Author Topic: NEW 10 minutes/30 Day Commitment starts May 5th  (Read 28468 times)

navydad

Re: NEW 10 minutes/30 Day Commitment starts May 5th
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2010, 10:47:37 AM »
I am out now on the laptop, I was able to get to the Dollar store to pick up some stuff that my sister will need to watch thehouse and dog while my wife and I are at Mayo next week,, I am going off topic,, but I wouldl ike to ask for all your prayers that a answer can be found and this long long journey wont be in vain,, My wife and I have never been ona journey like this, it was alwyas me driving,, but she wil have to drive,, and its quite a distance,, almost 900 miles each way,,plane tickets were just to expensive,
  I pray the horrible neuroathy will stay atleast incheck while we make this trip,, I truthfully feel sohopeless,, hopeless that the damage is beyond any kind of repair, and that my life will consist of progressing to a point I dont want to think about,, I pray they find the answer to my stomach problems,,that they can offer me some kind of help,, thsaks all my friends,, and I will still get out 10 minutes a day,, I usually do,, I cant sit still for long,, sitting remindsme of the pain that comes wheni try to relax

mac

« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2010, 11:46:02 AM »
Oh, thanks so much Bucky!  I began thinking I would so some work on curtains today but put on the shades and went outside after reading your inspiration.  Worked a little in the perennial garden pulling some volunteers and planted some beets in the deck planters.  Just enjoyed being outside, listening to the birds.  I love it so much and have missed it with the eyes hurting so badly.  The drops are helping and I feel almost human again as I can actually 'see' things when I look at them.
My hubby and i usually get out for a half to hour walk for the paper and mail each day but I decided this '10 mins' will have to be special Sjoggie time that I devote to thinking about all those who are sharing in this journey.
Navydad, was thinking of you on the paper walk cause we saw no wildlife.  When you were out for turkey did you see any deer?  Your area is a little warmer than ours and I would expect maybe they have started dropping their fawns there.  See any?  And not fret!  You and your wife will be in our prayers as you travel across the states.   My husband rides shotgun usually (unless we are towing the boat)  so it will be a good experience for her.  Be safe.

meow

« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2010, 01:06:20 PM »
I'm in for the 10/30 for sure.
Navydad, are you the father of a sailor, or a former sailor who's a dad? I was a Navy Mom for 4 years.
I refuse to tiptoe quietly through life, only to arrive safely at death's door.

Sjogrens, Hashimotos, CFS.  Also, fast approaching CRS Syndrome ;)

YYC_ Mommy

« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2010, 01:34:32 PM »
Thanks for this challenge! Today I reflected during my 10 minutes outside about how far I have come. Both what I have lost and what I have gained. The person that I am becoming is not so bad! I think that I am stronger than I gave myself credit for. I have gained this wonderful place and all of you!

I also reflected on the beauty of the world, the small wonderment in my children's faces when they look around at the world around them. I know what is most important to me and thank you for giving me the chance today to remember it all.

genko_b

« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2010, 04:58:33 PM »
It has been a bit cold and rainy the last few days, but I was outside cutting flowers in my garden to arrange in the house. I tour the garden every day rain or shine just to keep on top of what is going on. My sister was a professional gardener and she always says the best fertilizer is the gardener's breath.

Right now there are so many birds in our yard, and several pairs nesting in the various trees on our property. It is quite a chorus when we go outside.

Genko

Joy Cox

« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2010, 06:36:24 PM »
Spent some time potting up some of the 'volunteers' that I plan to use in my little Garden of Joy this growing season. The mockingbird sat atop the weathervane and sang to me to whole time! Bet his song of many tunes was really meant for the lady in his life nesting in the nearby Mahonia shrub! ;)

Thanks Bucky, you are a sweetheart!  :-*

mink

« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2010, 07:20:52 PM »
Navydad, best of luck to you and may you and your wife have a safe trip. We all feel hopeless at one point or another,just know that you are not alone.

And i'm definetly in for 10 min -30 days! ;D

binx

« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2010, 08:39:18 PM »
i am committed.

i spent some time in our garden today with my little one.  i was knitting while she rode her bike around in circles, watered the plants and played in her sandbox.  it was a beautiful day--not a cloud in the sky and a nice breeze made my low-pitched wind chimes "bing" and "bong" which was incredibly soothing.

thank you for the incentive to break my cycle of sofa-surfing or laying in bed most days.
binx

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2010, 06:07:42 AM »
Day 2

Happy Thursday to you all.   ;D  Today is Day 2 of our 30 day commitment to being outside for at least 10 minutes each day.

