Author Topic: NEW 10 minutes/30 Day Commitment starts May 5th  (Read 29546 times)

Katybarstool

Re: NEW 10 minutes/30 Day Commitment starts May 5th
« Reply #135 on: May 24, 2010, 01:40:17 PM »
Mac

Sorry to hear about the tick. I remember taking one off my dog, and he was good too. Hope your leg feels better soon.

Today I had a flexi day from work. The weather was glorious again, and the chap who came to help clear my messy garden did a stirling job. I spent about an hour outside today, planting bizzie lizzies and petunias in my tubs. I was careful not to go out til after 3 pm though.

There was a bluetit in my garden today. I didn't know what it was of course, but having checked out the bird book, I now know what it was. The gardener said he thought there might be a nest, so I'm going to keep a look out for more.

Back to work tomorrow - groan! Oh, got my confirmation letter for my surgery  -17 June. Will be in hospital 4 days, and a minimum of 6 weeks off from work. I just hope the sun shines for that  6 weeks. It will be nice to sit in my tidy garden and listen to the birds.

Kathyx

SassieCat

« Reply #136 on: May 24, 2010, 09:57:05 PM »
Saturday was rainy and had thunder storms so I really didn't go out.  ((I know))  But Sunday was beautiful and I spent a few hours outside planting flowers and doing a little weeding.  Today, I feel the joints are a bit stiff, but I still made it outside to water the new flowers and sit and hold the kitty for a spell. 

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #137 on: May 25, 2010, 07:22:46 AM »
Day 21

Good morning you lovely members of Sjogren's World . . . it's Tueeeeeeeeesday!   ;D  Today is Day 21 of our 30 day commitment to being outside for at least 10 minutes each day.

Wow . . . lots of thunder last night!   :o   :o  I heard some storms early, early this morning too.  Right now, the sun is shining and the thermometer is climbing.  Ugh!  Yesterday, we hit 91 degrees!!  Waaay too hot for me!  They say we'll have storms on and off today - I bet by evening they will kick in again with all the heat and humidity.  This morning I did my errands - loading and unloading groceries. 

Today is a busy day for me, so no real time to linger outside past my 10 minutes as I have "indoor" things to take care of today.  My Dad is flying in tonight from Ohio to be here for a couple of days (to see him grandson graduate from eighth grade).  Yay . . I miss my Dad - I only get to see him once a year.

Mac - I'm glad you found the tic and got rid of him.  How dare he attach himself to you!!  Make sure you take care of the area where it was - we don't want you getting sick from a tic bite.

SassieCat - seems like this is the time to be weeding.   I wish I could grow flowers as well as I grow weeds!!   ::)  I'm sure your kitty enjoyed the attention you showered on him/her.

Enjoy your brand new day . . . make it a good one.   ;D

Bucky

"It is difficult to say what is impossible, for the dream of yesterday is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow."     Robert H. Goddard

Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #138 on: May 26, 2010, 07:12:49 AM »
Day 22

Good morning . . . it's Wednesday!   ;D  The days are just flying by . . . I can't believe it's Wednesday already!  Today is Day 22 of our 30 day commitment to being outside for at least 10 minutes each day.

This morning is just beautiful.  The sun is shining, there are big white puffy clouds in the sky, and the birds are singing.  This morning my Dad and I spent some time outside - he gave me some pointers on a bush that I had trimmed (he's a landscaper).  It is so nice to have my Dad here visiting.  My Dad has been an outdoor man his entire life.  He's been in the landscaping business for 67 years  (he's almost 83) - in fact, he's only had one employer all these years!!   :o  I just wish he lived closer to me (he lives 500 miles away) so he could teach me about landscaping now that I'm a homeowner.

Dad was telling me about this book he's seen where it shows a picture of a bird and if you hit a button next to the picture it will give the sound the bird makes.  That sounds neat - I'll have to see if I can find one of those.  Dad's boss, Mr. B, was a big bird watcher.  He would travel around to different organizations giving talks, slide shows, etc. about birds.  I wish Mr. B was still living so I could learn from him.

