Author Topic: Helminthic Therapy  (Read 900 times)

Navigator

Helminthic Therapy
« on: June 01, 2010, 02:39:51 PM »
Hi

I saw this topic in an AOL news feed. I went to the website and it is about treating autoimmune diseases with hookworm/whipworm infestations (non breeding variety- it says).

The company is in the UK. and the website is www.autoimmunetherapies.com  .  Anyone ever try this?  It costs a little over $3000. and supposedly slows down/stops progression.  But at least it is honest and doesn't say it has loads of proof on that.   No data...just anecdotal testimony.  Anyone ever broach the topic with their MDs???

Does anyone know if there is research going on in this area for SJS?

I am by no means promoting this concept. ...I just ran into it on AOL.

Hashimotos, Primary SJS, Celiac
Synthroid, Plaquenil, Crestor, Evoxac, Meloxicam (if needed), Prednizone (if needed),Vit D, Fish Oil, Restasis

irish

Re: Helminthic Therapy
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 03:52:05 PM »
Navigator, I wouldn't touch that one with a 12 foot pole. I can't imagine anyone sitting and letting them infest your body with these bugs! Also, if it was written  in stone that it was safe and the bugs wouldn't attach in my body and replicate, I still wouldn't do it. Yuck!!! Irish ;D

sleeeepy

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 04:15:32 PM »
I agree, I would stay away from this treatment as well.  I am always saying that I would do ANYTHING to feel better, but I think I would run from this.  It reminds me of when they would give people TAPEWORMS to help them lose weight......YIKES!!  No way!!!   Take care....Mary

eyeamdry

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 07:01:42 PM »
If you have $3,000 you want to give away, I'll go out and find these worms.  Gaaaaaaaag.  For that much $$ I'll do it. 
I am kidding.  Don't anyone fall for this total bull baloney.

Lucy

inga

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 08:00:11 PM »
Well what rubbish.  I have been infested with Lyme disease....and I don't feel any the better for it!

If I want germs, I will 'forget' to wash my hands after cleaning my chickens, or hike down to the river and stand in the swill and wait for leeches to suck me dry...but pay $3000 for it....Pfffff.  Nice website tho.

Patze

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 09:24:58 PM »
Oh no, nope, нет, nu, nincs, nein are the only languages I could come up with in response to that ad!

I'm with the others, YIKES is right!

Patze
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 09:31:19 PM by Patze »
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

Nancy60

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 03:21:27 AM »
Ewwwwwwwww......that's all I have to say!

Calli66

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 10:40:43 AM »
I remember reading about this---thought it was in Scientific American recently, but I'm not sure. It sounds gross, but it makes a lot of sense to me. Read more at this Wikipedia page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helminthic_therapy#Research.

They choose whipworm and hookworm species that are not native to human intestinal tract, so there is little danger of infestation or spread.

I like to keep an open mind about these things. Although disgusting-sounding, the side-effects are definitely not as dangerous as some of the strong drugs available for treating autoimmune diseases. I have not read anything about this therapy being used for Sjogren's, but for Chrohn's, ulcerative colitis it seems to work.

It does have a scientific basis, and is surely an alternative to expensive drugs pushed by pharmaceutical companies. I wouldn't think that Big Pharma would touch this with a ten foot pole. Other researchers, however, sound like they are motivated by finding answers and relief for patients---not just profit.

Calli

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 10:53:52 AM »
EEEEEEEK

Maybe I can bring myself to read beyond the word 'hookworm' the next time through.

Carolina
Female-72-CVID-pSJS-IC-Periph.Neuro.-CAD-Osteoarthritis-Auto.Neuro-SFN-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's Blepharitis,Meniere's/Deafness-Hiatal Hernia-IVIG-Gamunex-Medrol-Neurontin,Atenolol-Pilocarpine-Copper-Cymbalta-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-A Lipoic-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-Turmeric-Aleve-D3-Omega3

inga

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 11:05:02 AM »
I have read about them using worms for Crohns....and yes, it does make sense, if you can tolerate the thought.  One of my daughters (an adopted one) has Crohns and it is getting critical for her...........but I can't for the life of me, imagine her tolerating worms.  Yes, they have made a huge difference for people.....so have leeches.  Lyme....not so much!