Author Topic: At Work Today-UPDATE  (Read 7875 times)

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
At Work Today-UPDATE
« on: May 11, 2010, 01:32:32 PM »
I didn't know if this day at work was ever going to end. I was scheduled to be at a meeting for a student. I went, we got through it, and then when others were leaving, the principal ask me to stay with her and the supervisor of my department.

Well, they let me have it. They were saying I have missed too much this year. The supervisor said she don't know why I can not be there just because I am sick, because she comes to work sick. I just didn't even give a response to that. She doesn't have any illnesses. I just sat there and listened, and prayed to God to help me through this.

They said they will be talking to the superintendent to let her know. I just said, ok. I was thankful for having many files to work on while the students were outside having a end of year field day. It kept my mind focused on something, instead of how I felt inside, which was to get up and call my husband to come and get me out of there.

Everyone would you please pray for me. Decisions may be made for me. I don't know yet.

In a daze.

susanep :(
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 08:05:33 PM by susanep »
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi

bloodless

Re: At Work Today
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 01:40:01 PM »
Oh, gosh! I'm so sorry. They have no idea what you have to withstand. Have you told them you have sjogrens? If so, you'd think in the education field, they would look it up and realize how hard you really are working to be there. I suppose the best that you can do is tell them the doctors are trying to stabilize your condition and there's nothing you'd like better than to be at work. Praying for you!
I miss the good old days. Things were more like they used to be back then.

Sjogrens, Lupus, Fibro, GERD

Katybarstool

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 01:53:59 PM »
Susan

My heart goes out to you. How dare they! Is there some way you could talk to them about Sjogren's, and ask them to make some adjustment to your work?

I will definitely pray for you.

God bless.
Kathyx

syng4hym

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 01:55:17 PM »
Go quickly to your doc and have FMLA papers signed so you can be out whenever you are sick and they can't do anything about it.  They HAVE TO save your job or one just like it for you.  You get 12 weeks/yr of FMLA. 

susanep

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 02:02:21 PM »
They both know I have sjogren's due to my rheumy last year sending them info about it, and telling them I needed reasonable accommodations, such as not having to be out in the sun, and not having to stand in the cafeteria more than 15 minutes before sitting down.

I did say before I left , I guess I should have had the papers filled out for the medical leave act, and the supervisor said, well if you need it, then said, but susan you have to take so much time at one time. I said, I know how it works.

susanep
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi

Pisces24

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 04:26:02 PM »
I believe you get up to 6wks per year on FMLA. Whether that is taken as vacation time or unpaid time is up the the work's policies.

When your are ill with something covered by the disesase on the FMLA, you have to see the dr who filled out the paperwork to verify it. I believe you and the dr then let you work know that you are out due to the FMLA covered illness.

I also didn't want to fill out FMLA paperwork because I didn't think I needed it yet.
BUT, I am very susceptible to infections and got the H1N1, 101temp, etc etc and work threatened to reprimand me if I didn't come in. My gp was soo ticked and astonished that he said I should go the FMLA route and filled out the paperwork. I have/had not missed much work either but my employer has rigid "time off" policies.

I don't know if they can just kick you out without a written documented warning. Check when the last time off you were out? Did you see your dr then? I may be not too late to have that time covered - I don't know.
But YES - get the FMLA paperwork done ASAP.

Patze

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 06:40:26 PM »
Aw Susan, let me send you some giant soft hugs my friend...

Take care of yourself, and keep us updated, okay?

Patze
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 06:52:47 PM by Patze »
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

lynnmarie219

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 07:09:43 PM »
Susan,

So sorry that you are going through this...I will keep you in my thoughts!

FMLA allows you 12 weeks in a 12 consecutive month time period and it doesnt matter what time incrememnts you take the time off in. I count my one day off when I go for my out of town Dr. appts as FMLA...it DOES NOT have to be an extended leave.....it just can not go over 12 weeks total in the 12 months. FMLA will protect your job up to that point.

Hang in there my friend....hugs to you....

susanep

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 07:22:03 PM »
I will let you all know what happens. I don't know what I would do if I didn't have you here to come to. I took a long nap, and a half of sleeping pill to relax. Even times I don't post due to my mind, I always pray for everyone here.

Thank you
God Bless
susanep

eyeamdry

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 08:12:01 PM »
Susan, I went through this 5 years ago.  Please follow through on the FMLA with your doctor and make sure you take care of your responsibilities. 
Once this is brought into being, they have to back off you as long as you're doing your part.

If you follow the FMLA, and some months down the road you find you have to file for disability, this could possibly make all the difference in the world.  I don't know for sure, all states, employers etc are different.  Find out if your employer has short term disability.  What I ended up doing was going on to short term disability through my employer then on to Social Security Disability.  I don't mean to mean that you can do any of this, but if I did not have all my ducks in a row, I'd have been out of luck.  Everyone told me that I wouldn't be able to get social security including the eye doctor who messed up my eyes.  They were wrong.

Suzy

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2010, 09:09:13 PM »
Susan,

I am so sorry that you are dealing with this. My heart goes out to you. I just want to march in there and tell them what's what! >:( This should fall under some sort of anti-discrimination law! Geesh!

Keep your chin up.

Suzy

harrigan

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 01:35:17 AM »
Susan, so sorry you are met with such difficulties at work.  Not sure how the law differs but here in UK your Head would not be allowed to have such a discussion with you 'tagged on' to another meeting.  You would have to be informed of the meeting to discuss your absence and would also be recommended to take in your union rep with you.  The treatment you received with 2 staff 'mobbing' you with concerns you were not prepared for is unacceptable and unprofessional.  So sorry you had to go through this.

Just wanted to let you know you are in my thoughts as you begin to sort through all this.  Be strong and remember - when the ignorance of others prevents them from understanding how much you have to bear, your family here understand and care.  XX Ailsa
Female, 54
Diagnosed with Sjogrens March 09; Rheumatoid Arthritis February 2010
Meds: abatacept, Methotrexate injections , Folic Acid, Amitriptyline, Ozepramole, Tramacet, Glandosane & Viscotears.

susanep

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 03:15:38 AM »
Thank you so much everyone. I can't begin to tell you what it means to me  right now. I am up, and getting ready for today at work. I won't talk to those 2 again without a union representative. I am hoping for a private meeting with the superintendent, because she has known me since I began teaching 15 years ago. Well almost 16 now.

susanep

lynnmarie219

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2010, 04:44:25 AM »
We will be with you and behind you today in spirit Susan!

jstroble

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2010, 06:47:17 AM »
Susan

I will be thinking of you.  I had  a similar experience.  Definitely not fun!

Joyce