I hope you enjoy your 10 minutes outdoors today.  We're going to be dodging rain, thunder and lightning today - but, for the moment, it's a beautiful sunny day.  I'll take it!!   8)

Bucky

"You can't hit a homerun unless you step up to the plate.  You can't catch fish unless you put your line in the water.  You can't reach your goals if you don't try."       Kathy Seligman

Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

mac

« Reply #139 on: May 26, 2010, 11:36:19 AM »
I said I wasn't gonna count the walk to the paper and mail as part of my 10 minutes but it did take us longer today.  I stopped near the spring to see if I could hear the bird call I heard the other day and could not tell what it was.  No luck. 
But while standing there a tiny fawn began meandering about.  It had been behind some bushes where mom probably laid it but wasn't too obedient!  He began baaing and at first we just stood and wathced, but as he wandered further from his hiding place I began to gently scold him and asked if he was hungry, still not moving.  Darn if he didn't mosey on over to me and smell me!  Then he wobbled down the road toward my husband and did the same.  Hubby walked in to where it came from and stiid there as the little guy made his way back in, baaing loudly the whole time.  Then mama snorted and took off over the edge of the pond.  Never saw if she was coming in to it or had been laying there the whole time.  So we thought this was just too much and little guy would follow us down the road so headed back up.  Darn if he didn't come running after us!  We decided that if he were to follow us we would head toward mommy, down hill.  He didn't.   Hope they got reunited as he wasn't around when we came back up.

Now back to the garden.

meow

« Reply #140 on: May 26, 2010, 12:42:31 PM »
My ten minutes a day have all been watering my plants and flowers. It's over 90 here, single-digit humidity, typical May weather. I have some gorgeous minitaure petunias--flowers are about an inch across--and they are YELLOW, which I've never seen in a petunia. The tomatoes are growing, the turtles are wandering around, the cats are stretched out in the shade, so I am happy as a clam.
I refuse to tiptoe quietly through life, only to arrive safely at death's door.

Sjogrens, Hashimotos, CFS.  Also, fast approaching CRS Syndrome ;)

Joy Cox

« Reply #141 on: May 26, 2010, 08:17:42 PM »
My goodness, where did Day 20 and Day 21 go for me? Yesterday, planted some purple hynacith beans. An old timey bean that is used as a climber and has pretty purple leaves and purple pods. Not for eating, just provides some shade for my little side porch.

Today, Day 22: Oh Bucky, my how time flies... your son finishes his 8th grade year. Proud mama, sure you and hubby are!!!! ;D

We, too, are proud as we went to our, feel sure, last of grandkids kindergarten graduation today. Yes, kindergarten... This little grandson is very fortunate, all four grandparents in attendance along with his mommy and daddy.

Enjoy your visit with your dad as we only get to see our two granddaughters a couple times a year and their mother, our only daughter. 

My, my how time flies!!!!!! One granddaughter finished elementary school and goes on to middle school next year. We will not get to make the trip to be with her as she reaches this milestone in life.

Off to bed....nighty, night.   Joy

SassieCat

« Reply #142 on: May 26, 2010, 08:43:16 PM »
Took dinner outside today to enjoy on  the deck.  It was beautiful and peaceful.  Then my wonderful cat Weasley started to meow and run up to the door to be let in.  How sweet of him, he brought a squeeky toy for his sister Sassie to play with.  Upon seeing I wasn't going to let him in the house with a live chipmunk, he let it go so the other outdoor kitties can chase after it. 

Poor Sassie, being my one and only house cat, didn't get a little buddy to play with.   :-\

harlin

« Reply #143 on: May 26, 2010, 08:51:25 PM »
I am headed to the beach in the morning so I will get more than my 10 minutes a day. I love the beach, I just sit in my chair and read, read, read. So relaxing. It is the only place I really feel at peace.

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #144 on: May 27, 2010, 12:26:45 PM »
Day 23

Good afternoon . . . it's Thursday!   ;D  Today is Day 23 of our 30 day commitment to being outside for at least 10 minutes each day.

:o  I'm late to my posting today . . . been a busy day.    Today is a bright, sunny, breezy Thursday here in Central IL.  Plus, they are out in the field as I type -  disking it up and getting ready to plant it.   ;D  Yay!  I think this year it will be a field of soybeans.

While I was outside, I was watching this big wood bee looking for the spot he had drilled in our porch.   ::)  Excuse me, Mr. Bee . . . I really don't want you drilling holes in the beams on my porch!!  We'll have to take care of that.

Also, today my son was showing Grandpa his archery skills outside.  Living so far away, Grandpa misses out on the day-to-day events of his grandson's life . . . it was nice to see them both outside together.   ;D  I have to just smile to myself . . . . my son doesn't know this yet, but tonight at the graduation ceremony, when he receives the American Legion award - it will be presented to him by his Grandpa (who is a member of the American Legion in Ohio).   ;D  I made some phone calls to see if this would be possible to do, and it was, so I'm so happy that this will happen tonight.   I don't think anything could come up today to erase the smile I have on my face and in my heart today.   ;D

mac - awwwww, that little fawn sounded so cute.  We have a lot of deer on our property and I still love to watch them.  If only us adults could be so trusting and curious as little babies, fawns, kittens, and puppies are.

meow - your flowers sound so pretty.  Yellow is one of my favorite colors (along with red and blue).

Joy Cox -  yep, graduations are a special event.  One chapter ends and another begins.