If you are just now reading this post - it's not too late to join.  It doesn't matter where in the 30 day journey you join us as long as you are willing to jump in and be a part of it.  To date, we have 31 members participating.   ;D

This morning is a little cool outside (48 degrees) - under a light blue, cloudless sky I took my usual stroll to walk with my son to the end of our driveway (we have a l-o-n-g driveway) to wait for the school bus.  Now granted, our son is 14 and doesn't need to be walked to catch the bus.  However . . . he is our only child.  We've had some great conversations over the years while we've been waiting for the bus.  As long as he will allow me to savor the time I have with him, I'm walking with him to the bus!!   ;D

After the bus left, I walked around the yard.  Right now the black walnut trees are a blaze with clusters of fragrant white flowers.  The smell reminds me of orange blossoms.  If I stay outside too long smelling them, it will give me a headache - so I take small doses of them and I'm fine.  I was also watching this worm crawling along the driveway.  How thankful I am that I don't have to crawl everywhere I want to go.

This morning all the different variety of birds where all singing their individual songs.  They sound so happy.   Maybe we could learn from the birds . . . start out our day singing . . . might make the journey a little happier.   ;D

Enjoy this brand new day.   Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday . . . . . enjoy today!   ;D

Bucky

"The grand essentials to happiness in this life are something to do, something to love, and something to hope for."           Joseph Addison
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

bloodless

« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2010, 06:29:28 AM »
I got caught by my kids weedwacking and got in trouble. It's hard to take adult children seriously when they fuss at you. It mostly makes me laugh. The yard looks good though. It felt great to have accomplished something! It was the first day in weeks I was able to walk well enough to attempt it. Here's to getting something constructive done! Cheers!

I'm gonna try to make it the 30 days. I forgot how much I love the sound and feel of the wind.
I miss the good old days. Things were more like they used to be back then.

Sjogrens, Lupus, Fibro, GERD

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2010, 07:10:38 AM »
My 10 minutes this morning was a quiet sit on the deck, since my efforts yesterday led to some pretty uncomfortable legs and hips this morning. Oh well, it was worth it!

I did get some exercise though...it was cooler here too, and the blackflies recovered their energies so I was kept busy swatting!
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2010, 09:28:44 AM »
I haven't been out yet but in the not too distant future I'll be walking to the polling station and back as it's election day in the UK. That will be my outdoor time today.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

roetta

« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2010, 09:57:46 AM »
Yesterday for day 1 my husband and I went to the nursery and bought plants for the planter he just built me in the front yard. (We've been working on our front yard for about a year and a half now. lol)

It's a beautiful planter made out of rocks that he dug up out of the yard. He built a much bigger one in the backyard as well.

I was having a bad day - been working more than usual and it's definitely starting to catch up with me - but being outside and getting some new flowers for the front yard really lifted my spirits.

Thanks for doing this, Bucky!

TerriF

« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2010, 11:07:02 AM »
For day 1 I spent time walking around the garden and on the swing with my daughter, we spent the time talking and laughing, it was beautiful.

For today, I am just now heading out, have to mow so will be for awhile but I really need the fresh air.

Have a good day everyone!

navydad

« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2010, 12:18:25 PM »
I'm in for the 10/30 for sure.
Navydad, are you the father of a sailor, or a former sailor who's a dad? I was a Navy Mom for 4 years.
Well its complicated,,or maybe not,, My son was in the navy for 6 years,, he was a reactor operator on board a Nuclear Fast attack Submarine,, USS CHICAGO 721

My dad was in the navy in WW11,,, and had the dubious distinction of being on the only ship that was blown out of the water by a German radio guided bomb,,
 As for me,, I had signed up for hte Navy,, took my physical and everything,, then the Vietnam was kinda called off when they stopped the draft,, so I decided not to go,, and made teh foolish mistake of working for a contractor for the princly sum of 2 dollars a hour

I have tried to tak my 23 year old into going in the navy,, hehas a college degree and could go in as a officier,, they dont make bad money,, my son was getting 1000 a month for h9ousing in Hawaii,, him and three other guys got a house,, each kicked in 250,, (rent  was 1000) a month,, and they all pocketed 750 each,, well anyway to answer your question,, I was a navy dad,, hes out now,, been out a few years, but the experience was definately something he can look back at with fond memories,, he still sees some of his buddies from teh sub,, and a few he met on carriers that he went to nuke school with,, they have a annual golf outing called the Nuke Open,, every year a different place,, last year Phoenix,, this year Orlando,, and they all go on a cruis once a year with there wives and girlfriends,, no mine isnt married,, and I dont expect him to ever do it,, he loves money to much,,