Author Topic: What is the difference between Sicca Syndrome and SJS?  (Read 2404 times)

Tinker

What is the difference between Sicca Syndrome and SJS?
« on: May 23, 2010, 07:20:30 PM »
When I googled this a while back, they were used as if they were the same thing.  Are they? TY

Pegasus47

Re: What is the difference between Sicca Syndrome and SJS?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 08:27:02 PM »
Yes, sounds like they are the same disease.  Just a different name for it.  Why are you interested?

Pegasus

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 08:35:33 PM »
Hi  :)

Without positive bloodwork for SjS, docs will call it 'sicca'. Other things can cause the dryness too - again sicca. Then there are the docs who WILL dx SjS even without the bloodwork. It's all a bit of a mystery!

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

inga

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 10:05:19 PM »
It is best to identify the cause of Sicca.

If one has + blood work, at least a + ANA, then one can assume some autoimmune process.  A positive SSA or SSB usually clinches the diagnosis....but, again it depends on your doctor.

It IS important.  Some neuropathies are autoimmune and Sjogren's is known for small fiber neuropathy.  To substantiate aggressive treatment, one must have an inflammatory etiology.

Seronegative Sjogrens, with all the other criteria, could be prodromal....then again, maybe not.

I would want to know why I had sicca, not just assuming it was Sjogren's.

Tinker

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 10:21:45 PM »
Yes, sounds like they are the same disease.  Just a different name for it.  Why are you interested?

Pegasus

I only wanted to know because I am sero pos. for Sjs, and my rheummie wrote I had sicca.  I'd never heard of it before so I looked it up. 

That's all....just wondering.

Tinker

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 10:28:10 PM »
Thanks everyone for your input.  Oddly enough, I started out with dry eyes and mouth, but my eyes are almost too wet (with no meds.)  I am sero pos. SS-A and clinical presentation for SJS.

I am very lucky my eyes are wet.  They look terrible though....all red , droopy eyelids, ...it looks like I have dry eyes but they are good!

anita

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 05:36:22 AM »
Tinker,

Your doctor may have been using the Sicca name for insurance purposes.  Certain treatments won't be approved (YET) under the sjogren's name.  My doctor has used Sicca in order to get insurance to pay for high dose IV steroids, even though my official diagnosis is sjogren's. 

50 yr old SjS, APS w/strokes, Autonomic Neuropathy, PN, Nephrogenic DI, (PID) IgG def., Cushing's, Asthma, Gastroparesis.  Sero-neg w/+ lip biopsy.  Meds: IVIG & pre-meds, Arixtra, Aspirin, Plaquenil, Nitro, Cardizem, Imdur, Toprol XL, Domperidone, Nexium, Midodrine, Symbicort, Oxycontin, Zofran

Patze

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 06:51:14 AM »
Hi Tinker,

Think of SICCA as a large car dealership, and SJS as one particular car on the lot.  I know it's very simplistic, but there are so many things that can cause dry mouth and eyes.

Forgive me, it's an "oh my gosh" I'm awake(?) Monday, ugh! ;) :D

Take care of yourself -

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

inga

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 01:01:55 PM »
Sicca gets me no treatment.  My docs use Sjogren's.  They are coded the same and they should not be.

Patze

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 08:06:28 PM »
I agree with you Inga, they should not be coded the same, but I was lucky and was treated for SICCA long before the doctor flipped the diagnosis to SJS.

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

inga

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2010, 08:26:56 PM »
It's funny.  I just had a big go around with insurance on the sicca versus Sjogren's thing.  It is getting tiring.  Sicca is only ONE of my issues, and not my major issue.  Sicca is a car in my parking lot of Sjogren's.  I also have one parked in the GI section, the Neuro section (actually several cars in this section due to autonomic stuff), the ortho section, the cardio section, and last and least, the rheum section.

To me Sicca is the dryness, Sjogren's is the whole shebang.....or whatever they end up calling the whole shebang....It is still a hung jury.

Tinker

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2010, 09:33:05 PM »
Hey everyone,  I'm sooooo glad I asked this question!  And I thought the answer would be simple. 

Not!  Inga, you are sooo right. Had to laugh!

Dryness is not a big , big issue with me and it used to be.  So, I use the biotene toothpaste and have raw spots on the gums so I have to be careful when I brush.  But the tongue doesn't burn anymore.  One area I have improved in!!