Author Topic: Itching all over  (Read 3141 times)

grandma7

Itching all over
« on: June 23, 2010, 02:24:47 PM »
I have recently been itching all over.  i looked over all the side effects of my medications, which are many, and honestly anything and all medications can at times cause
itching.  so what do i do. 
i have not started any new medication.  so it is not something new...

I think i am going to call my rheumatologist  and see what he thinks. 

sleeeepy

Re: Itching all over
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 02:37:19 PM »
Hello, maybe some Benadryl can get you through until Doc can figure out what is going on.

Makes me so mad because we have to take these meds to make us feel better only to find that their side effects make us feel bad in other ways...can we ever win? I hope you feel better soon!!!!

Take care....Mary

grandma7

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 02:52:15 PM »
Mary:  I have been taking Benadryl at night and the cream on my arms during the day.  I just wonder what it can be.  I heard somewhere at a Sjogrens meeting once that this woman had hives and itching all over.  they couldn't figure it out.  i wonder if anyone else with Sjogrens has these symptoms. 
I almost don't want to call the dr.  they make things more complicated...

thanks for the input.
L

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 03:18:03 PM »
Hi  :)

I think it would be a good idea to get the itching checked out. Sometimes meds can be hard on our livers and that can cause itching so it would be worth checking.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

navydad

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 03:26:01 PM »
sometimes I THINK i;m itching on my arms,, but then I realize its the neuropathy doing it,, do you have hives or raised spots on your arms or on your body anywhere?

Joy Cox

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 03:28:28 PM »
Hey L, Know this is not what you care to hear... PN (peripheral neuropathy) is what I'm blaming my itching on these days. Nerve related, maybe???

Took me a lukewarm bath night below last and poured a box of baking soda in the water. Soaked appx. 15 minutes. Helped during the night.

Hubby has been diagnosed with shingles Monday by doc. and just the thoughts of his situation 'makes my skin itch'!!! :(

Hubby usually rubs my back and back of arms with Cetaphil cream on nights when itching beyond my tolerance.

Does your scalp itch, too?  It's not dry skin since we're older, is it??  ::)    I'm a Mamaw to 4 grandkids, 7-9-11-13 years old.  Joy

grandma7

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 03:30:29 PM »
No hives, just itching under my skin.  then a spot on my head, then a spot on my stomach, and then on my knee.  just moves all over and over.  
i am having a lot of trouble with my cervical spine.  went for <MRI yesterday, DR said I have very bad responses with a lot of weakness in legs and arms.  i knew that
and knew about all the tingling in my arms and into my hands.  its just horrible.  i should find out results tomorrow.

grandma7

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 03:35:13 PM »
JOY,
I am thinking the same as you.  it is to sporadic and with all my spinal issues i think your right. 
i'm gonna try the warm bath tonight ...  then take some benadryl since i don't see the DR. till friday
should be getting results of MRI tomorrow.  i'm quite concerned since the NEURO exam showed a lot of problems.
on top of everything, last year i was in a car accident and that didn't help my neck. 

thank you so much to everyone.  i don't feel so crazy now.
L

grandma7

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 04:25:28 PM »
kamie, thank you so much... 

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 06:47:46 PM »
Dear grandma7,

It is possible to become allergic to a med after being on it for a long time.

One of the types of allergic itching that I get it the twinkling light effect (that's what I call it).  A sharp itch in one place, then another, high low, back and forth, head, crotch, face, leg, whatever!

Just itching flashing on and off everywhere.

That is an allergic itching for me, triggered by codeine, hydrocodone, and lamictal.

Other drugs have given me intense facial itching and swelling of my lips and eyes.

Yet another gave me flu like symptoms, and a rash that itched (sulfa).

If it is an allergy, taking Benedryl (or a non sleepy antihistamine) might help, but an allergy should be addressed since it is still there when you repress the symptoms.

I also found that I had itching all over the last time I was in the sun.   Not the intense 'twinkling' but just itch itch itch.

I a becoming sun sensitive, quickly as my PN and autonomic neuropathy progress.

Keep us posted please.

Kisses

Carolina
Female-72-CVID-pSJS-IC-Periph.Neuro.-CAD-Osteoarthritis-Auto.Neuro-SFN-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's Blepharitis,Meniere's/Deafness-Hiatal Hernia-IVIG-Gamunex-Medrol-Neurontin,Atenolol-Pilocarpine-Copper-Cymbalta-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-A Lipoic-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-Turmeric-Aleve-D3-Omega3

eyeamdry

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 06:54:45 PM »
I get things like bites (mosquito etc) and/or hives around my feet and hands.  Arms legs, neck. I usually put some spray stuff on them to stop the itching.  Not sure what this is--I am not around mosquitoes most of the times when this happens.  Ugh. Lucy.

Bobbie

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2010, 08:50:06 PM »
Hi,

I've been itching like crazy for the last couple of days.  I scratch so much I am bruising. Strange......
Graves, Addison's, Sjogren's, Anemic, Migraines, Fibro, Restless Leg, Uveitis, Erosive Inflammatory Osteoarthritis, Peripheral Neuropathy
Vit D Plaquenil Prednisone Florinef Synthroid Restasis Evoxac Iron Supplement Oracea Lexapro Trexamet Topiramate Gabapentin

Prairie Gal

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2010, 08:53:02 PM »
Itching can be from so many things so I hope your dr. is a good detective!  This page from the National Institutes of Health is all about Sjogren's.http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health_Info/Sjogrens_Syndrome/default.asp

Scroll down about halfway and you'll get to the section on itching.  And, yes, Sjogrens can cause severe itching.

Prairie gal
72 y/o F; SjS; Raynaud's; Lichen Sclerosus; Prilosec; Flexeril; Clobetasol; Lisinopril. ToCo-Q 10; MegaEFA; Black Currant seed oil; 5-HTP; SAM-e; Slo-Mg; Vit D3; Calcium; Aleve; 81 mg aspirin; multi-vitamin/mineral; Vit. B1,3, 6 & 12.

grandma7

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2010, 09:00:05 PM »
Prairie Gal,
this is what i have been looking for/.  thanks....................

irish

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2010, 12:00:01 AM »
I will get smaller hives--like dime sized on my upper back and lumbrosacral region plus itchy here and there. Feels like it jumps all over. I have learned from my immunologist that there is a chemical that autoimmune people have that will produce a itchy burning feeling under the skin. I can't remember the name of it right now. When this starts I will pop a Xyzal which is a newer antihistamine similar to zyrtec but with less sedating effects. This will usually be enough to stop things in their track.

It would be wise to check with your doctor and if he doesn't have a clue ask for referral to dermatologist who is tuned in to autoimmune skin diseases. They all should be but that isn't the way it works. HeHe. IRish ;D