Author Topic: Salagen/Evoxac - help with very dry nose  (Read 4513 times)

Aquarius

Salagen/Evoxac - help with very dry nose
« on: June 29, 2010, 06:17:04 PM »
Hello, In 2009 I had an allergic reaction to the topical application of a vitamin E / herbal supplement applied on my gum under the frontal sinuses where I had a root canal. The "holistic" dentist had lanced the gum due to an infection and recommended the application of Vitamin E oil to heal the area.

I broke out in hives and within 5 hours my nose completely dried up.  As a result, I produce no nasal mucus or post nasal drip whatsoever.  I am very, very, very dry in my nose and sinuses with no mucus and no moisture.  Prior to the allergic reaction I had excellent sinus health and mucus.

This condition is physically and emotionally disabling and debilitating. 

ANA is 1:640 but negative SS-A and B.  I have dry eyes per testing and moderately dry mouth.

A lack of nasal mucus has also affected my digestion.  I no longer have intestinal gas since this happened as there is no post nasal drip for the intestinal bacteria to work on (sorry if too much information).

I also have intestinal inflammation (colitis) as there is no beneficial mucus to coat the intestines.  Mucus acts as an
inflammatory mediator.

Autoimmune diseases run in my family. One ENT doctor believes I  have Sjogrens. And the doctors have stated the same thing - they don't understand how something so devastating was triggered with a single small topical application of a supplement that is safe to swallow... but it did. This all started following the allergic reaction.

My questions are to those of you with very dry nose:  if you take Evoxac or Salagen, does it help a little or a lot with  dry nasal passages?  How long does the effect last?  Is the nasal moisture from these medications watery or more high quality mucus?

I have a fast heartbeat (in the 90s at rest) and need to weigh the potential benefit of taking these medications against the drawback of increasing the heart rate even more.

lynnmarie219

Re: Salagen/Evoxac - help with very dry nose
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 07:42:48 PM »
Hi Aquarius and welcome to Sjogrens World!

I have taken salagen for many years and personally don't notice any relief with my nasal passages. It does wonders in giving me saliva and it acts fast....but that's about it for me at least. Maybe others have had a different experience.

Also if you feel that this or any medication is affecting your heartbeat or causing it to increase...you really need to be talking to the doctor as this could potentially be a serious problem. Please work with your docs on this issue...its nothing to mess around with.

Welcome to the family....this is a friendly place and I hope you feel comfortable coming here for information and friendship!

Epson

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 07:56:00 PM »
Evoxac does a great job in relieving my dry nose.  I forgot how well it worked until I had to do without it for several days while in the hospital.

eyeamdry

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 09:25:28 PM »
I have to cancel Epson's vote and say that Evoxac helps with saliva, but not with dry nose.  We're all different and you wouldn't know until you try.  How about some of the nasal gel nose things you can buy OTC?  I can't think of the name of any now, but have used them before Sjs and they did help.  Lucy

Aquarius

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 10:08:55 PM »
I have tried a variety of saline nasal sprays (including Simply saline; Dr. Grossan's Breathe-xl with xylitol) and gels (including Ayr gel; Neil med naso gel) and Xlear. 

The saline sprays dry up immediately. 

Neil med naso gel has benzalkonium chloride as a preservative which is toxic to the cilia with regular use so I try to avoid. 

Xlear is the best of the lot but notice my throat and voice get and stay hoarse after using it.

Also since they all contain saline which acts as a mild decongestant which I don't need, my nasal passages feel even more open - too open. 

ohiolady

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 06:25:54 AM »
Evoxac helped my dry nose tremendously.  My nose was as dry as a desert until I started.  I had no mucous or moisture.  I would say it has increased both watery and mucousy moisture.

Anna
SJS  Hashimoto's   Mild Raynauds  GERD  Gastroparesis
Restasis, Evoxac, Dexilant,  Domperidone, Zofran and Synthroid. Fish Oil, Vit D and B12  R lipoic acid,  Acetyl L Cartnine, Vitamin B1, and The Perfect Food Green and Fruit supplement

Kidney Cancer Survivor   
Female   Age: 62