Author Topic: Esophageal spasms  (Read 4406 times)

anita

Esophageal spasms
« on: April 16, 2010, 04:19:58 PM »
Ok everyone...input please.

The chest pain issue is possibly esophageal spasms.  The GI at Hopkins says esophageal damage (resulting in or including spasms) is another gift of Sjogren's.  Anyone else with this?  The chest pain is pressure, with a squeezing at the front base of the throat.  There is also pain in the jaw and sharp pain in the back (just opposite of the chest).  Very much like a heart attack, but arteries showed only 40% blockage here & there, so they hoping it's just the spasms.  However the stress test showed heart wall and reduced blood flow, so still looking there as well.

I have a manometry test for check for spasms on tuesday.  Anyone had one of these?  They said it is only uncomfortable to insert the probe via nose into esophagus.  Is this true...no big deal??

I have severe gastroparesis (empty test was a whopping 4%) and GERD, so no surprise if there is damage to esophagus and spasms.  They gave me nitroglycerin spray and said long acting nitrate will be used based upon results. 

Any comments or experience with this would be helpful.  Thanks

Anita
49 yr old SjS, APS w/strokes, Severe Autonomic Neuropathy, PN, Nephrogenic DI, IgG def., Asthma, Gastroparesis.  Sero-negative w/+ lip biopsy.  Meds: IVIG, Arixtra, Aspirin, Plaquenil, Nitroglycerin, Cardizem, Imdur, Toprol XL, Domperidone, Nexium, Midodrine, Florinef, Symbicort, Percocet,

Redetha1

Re: Esophageal spasms
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 06:24:48 PM »
I have no idea if we are experiencing the same thing.  I have been told that I have spasms.  It feels like severe pain in my chest.  For me, when this happens, I start drinking water or liquid like crazy and it eases the pain and then it goes away.  I was also told by my ENT that food tends to stick  if there is not enough liquid in the esophagus.  I just know that when this occurs and I drink liquid, it helps me and the pain goes away----until the next time, of course.  Good luck. Hugs, Redetha

Daisy1234

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 06:28:37 PM »
Anita, without any modesty, I would say that I'm the queen of esophageal spasming because of severe primary SJS.  The 1st time I experienced a SEVERE esophageal spasm it put me face down on the floor.  I actually thought I was having a heart attack.  Initially though, my symptoms started with small spasms which eventually grew in severity to where they are now.  In my case I see a Gastroentenologist for regular treatment of this issue.  My spasms cause so much pain that my normal blood pressure immediately jumps to 165/110 and I am completely incapacitated and I start projectile vomiting.  Gros!
Here's the treatment that I receive currently:  Twice a year I get an endoscopy done so that my Gastroentenologist can inject both my esophagus and stomach with botox. As for my ongoing medication to treat the esophageal spasms, I am taking (this is only the meds for esophageal spasms not a list of all of my meds):
Adalat
Domperidone
Amitryptline
Nexium
Nitrolingual Pump Spray - used to stop a severe esophageal spasm while it is in progress
Ralivia (24hr Tramadol) or Tylenol 3's

anita

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 07:56:28 PM »
Daisy,

Wow!   We sound alike.  I too have severe primary SJS with just about every neuro complication possible.   I have had chest pain off/on for a while (maybe a year or so), but mid Jan was when the severe pain started...with all the side shows (jaw pain, squeezing throat, etc).  I have severe autonomic neuropathy to include gastroparesis and very low BP, so adalat is a no go for me.  The nitro is risky enough and my cardiologist thinks I'll pass out at some point.  I guess it will be a bit or hit/miss finding a way treat this.  I have these pains anywhere from 1-2 times a day up to a dozen or more.  I have had some days without any problems but they are few and far between any more.

Do you think the botox helps?  Can you tell a difference shortly after they do it? 

I too take nexium and domperidone (have for years for the severe GERD and gastroparesis).  I don't have much for pain relief.  Any narcotic will stop the already very slow moving GI system.   

Did you have the manometry test?  How was it?
49 yr old SjS, APS w/strokes, Severe Autonomic Neuropathy, PN, Nephrogenic DI, IgG def., Asthma, Gastroparesis.  Sero-negative w/+ lip biopsy.  Meds: IVIG, Arixtra, Aspirin, Plaquenil, Nitroglycerin, Cardizem, Imdur, Toprol XL, Domperidone, Nexium, Midodrine, Florinef, Symbicort, Percocet,

Daisy1234

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 01:11:14 PM »
Anita, for me the Botox injections have been an absolute Godsend.  I get them about every 6 months, but as I said, I not only get my Esophagus injected but also my Stomach.  Right now my Gastro is injecting 300cc of Botox into me during each endoscopy.  I still get minor spasms but they are usually much more tolerable.
I did not get a manometry test done.  I actually have had at least 3 full out severe esophageal spasms in mid stride in my Gastro's office while I was there for different appointments.  There is no doubt in his mind what is going on and so he didn't see the need for this.  I too have gastroparesis and erosion of my esophagus, along with severe IBS (probably caused by too much dryness) and severe swallowing difficulties (dysphasia). 
For myself I don't find that the Adalat helps very much with these issues but the botox is wonderful.  Also the nitrolingual pump spray will stop a severe spasm in mid-stream but it leaves you with a terrible migraine and it also lowers your blood pressure so you have to take it lying down or risk passing out.  With your low BP it may be even riskier.  Just in case you aren't aware, a side effect of Domperidone is that it can give you breast pain.  Right now I am taking 2 10mg tablets - 4 times a day.  I was doing 6 times a day but the breast pain was really awful so I was reduced to 4 times a day.  Sorry you're experiencing this, its really not much fun at all.