Author Topic: iMURAN  (Read 1739 times)

tmarie0183

iMURAN
« on: June 08, 2010, 08:27:37 AM »
So went to the rhuemy yesterday, and told him how I was getting worse and not better, and how there were five new spots on my brain MRI.  He wants to add Imuran to my list of meds.  Has anyone ever taken this and had success with it??

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
Re: iMURAN
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 11:25:38 AM »
I don't know about it, but here's the Wikipedia Link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azathioprine

Carolina
Female-Elaine,78-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3-Naltrexone-Omeprazole-

Chickpea

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 11:40:31 AM »
I haven't been on Imuran but I'm sure someone who has will be along soon to tell you all about it.  For over a year I was on CellCept (Mycophenolate Mofetil) which is another immunosuppressant initially developed to stop rejection of new organs after transplants:  hearts, kidneys etc.  They work in the same way but apparently Imuran is a lot cheaper than CellCept!

I didn't find the side effects were too bad but I did have to be careful about picking up infections because your immune system is suppressed.  That's actually why these meds are prescribed for SjS, RA etc because we have immune systems that have gone awol.  The hope is that if the immune system is suppressed it will re-jig itself and start to behave.

Take care - Chickpea

LeoLady

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 03:12:43 AM »
Chickpea:

I thought our immune systems were in overdrive, that's why they attack the moisture glands, etc.  ??? Or is it that they have gone berserk? 

My rheumy wanted to put me on an immunosuppresant when I was first diagnosed but I declined when I read the side effects.  I'm raising my 5 grandkids and they bring home every bug in the universe so I figured I'd be better off without it, for now...

I'd appreciate your input.  Thanks.

LeoLady

Chickpea

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 10:37:48 AM »
Hi LeoLady

Our immune systems are in overdrive and that's why suppressing them is supposed to help, or at least give them a scare so that they start to behave.  That's what I meant by 'awol' but I think 'berserk' as you put it is even more apt!

Reading your profile it looks as though you're already on quite a lot of meds so if the SjS is holding steady then don't worry about immunosuppressants.  For some of us it arrives suddenly and hits fast; for others it's a slow burning thing.  I'm one of those people who was diagnosed with MS initially, and then with 'SjS with central nervous system involvement' when the MRI and lumbar puncture results didn't fit the MS picture.  My life has changed beyond recognition in just a few years so I thought it was worth risking the side effects.  The side effects of CellCept were manageable, but I couldn't deal with those from Cytoxan.  But that's just me; others have different experiences. 

With 5 grandchildren bringing home every cold and virus known to woman you're certainly better off without immunosuppressants.  My children are all in their 20s but there are no grandchildren in sight, sad to say.

Thinking of you - Chickpea