Author Topic: Small bowel bacterial overgrowth, anyone?  (Read 4921 times)

YYC_ Mommy

Small bowel bacterial overgrowth, anyone?
« on: July 01, 2010, 12:27:03 PM »
As many of you I have been experiencing diarrhea, this is long before I started taking any meds. In fact that and my joint pain first sent me to the GI doctor as they thought I had Crohn's Disease as my younger brother has it. Long story made short, I do not have Crohn's and since was diagnosed with Sjogren's and still awaiting tests for neuropathy as my Rheumy thinks I have that as well.

I was at my GI doctor yesterday for a check up and to discuss gall bladder surgery. My HIDa scan is normal so she does not think my pain on my right side is from my gallbladder, although an ultrasound shows stones.

She thinks that due to Sjogren's and possibly neuropathy that I have Small bowel bacterial overgrowth which makes me have diarrhea. She said that they would normally do a hydrogen breath test but because of all the other things going on she said that it is reasonable to believe that this is the problem as all the other tests (including colonoscopy etc) were normal.

She wants me to take a 10 day course of antibiotics, she said that this can kill the bacteria that would be causing my problems.

I would have thought that she was kind of crazy BUT about a month ago I was on an antibiotic for a sinus infection (which is now coming back I might add, but I haev also been diagnoised with inflammitory sinus disease!) and during that time and since my diarrhea has been better. She said that that can happen, she wants me to keep the prescription and get it filled to take when I have my next bout and see if the same thing happens.

Does anyone else have this or had this.

tomsmom

Re: Small bowel bacterial overgrowth, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 01:07:21 PM »
I don't have small bowel bacterial overgrowth but I sympathize with the diarrhea situation.  Over the last five years I have long bouts with diarrhea.  For me it's due to my thyroid.  When I get anywhere close to the hyper side (like now) I can go anywhere from 10+ times a day.  It's pretty unpleasant.  I hope that your doctor finds a way to help you with this!

YYC_ Mommy

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 03:24:12 PM »
Thanks Tomsmom, I agree it sure it not fun when you have to run to the bathroom all the time.

I should have added that the GI doctor said that the small bowel bacterial overgrowth could be caused by motility issues arising from possibly Sjogren`s and or Neuropathy.

Just hoping that I  can find a solution to something :)

gphx

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 05:35:16 PM »
When you take antibiotics to wipe out the bad guys you're also wiping out the good. Please consider using probiotics when you're done with the meds to reestablish the good guys. When they are present and healthy they help prevent the bad guys from getting a foothold in the first place.
Dxed unspecific 'sicca syndrome' eyes and mouth. Neuro issues, muscle weakness. SS Seronegative but high inflammatory markers. Diabetes dx 2010. Glucose control improved neuromuscular issues. Enlarged thyroid under observation 2013. Yippee.

YYC_ Mommy

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 08:57:32 PM »
When you take antibiotics to wipe out the bad guys you're also wiping out the good. Please consider using probiotics when you're done with the meds to reestablish the good guys. When they are present and healthy they help prevent the bad guys from getting a foothold in the first place.
Thanks so much for that suggestion, I will make sure that I do that.

BonusMom

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 10:51:31 PM »
Unbeknownst to me, I had SIBO and had to take Xifaxin (or something along those lines) twice to clear it up.  I didn't have any of the "classic" symptoms: no diarrhea, no flu like symptoms.  I have gastroparesis and the food was just fermenting in my stomach.  A hydrogen breath test, which is just blowing in to a straw that is attached to a latex type balloon, is painless, although it does take a while to complete.

Good luck!

Calli66

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 07:38:30 AM »
You might also want to get the Fructose Malabsorption test (same type of test as hydrogen breath test--blow into a tube). This can be an over-looked problem that can go along with other digestive problems, including SIBO.

Many foods, not just fruits, contain an abundance of fructose, which can pass through the system ---not absorbed---only to cause an explosion of bacterial overgrowth (they love it!) in the intestines.

Symptoms include bloating--and the other usual digestive troubles, plus food sensitivity issues.

Calli

Kendo

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 10:31:02 AM »
I had already decided to call GI doc tomorrow to see if they had ruled out SIBO and then read these posts.  My malabsorption and diarrhea issues didn't resolve after 1.5 years strictly gluten-free and I still have low Vitamin D and therefore calcium.

YYC, did you have any bloodwork that led your doc to order the GI tests? I've had high folate for ages and apparently the bacteria can produce it - would explain a lot. I also have low leukocytes and a low anion gap that no one can explain.  But after 5 GI visits and endoscopy and colonoscopy with biopsies and a trial of cholestyramine, they said "Just take Immodium as required". Now I get to try to convince doc's admin assistant to get message through to him without looking like I am diagnosing myself (which I am because no one else is!).
Kendo
Seronegative for Sjogren's, Celiac, MG; ANA pos, eat GF, calcium disorder, asthma, probable myasthenia gravis, low potassium, low stomach acid, fat malabsorption.
Mestinon, calcium, Vit D, 600 mg NAC, multi Vit, B50 complex, potassium, evening primrose oil, fish oil

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010, 11:08:02 AM »
Kendo, one of the possible causes for the anion gap to calculate below normal range is a low level of albumin, and this can sometimes occur in chronic illness, or malnutrition (being careful to distinguish between starvation and the absence of certain nutrients which could trace back to malabsorption). Since Calcium levels and albumin are also closely related, your low Vitamin D may also play a part.

Sometimes, when faced with our complicated issues, docs can jump over the simple solution in their quest for the more involved.

Generally, if the albumin is low, the anion gap can be adjusted by adding 2.5-3 mmol/L for every g/dL decrease in serum albumin.
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

YYC_ Mommy

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2010, 06:15:05 PM »
YYC, did you have any bloodwork that led your doc to order the GI tests? I've had high folate for ages and apparently the bacteria can produce it - would explain a lot. I also have low leukocytes and a low anion gap that no one can explain.  But after 5 GI visits and endoscopy and colonoscopy with biopsies and a trial of cholestyramine, they said "Just take Immodium as required". Now I get to try to convince doc's admin assistant to get message through to him without looking like I am diagnosing myself (which I am because no one else is!).
Kendo
Hi Kendo, I did not really have any tests that led my doctor to ordering the Gi tests. My brother has Crohn's disease so I had a colonoscopy and endoscopy to rule out that and after that came back fine my doctor thought do to my Sjogren's and possible neuropathy (still awaiting testing for this to confirm) that it was reasonable to think that this could be my problem.

I hope that helps, best of luck to you when you speak with your doctor.

wally

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2010, 09:11:37 PM »
I had it this past spring and it went away after taking heavy duty antibiotics. I had never heard of it before and my gi doctor said people with sjogren's can get it easily. Wally