; Vit. B1,3, 6 & 12.

evamarie

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 08:20:21 PM »
I also have pain intermittently in my mouth.  It feels as though one of my crowns is lifting.  When I put a hot compress on my cheek, the pain goes away.  I am pretty sure it is my glands.  This has happened 3 times now.  I didn't relate it to stress, but it makes sence.  Every day I learn more wonderful things about Sjogren's. 

Liz D.

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 11:40:18 AM »
Thank you all for your replies. 

I went to dentist and of course, I have two abscessed teeth and am now on antibiotics.  Just my luck!!  One of the abscesses is in on one of my molars that was already root canaled in 2001.  That probably means I may need a surgery called an apicoectomy, which I have had before.  (My mouth is a mess!!)  I have already had 14 root canals in my life.  It is ridiculous.

Anyway, I am on my way into Boston now.  Fortunately, my dentist was able to use his power to get me in quickly to one of the top endodontists in Boston, if not the world.  This guy has written books and everything and is a teacher at Harvard Dental school.  He was the one who did my first apicoectomy and many of my root canals, so he is familiar with my case.   That puts my mind at ease.  Just hope I can handle the pain while I get in there.  At least on the way home, I'll be all Novocained up!!!

Liz D.
50 year old female

wally

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 11:43:48 AM »
yup....sound's like a gland. I had this happen to my submandibular gland. I had a horrible infection and thought at first it was tooth pain. The dentist said no and gave me antibiotics for a gland infection. I was fine then. I did start to feel it come back a bit but it went away. All related to SJS I suspect. Wally
Female, 48 years
Primary Sjogren's Syndrome
Hereditary Hemochromatosis
take: Prozac, punctal plugs, multiple eye drops, prednisone for flares
            <><