Author Topic: A Good Appointment!  (Read 3188 times)

lynnmarie219

A Good Appointment!
« on: May 29, 2010, 11:35:00 AM »
I like to share my good news when I have a very good appointment and actually feel like I got "my moneys worth".  :)

I went to my pulmonologist yesterday for a routine yearly checkup and to get a re order of my meds. I see him because I have asthma and a sleep disorder.

I got everything I needed PLUS he will be ordering my provigil for me which I wasn't able to get my neuro do for whatever reason over the last several months (long story...previous post). That in and of itself made me very happy as it is my lifesaver at work and my work has been suffering for it recently!

He is also looking into my very bad sinus and/or allergy problems. I have had this going on for over a year with the last 3 months being very bad and no treatments to date (prescribed meds from my GP or OTC) have worked. I actually thought he would just refer me to an ENT but he ordered a CT of my sinuses and is treating this problem very aggressively with a 12 day prednisone taper and 2 different prescription nasal sprays that he gave to me right there in the office. He also gave me my 2 regular inhaler samples to hold me over until my mail orders come in...I was like WOW!

I never thought the pulmonologist would deal with my sinus and allergy issues, but he is and I am happy and all is well with the world today! :D 

Katybarstool

Re: A Good Appointment!
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 11:50:54 AM »
Lynnmarie

That sounds like a wonderful, reassuring appointment. I've never seen a pulmonologist, but my GP, who treats my asthma, put me on a nasal spray about 4 years ago, and it's surprising what a difference it has made to my 'reliever' inhaler use. Apparently, it's not uncommon for people with asthma to have 'post nasal drip', which exacerbates the asthma. So hopefully, your sprays will help the sinus and asthma problems.

Hugs
Kathyx

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 02:15:58 PM »
For all of us with Sjogren's and/or dryness, keeping our sinuses and all nasal passages clear is essential!.  If my nose becomes blocked I start breathing through my mouth.  And then all the pilocarpine, salagen, evoxac in the world won't keep my mouth from feeling like it's made of sandpaper.

I use Nasonex religiously.  A year ago I ran out and thought, pooh, what's one RX?  I have so many, let's see how I do without it.

Well I found out, and it was sheer misery.  My nose blocked, I started breathing through my moouth and life was unbearable.

It is wonderful to find doctors who understand what we need and make it happen.

YAY good doctors who LISTEN and respond.

Keep us posted

Kisses

Carolina
Female-Elaine,78-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3-Naltrexone-Omeprazole-

Cheryl

• Sjogrens Staff
    • Enter here for chat room:
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 04:57:30 PM »
Lynn,
  It's good to hear about your productive visit to the pulmonologist!  Hope you get it all under control soon;  it sounds as if he's determined to help you.  :)
Cheryl
Chat co-host on Thursdays at 8:00 Eastern time

Patze

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 05:52:49 PM »
Hey Lynnmarie,

Can I borrow your pulmonologist pretty please?  Mine is becoming a pain in the backside!

Take care my friend -

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

YYC_ Mommy

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 06:09:06 PM »
Wow that is great to hear that you had a wonderful doctor's appointment. Those do not always go hand in hand!

I too have been suffering with sinus issues since last August. A recent MRI showed that I had sinus issues that looked like Inflammatory Sinus Disease. My Rheumy sent me for more tests and I am waiting to go back to him to check it out. I have been on Nasonex as well as Biaxin XL, which have not helped.

Please keep us posted on your progress, again nice to hear that your doctor is taking the very best care of you.

lynnmarie219

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 06:21:14 PM »
In addition to the 12 day prednisone spurt he gave Nasonex (which I tried once a long time ago for a short time but I was no way as sick as I am now) and Patanase which I have never tried.

I just have to watch my blood sugars a little closer for a bit with the prednisone as I am a diabetic...but if it all helps...I can do that!

Thanks for all of the comments and yes Patze...you can surely borrow him! We should have a pool of good "ologists that we can all share....I think that would work, dont you all?  ;D

tedebear710

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 07:21:27 PM »
I am so happy you had a great experience with your Pulmonologist...it's wonderful that he took charge of your sinus and asthma problems and is proactively treating them.  I wanted to ask you about your experience with Provigil.  My Rheumy really does not take my fatigue problem seriously.  I work full-time, have a two-hour commute to/from work, and took over raising a 10-year old grand-daughter early last year.  Feeling dead tired makes everything twice as hard.

Fortunately, my Neurologist who I see for peripheral neuropathy/RLS was more than happy to give me a prescription for Provigil, 100 mg. once a day.  (Isn't it ironic my Neuro was the helpful one?)  I took the first dose this morning and saw a BIG improvement.  Did you notice that it didn't work as well after a period of time, or did it continue to help long term?  I am crossing my fingers that my body won't become immune to it.  Thanks for any advice you can give about it.

Hugs,
Mary 

lynnmarie219

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010, 05:04:00 AM »
Hi Mary,

Provigil is my lifesaver!

It helps me continue to work, drive safely, and get through long days. I dont take it everyday as it is not a med that has to build up in your system...I only take it on days that I need it.....I dont ever take it on weekends or other days when I am just at home....so for me it hasnt had that effect of my body getting used to it and losing the effects and I have been taking it for years now. I take 200 mg for my dose. and I know the dose can be adjusted as needed by your docotr.

Good luck....I hope it continues to help you as it has helped me!