SassieCat - glad your cat left the chipmunk outside!!   :o

harlin - the beach??  Can I come too?  I haven't been to a beach in over 25 yrs.!

Have a great day everyone . . . I'll see you tomorrow.   ;D

Bucky

"Have patience with all things, but chiefly have patience with yourself.  Do not lose courage in considering your own imperfections, but instantly set about remedying them - every day begin the task anew."          Saint Francis de Sales

Katybarstool

« Reply #145 on: May 27, 2010, 01:01:02 PM »
Bucky

What a proud time for you, having your beloved dad and son sharing the limelight tonight. How wonderful. Please pass my congratulations on to your son for his graduation.

I have to confess to not spending 10 minutes outside for the past couple of days. I'm struggling to continue working, and have barely been able to walk after work, so have been horizontal on the sofa when I've not  there. However, I do have some wonderful news - after seeing my bowel surgeon, and having three surgeries over the past two years, yesterday I was discharged! My bowel has some normal function now and 'is as good as it will get' so I don't need to see him regularly any more. Of course, if I have any problems, his door will be open.

As you can imagine, I'm sooo pleased. I just need to get the bladder sorted next month, and then I will be grinning from ear to ear :) 

God bless
Kathyx

genko_b

« Reply #146 on: May 27, 2010, 03:48:02 PM »
Today is my day to visit the county jail and state prison, and I have a ways to walk through the yard to get through security. That's much of my outdoors time today, but also a visit to the garden to check on things, as usual.

Hopeall are doing well. Great news about Kathyx surgery.

Genko

Joy Cox

« Reply #147 on: May 27, 2010, 05:46:18 PM »
Here we go with Day 23. MY BIGGY FOR THE DAY IS I RETURNED TO ARTHRITIS KEEP MOVING CLASS AFTER AN EXTENDED LEAVE OF ABSENCE! ;)

And, while spending a short period of time outside early this morning, I heard that darn drilling sound on the front of the house. Walked far enough to alert the redheaded woodpecker that I was near. He just poked his head around the eve of the house and looked at me as what 'the devil' is this stuff you folks put on the eve of your home!   :o  All our house area that would normally be painted is covered with aluminum siding.

Since I have heard this drumming in the past, yes- at even daylight- I'm sure on inspection there will be several dents... thanks to the woodpeckers.   

Thought the mocking bird was such a dude until I got in 'Joy-sized' hot tub in my bath this morning before going to exercise class. And, lo-and-behold that d*** mocking bird had pooped many, many times on my sky window over my tub!  :o

As you can tell, I'm 'at outs' with the birds in my life.

BUT, proud I finally made it out of the driveway today to venture to exercise class!!!! Lordy, I could just sit down and do absolutely nothing anymore... my getup and go has got up and gone!   ??? 

Katybarstool

« Reply #148 on: May 28, 2010, 12:09:34 AM »
Joy

You are so funny. That made me smile. Mind you, a cheeky bird pooped on my car window, as I was driving to work this morning. I was not a happy bunny!

Kathyx

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #149 on: May 28, 2010, 07:56:10 AM »
Day 24

Good morning . . . it's FRIDAY!!   ;D  Today is Day 24 of our 30 day commitment to being outside for at least 10 minutes each day.

Wow . . . this week went by really fast!!   :o  Hard to believe it's the last few days of May already.  This morning is a bright, sunshiny day here in Central IL.  It's a little breezy, but not bad at all . . the breeze makes our countries flag that much more noticeable as it blows in the wind off the front porch.  Be proud to show your patriotism for your country by displaying a flag - a lot of men and women have sacrificed a lot to allow us the freedom we have.

This morning I spent my outdoor time split between a few things.  I've already taken my Dad to the airport this morning to catch his flight.   :'(  It's hard to have to say goodbye.  By the way, the graduation ceremony last night was very, very nice.  I was beaming with pride as they introduced my Dad, he walked up on stage and was able to present his grandson with the American Legion award.  We pulled it off and it remained a secret until it actually happened.   ;D

Have you noticed that being outside there are LOTS of bugs this year??  Must be because it's been so wet.  That is one of the prime reasons why I DON'T like being outside . . . all the bugs!  If they are crawling on the ground, it isn't too bad, but when they are swarming around you, it drives me nuts.   When I was on the porch this morning just enjoying the scenery, those pesky bugs were zipping around me so I fixed them . . . I came inside!!   ::)

We only have six more days left of our little adventure . . . keep up the good work.  No slacking off for the weekend!   :D

Kathyx - good news that you can quit visiting the bowel surgeon so regularly.

Joy Cox -  good for you that you went back to your arthritis class, anything you can do to keep moving is a good thing. 

Everyone enjoy your day . . . see you tomorrow.

Bucky

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on."         Franklin D. Roosevelt