Author Topic: Sudden sensitivity to smells?  (Read 4279 times)

Blue Kat

Sudden sensitivity to smells?
« on: May 01, 2010, 02:52:52 PM »
I know that for a lot of people for whom dryness is an issue, their sense of smell can be diminished.  I don't have the dryness problems with Sjogren's, but just in the past month or so I've found that I'm very sensitive to smells when I hadn't been before.  Perfumes or scented lotions on people just about kill me suddenly.  Has anyone else had this problem?

YYC_ Mommy

Re: Sudden sensitivity to smells?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 03:01:35 PM »
I have this problem, I can smell things that other people can not seem to smell. I will often say to my husband, "do you smell that" and he will say he does not smell anything. I seemed to have a good sense of smell when I was pregnant, but I have had this now for a few years after my last pregnancy.

The worst is when it is a BAD smell, it can almost make me sick. Nice that I can smell the flowers etc that no one else can seem to smell but I wish that I did not have to also smell the "odors" of the world as well  :D

Blue Kat

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 03:09:05 PM »
I'm glad I'm not the only one!  I have a coworker who loves to rub a perfumed lotion on several times a day and while I hate to say anything, I might have to eventually.  Maybe I should ask if she has dry skin problems and suggest a nice non-scented lotion in it's place?   ;)  And yes, even the bad smells can be stronger...I've noticed that my cat's litter box nearly makes me gag when I clean it out now whereas it didn't bother me quite so much before. 

Bucky

• Sjogrens Staff
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 04:07:31 PM »
Blue Kat,

If you put in the search box:  "I can smell EVERYTHING"  it will take you to a previous thread about this same subject from Oct. 2009.  Yes, the smells seem to be really sensitive in us Sjoggies.  I use to work in a school kitchen - there were days I thought I was going to be sick from the smell of the food cooking.   :o

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Blue Kat

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 06:54:00 PM »
Thanks Bucky.  I've never noticed the search box before for some reason, so it didn't occur to me to use it. 

dmouse

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 06:59:49 PM »
Oh yeah, count me in. Some days are worse then others!

And certain flowery perfumes can trigger an asthma like response as well... had the same problem with a co-worker and scented lotions. I just nicely mentioned that that particular scent triggered asthma and asked if she had a different scent she could try. After that she would check with me about the smell before using it in the office!

Butterfly

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 08:21:48 PM »
I have lost most of my sense of smell. I'm told it's autoimmune related. What I do smell is so irritating-like fingernails on a chalkboard. My family has to be in the kitchen when I first start cooking meat. I can't smell it if it's spoiled. That's good because who wants to smell that. However I could easily make us all sick. I can't smell when somethings burning either. That can be dangerous.  We have lots of smoke/carbon monoxide detectors in the house. It's funny how differently Sjogren's can manifest itself in each person.
Graves, Hashimotos, Vetiligo, Alopecia, Sjogren's Syndrome, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Fibromyalgia, Mixed Connective Tissue Disease, Osteopenia
Plaquenil, Salagen, Vitamin D, Magnesium, Multi Vitamin, Bone Up, Flaxx, Synthroid, Flexeril, Reclast

Julie

• My reflection is not ME any more.
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 09:31:07 PM »
Not only are odors stronger for me, but they make me ill to the point of uncontrollable shakes,  almost seizure-like at times, headaches, burning eyes, and depending on the chemical in the product, it has caused extreme dryness in my lungs and I've ended up in the hospital with lung hemorrhaging.  This is tied in with Sjogrens and MCS (multiple chemical sensitivities).  I have to be very aware  and careful of my surroundings whether it's in the work place, stores, restaurant, hotel rooms, swimming pools, yards sprayed with weed/bug killer, a new car..etc etc etc.  The list of chemicals and products that outgass that make me sick is LONG.

Here is an excellent link that provides a plethora of information on MCS.  Within it, Debra has links to 'safe' products which I have found to be very helpful.

http://www.mcsrecovery.com/

Take care,
Julie   

Sheltiemom

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 04:17:48 PM »
Oh, yes.  I've had it almost from the beginning four months ago.  Wonder if the nasal dryness causes this?

Sheltiemom

Blue Kat

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 04:23:51 PM »
I don't have the nasal dryness -- in fact I usually have the opposite problem -- so I don't think that's it, at least not with me.   :-\

namakb

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2010, 04:31:45 PM »
I have dry nasal passages on occasion, especially in the evening. My sense of smell has not seemed to change but certain smells such as cleaning products, perfumes, and baby powder really irritate them. They could be fine and when my husband comes out of the bathroom after his shower ( he puts on some baby powder) wow does it bother my nose. I few weeks ago he put some cologne on and we were going to my daughter's about an hour away, wow, I had to open the car window. My nose is really sensitive to some of those odors. I never had that problem before.

mac

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2010, 04:57:36 PM »
Julie, thanks for the info.  My husband loves to cook dinner (bless his little heart  :) ) but sometimes when he begins he starts with something that litterally takes my breath away. 
Have tried to pin it down and think it may be the olive oil heating in the pan of whatever he is going to cook.  it isn't a bad smell, just a sensation which seems to attack my throat/lungs making me feel as tho i can't breath easily  ???.  He insists he is doing nothing different from before. This seemed to begin last summer, before I was dx'd.

Can't say that I can pick up any other odors easier, certainly not flowers, but seem to be keen on unpleasant ones.

stephL

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2010, 09:18:42 PM »
Good topic indeed. Certain products that contain perfumes drive me crazy. I avoid the cleaning products aisle at the supermarket. Some laundry products contain perfumes that are obnoxious to me, yet everyone else I know loves them! Once I left the library because someone's perfume was nearly gagging me. lol  While I know my sense of smell is too sensitive, there are always ppl who use too much cologne.  ::)

I have a musk scented perfume I use. It's mild and doesn't bother me. Other than that, there are many scents I can tolerate but i'd prefer to use unscented products which are hard to find.
"Unlike weakness, fatigue can be alleviated by periods of rest." -Wikipedia: Fatigue (medical)