Author Topic: Does Plaq suppress the immune system or modify it?  (Read 2013 times)

Dry1000

Does Plaq suppress the immune system or modify it?
« on: March 31, 2011, 08:27:05 AM »
Hey Everyone

I was under the impression that plaquinel modifies (not suppresses) the immune system, however I was talking with my neighbor who has lupus and she tells me it does suppress the immune system. My research from the Internet is conflicting, some sites state plaquinel modifies and does not suppress others state it does suppress. If anyone can clarify this for me it would be greatly appreciated.

sage

Re: Does Plaq suppress the immune system or modify it?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 11:04:47 AM »
Dry1000: I suppose any doctor can give you a technical answer.  I have personally never taken plaquenil and am not a medical person but have done a lot of searching over the years, and there is a lot written about plaquenil.

A Dr D J Wallace et al wrote a paper  in 1993 about plaquenil and has written many since some of which relate to sjogren's.

"The relevance of antimalarial therapy with regard to thrombosis, hypercholesterolemia and cytokines in SLE"

first sentence of abstract:
Hydroxychloroquine has several less well-known actions that may have clinical relevance in treating systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE). (1) Hydroxychloroquine has a possible antithrombotic action....

You can find the complete abstract easily if you go to scholar.google.com and plug in  the first few words of the title and Dr D J Wallace.

out of space

Dry1000

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 12:52:58 PM »
Hey everyone

I called my rheumy and asked him if plaquinel suppresses or modifies,and he told me that he is not aware of any clinical evidence to really support either claim. He did tell me that he has had patients on plaquinel for over 20 years and they did not show any signs of a weak or suppressed immune system.And he has yet to see any patients show signs of a weakened immune system who are strictly on plaquinel.

Kerrikins

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 01:57:38 PM »
Neither, I think. It's supposed to be a disease modifier, not immune system modifier. Honestly I have no idea what that means though, at all! :)

Nathan

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 02:49:00 PM »
It wasn't known until recently how Plaquenil works, but for those of you, here it is:
Plaquenil works by decreasing Toll-Like Receptor signaling (especially TLR 9). TLR 9 is responsible for recognizing DNA-containing immune complexes, after which it produces interferon, causing dendritic cells to mature and present antigens (like SS-A/SS-B) to T-Cells. So by interfering with this process, Plaquenil reduces inflammation before it even starts. So yes, technically Plaquenil does supress the immune system, but it is so minor that it is often not even noticed. It only applies to the innate immune response.
There are actually drugs in trial to trigger the activation of TLR9 to boost immune response (to fight cancer, etc). The complete opposite of what we want, but I digress.