Author Topic: 4 weeks on Plaquenil  (Read 2419 times)

sleeeepy

4 weeks on Plaquenil
« on: June 13, 2010, 07:50:54 PM »
Just an update on my starting Plaquenil: Four weeks since starting plaquenil and my pain has decreased about 50% and I am so happy so far.  I am hoping that as time goes on my pain will decrease even more?????  I have needed to add Naproxen to the mix as the Plaquenil was not acting fast enough on the inflammation.  Does Plaquenil even lessen inflammation??  

Just wanted to let you know that Naproxen(prescription) and Plaquenil is a good mix for me and MIGHT be a good mix for others that are looking.  The Naproxen can be very hard on the tummy as I learned one day..ouch....you MUST take with food!!!!  And I would also suggest prilosec or something else be taken to offset and prevent tummy damage.

Any advice about something else that may work better because I am trying soooo hard to avoid steroids :-\

I take 400 mg of Plaquenil daily and two 550mg Naproxen tablets daily never at the same time and always with food.  Take care.... Mary
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 09:01:10 PM by sleeeepy »

LeoLady

Re: 4 weeks on Plaquenil
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 01:18:40 AM »
Mary:

Way to go girl!  I'm happy to hear the Plaquenil is working for you.  I've been on 300mg for about 5 weeks and honestly haven't felt much different, but at least there are no side effects.  Perhaps my rheumy will increase the dosage when I see her again in August.  I have a prescription for Naproxen too but my stomach just won't handle it, food or no food.  I have to make do with 600mg Ibuprofen 2 x daily.  I'm trying to stay away from steroids too for now.  No telling about the future, though.

So glad you're feeling better.  :)

LeoLady

sleepy

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 04:12:29 AM »
I did not realize Naproxen was a prescription, I thought it was OTC. I agree Plaquenil works for me too but I need food in my stomach before taking it or watch out!!! Lol. The Plaquenil is turning my hair orange, but at least it helps with the pain.

gurs

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 05:21:45 AM »
Sometimes plaquenil takes almost a year to kick in..dont give up just yet. If your not having any side effects, would stay on it. Make sure you have
your field vision test every 6 months though.
52 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements

inga

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 03:36:02 PM »
Naproxyn over the counter is sometimes called Naprosyn or Aleve.

It can be given in larger doses as precription.  All meds have a brand name and generic name and it is important to know both.