Author Topic: Prednisone and Yeast Infections  (Read 7604 times)

bjnc

Prednisone and Yeast Infections
« on: June 16, 2010, 06:46:22 AM »
I have a prescription for 2 weeks of Prednisone to hopefully get me out of this bad flare that I am in right now.  However, I have been dealing with yeast infection problems for the past year or so.  I'm wondering if anyone had yeast infections worsen while on Prednisone.  If so, did the yeast infections get better when you stopped?

Thank you,

Becky
Female 53, diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis 1986; also have Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disease (in my case, a combination of Lupus and Sjogren's ; Grave's Disease.
Mobic, Sulfasalazine, Remicade (a biologic for Ps. Arthritis), Evoxac, Trazodone, Synthroid; Stool softener, Miralax

beautifulkrissy026

Re: Prednisone and Yeast Infections
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 02:04:30 PM »
Have not used prednisone but I just recently tested positive for Candida which is an over growth of yeast throughout the body. Because of this it makes you really susceptible to having yeast infections and a variety of other things to.

gurs

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 03:26:55 PM »
I have chronic systemic yeast all the time, steriods do lower the immune system so....you might want to ask your doc for some diflucan so it doesnt get out of control.
I take it everyday.....along with several probiotics, and natural supplements for candida.
50 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements

bjnc

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 03:58:54 PM »
Gurs,

Do you take Diflucan every day?  I have been on it once a week for about 4 months after taking 4 doses every 12 hours at first, when it was unbearable.  I'm not sure whether I have systemic yeast, but I do have very bad yeast infections that had spread to my inner legs and everywhere around there. It's not that bad right now, and I think it's getting better, but time will tell.

Becky
Female 53, diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis 1986; also have Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disease (in my case, a combination of Lupus and Sjogren's ; Grave's Disease.
Mobic, Sulfasalazine, Remicade (a biologic for Ps. Arthritis), Evoxac, Trazodone, Synthroid; Stool softener, Miralax

PrincessLeah

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 04:24:56 PM »
A nurse told me that in addition to lowering your body's natural defenses (which would kill off all the little yeasties), prednisone raises the glucose level in your blood and tissues (which the yeasties LOVE -- in fact, prednisone can cause problems for diabetics, and even CAUSE drug-induced diabetes).  She said it's not unusual for women on prednisone to get constant yeast infections because of this.

Diflucan is usually the first step, but if that doesn't work, there are other options.  Some yeast infections are Diflucan-resistant, and there are other systemic anti-fungals out there.  It depends what kind are making you sick.

PL

bjnc

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 06:20:21 PM »
I'm hoping that a fairly low does which starts tapering quickly but tapers slowly will not make the yeast worse.  The dr. gave me 19 days on it, but the last several days are almost nothing.  The slow taper is to avoid problems with my psoriasis.  I'm hoping this will get me out of the flare but not make the yeast worse.

Becky

Madderakka

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 12:28:23 AM »
You can also take acidophilus pills or eat yogurt with live cultures to help fight yeast infections.

LeoLady

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 01:46:05 AM »
I've only had 2 yeast infections and they were both caused by longterm antibiotics.  The one in my throat (yuck) they gave me a medication to gargle several times a day.  The other, a bit lower, the doctor had me drink a 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar every morning.  (double yuck  :P) Don't know why, but it worked - something about increasing your acidic levels.  I also ate yogurt as well.

LeoLady

gurs

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 06:37:22 AM »
Ive been on diflucan 100mg tabs for almost 2 years now.....not sure its even working anymore. I just went to infectious disease doc who can test a culture to see what
your resistant to...she mentioned trying sporanox liquid so i may give that a whirl...my yeast got super bad days after my rituxan infusion..prob was all the medrol
they gave me!!!  All I know is my yeast just got out of control after my hysterectomy and my hormones are whacked..that def has something to do with it. It just never clears up.
Maybe the sporanox will help me??/
50 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements

Pegasus47

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010, 01:33:50 PM »
Being on Prednison means lower immune defense.  I get pneumonia, not so much yeast.  Yeast is harder to treat in general.  So sorry to hear that. 

Do vaginal anti- yeast cream help?

Pegasus

beautifulkrissy026

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 08:16:12 AM »
I am trying to figure out how to battle the Candida yeast problem now, the diet was to hard for me. I did hear that taking diflucan or something along those lines can actually cause the yeast to become immuned to the drugs requireing you to take more and more. So be careful when doing this. Research it. Good Luck! I know I gave up on dealing with it.