Author Topic: sudden lump/bruise on leg but no injury?  (Read 34785 times)

susanr

sudden lump/bruise on leg but no injury?
« on: June 11, 2010, 08:26:00 PM »
Hi All - Just got back from the ER and had to ask if anyone else has had this happen. I had been sitting on the couch with my legs elevated, then got up to hang some laundry. I noticed pain in the front of my leg, felt like I had bruised it, but I hadn't and it was fine right before. I kept hanging laundry, then bent down to see what was going on and there was a huge swollen lump, like 1/2 a baseball size, slightly bruised and my ankle was swollen. My family was pretty shocked, my husband took me to the Er. They did bloodwork, all came back normal so they said I must have bruised it and not known it (I know I did not). Anyway, after elevating it for the 2 hours there, the swelling has gone down but there is still a discolored large lump and it hurts. I have a multitude of symptoms from this, but this is something new. The leg also feels a bit cold. It is very weird! I had just done my methotrexate injection, but pretty sure that had nothing to do with it.
So, if anyone else has had something like this I'd appreciate knowing!
Thanks.
Sjogren's, hypertension, Hashimotos, Raynauds, UCTD, thyroid cancer 2004, GERD, arthritis, tendnonitis, IBS, Interstitial cystitis
Methotrexate, Plaquenil, levoxyl,diovan,nexium,vitamin d, restasis, metoprolol, sertraline

Autoimmunity

Re: sudden lump/bruise on leg but no injury?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 11:04:57 PM »
I many times end up bruised with no known cause.  I had a massive one on the inside of my arm about a year and a half ago.  Looked like I had been attacked or something.  I had no recollection of hitting it or otherwise.  But yours sounds strange with a big lump and swollen ankle.  And I would be a little concerned about your leg feeling cold, unless that is from having the leg itself elevated?  If not, you may wish to have it re-evaluated ???
Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hashimotos, PCOS, Narcolepsy, Raynauds; Sjogrens?; Gerd; Eczema; Migraines, Xeljanz, Nuvigil, Armour Thyroid, Vit. D, Vit. B12, Zantac, vicodin, spironolactone, topamax

susanr

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 09:22:20 AM »
Thanks, it truly is weird! Today it is better, I've been resting and icing it. There is still a fairly large slightly discolored swollen area on the side/front of my lower leg and it feels worse than it looks. I have been bruising easily lately too, didn't think alot of it, but this is bizarre. I am calling my Rheumatologist Monday.
Sjogren's, hypertension, Hashimotos, Raynauds, UCTD, thyroid cancer 2004, GERD, arthritis, tendnonitis, IBS, Interstitial cystitis
Methotrexate, Plaquenil, levoxyl,diovan,nexium,vitamin d, restasis, metoprolol, sertraline

peachpop

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 09:41:27 AM »
Definitely call the Rhuemie, but I get unexplained bumps all the time...  except mine are multiple bumps in the same area that look like gigantic infected mosqiuto bites!  I went to the ER many times for them as they appear out of no where and freak me out, but they too said it must have been a bad bug bite or allergic reaction - NOT!  Sometimes I wonder if we will ever be able to distinguish between problems caused by Sjogrens and outside factors.

susanr

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 09:59:01 AM »
I know! This thing is about 3 -4 inches long, about 2" across and feels kind of hard, I wondered if perhaps it was a spider bite at first, but no evidence of that. I never felt a thing, just suddenly felt like I was hit in the leg with a baseball bat. The lovely dr in the ER asked if maybe I was an alcoholic and fell down and didn't know it (I don't drink at all)! At the time this thing was huge, think I would have noticed an injury that could have caused it!

Autoimmunity

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2010, 02:34:13 PM »
That's insulting.  Nice ER doc  :-\
Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hashimotos, PCOS, Narcolepsy, Raynauds; Sjogrens?; Gerd; Eczema; Migraines, Xeljanz, Nuvigil, Armour Thyroid, Vit. D, Vit. B12, Zantac, vicodin, spironolactone, topamax

Nancy60

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2010, 09:28:07 PM »
I have gotten something similar but not as large and usually on my hands or feet or ankles.  It looks and feels like an blood vessel burst (sharp pain that hurts like the dickens!) and bled into the soft tissue, formed a large lump/knot that was red and warm and tender like a bruise.  within a day it usually goes down but the redness, bruise and tenderness and slight swelling remain for a few days, then it is gone.  Nobody can seem to explain it as I didn't bump or hit or injure anything to cause it.

Not much help to you, but it does happen to me too.

Nancy