Author Topic: My head hurts when I'm upright...  (Read 1924 times)

Suzie

My head hurts when I'm upright...
« on: July 18, 2010, 10:23:42 AM »
My head is really annoying me.
I feel like I have a spirit level in there that's only balanced nicley if my head is horizontal. If I can't lie down, then tilting my head to the side relieves the heavy concrete feeling a bit.

Anyone else get this? Does it sound dysautonomia-ish?

Suzie

anita

Re: My head hurts when I'm upright...
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 11:08:32 AM »
Suzie,

The only I can think of is pain from a spinal type headache.  This is something people get after a spinal tap, in which the spinal fluid leaks slowly and causes a headache (wicked one) when being upright...since gravity pulls the fluid away from around the brain.  The headache immediately resolves when horizontal.

Autonomic dysfunction does not typically cause headache...in any position.  It can cause light-headedness from a drop in BP when standing, but not just from being upright.

It is possible to have a small spinal fluid leak without having had a spinal tap.  If it continues you should get this checked out with your GP.

Best,
Anita

52 yr old SjS, APS w/strokes, Autonomic Neuropathy, PN, Nephrogenic DI, (CVID) IgG def., Cushing's, Asthma, Gastroparesis.  Sero-neg w/+ lip biopsy.  Meds: IVIG & pre-meds, Arixtra, Aspirin, Plaquenil, Cardizem, Toprol XL, Domperidone, Nexium, Midodrine, Symbicort, Fentanyl, Percocet, Zofran

LizPetillo

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 01:11:40 PM »
My problem is just the opposite.  I've been 'sleeping' (the little I get)  propped up or sitting up because when I lay down my tongue swells and the glands (or something) in my throat choke at me.  I'd love to be able to lay down to sleep. 

Suzie

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 10:56:40 PM »
Anita, thanks for the advice.
I had a spinal headache after a spinal tap last year. Yup, it was terrible. This is only a fraction as bad. With that, I had to be bent at the waist at all times for nearly 2 weeks. The sucking traction on my brain was gd-awful. But pain-free horizontal.

Liz, that sounds so awful. I have to lie down gradually or the room spins. I lie half propped up for 10 minutes, then gradually shuffle down to flat. And I'm desperate to be flat because of the head discomfort. It's mad.
But the choking thing must be so alarming and I'm so sorry for your suffering. I sure hope it quits soon.