Author Topic: info on smart plugs  (Read 4172 times)

jessica1104

info on smart plugs
« on: April 14, 2010, 10:17:01 PM »
Can smart plugs go in the upper tear ducts?  I can't find information on this.  I have them in the lowers and LOVE them and am going to get plugs in my uppers on Friday and wanted to see what others have done.  I had to fight my eye doctor to allow me to use smart plugs because he told me they are really pricey for him!  I paid $500 so those 2 itty bitty plugs should be paid for. :)  I just don't want him telling me it can't be done when it can, sounds like the permanent ones can be a pain with falling out.

eyeamdry

Re: info on smart plugs
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 10:52:48 PM »
Jessica, I am a 10 year veteran of punctal plugs. I've been double plugged, quadra-plugged, unplugged, replugged etc.  Currently, I have two puncta which are scarred shut, one plug and one cauterization.

Years ago, my doctor was trying to get Smart Plugs because I was 9stil am) having lots of trouble.  It happened that he ordered them for me and I really can't remember the circumstances, but the plugs would not fit, would not stay in--but there was a reason I didn't get them.  I don't think docs like to work with these plugs.  I could be wrong.  Any plugs can fall out.  It probably is a big pain for him to order these especially for you.  If he drops one and it can't be used, he is out the cost of the plug.  Wait to see what others say, but remember you would then be all 4 plugged and the top two might need to come out if you experience epiphora (too many tears-although they may not be good tears.)  It might end up that he might have to take the plugs out and you'd still have to pay for them.  Did your insurance pay for any part of the SmartPlugs?  You might take a slower approach to this.  If you LOVE your bottoms being plugged, what makes you think plugging the top things will make things BETTER?

There is a controversy out that with all 4 plugged, your eyes become sort of a cesspool as they have no way to drain and the small amount of tears become stagnant in some cases.  I am not a medical person, this is just my experience.  Lucy

jessica1104

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 07:12:33 AM »
Thanks for the info eyemdry.  My smart plugs in the lower tear ducts I can't feel and I do see the tears pool initially so I know they are there.  My eyes cause me the most trouble with the Sjogren's.  I am in a flare where I am using drops every 5 minutes, my eyes are bloodshot and sensitive to light and so I thought maybe I needed them all plugged, I am worried about the controversy...I am just barely 26 and having to give up a lot of life now and I am so uncomfortable.

ohiolady

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 07:38:01 AM »
Hi, I have very dry eyes as well.  I would not recommend the Smart Plugs for the upper ducts as they can be very difficult to remove.  As was mentioned, you can overtearing which feels like inflammatio on your eyes and that does not feel too great either.  This is what I do.  I have permanent in the lower lids and in my upper left duct, my worst eye, I have a 3 month collagen plug.  Yes, it is replaced every 3 months and my insurance has gone for it.  But, if they didn't I would pay out of my pocket because of the severity of my dry eyes.  It provides more moisture but does not over tear and feel inflammatory.

Your eye doctor may say, that is unusual but I told mine this is what works for me and he is fine with it.  It was actually my idea and now he has another patient doing the same thing.

Hope this helps.

Anna
SJS  Hashimoto's   Mild Raynauds  GERD  Gastroparesis
Restasis, Evoxac, Dexilant,  Domperidone, Zofran and Synthroid. Fish Oil, Vit D and B12  R lipoic acid,  Acetyl L Cartnine, Vitamin B1, and The Perfect Food Green and Fruit supplement

Kidney Cancer Survivor   
Female   Age: 62

jessica1104

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 01:49:43 PM »
Anna,

How is a 3 month collagen place in and why does it work better than the permanent?

Thanks!!

ohiolady

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 05:02:04 PM »
I don't think it completely blocks as the permanent does.  The collagen plug is intracanicular just like the smart plug but only last 3 months.   It dissolves over time. Smart plugs would more completely block and therefore overtearing and inflammation on the eye.

This works for me and has greatly improved my eyes.

Anna
SJS  Hashimoto's   Mild Raynauds  GERD  Gastroparesis
Restasis, Evoxac, Dexilant,  Domperidone, Zofran and Synthroid. Fish Oil, Vit D and B12  R lipoic acid,  Acetyl L Cartnine, Vitamin B1, and The Perfect Food Green and Fruit supplement

Kidney Cancer Survivor   
Female   Age: 62

jessica1104

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 05:12:14 PM »
Sounds wonderful, thanks maam!

Fellicity

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 02:41:09 PM »
FYI to all, I had Smart Plugs put in 5 years ago and just found out today that I will need surgery to remove one that has become lodged and created an infection in my left lower tear duct.  I loved mine when they put them in (dry eye due to Graves' disease) but this is very painful.  Just beware.  My eye surgeon says he's removed them from 7 patients in the last two years, same problem.

Can smart plugs go in the upper tear ducts?  I can't find information on this.  I have them in the lowers and LOVE them and am going to get plugs in my uppers on Friday and wanted to see what others have done.  I had to fight my eye doctor to allow me to use smart plugs because he told me they are really pricey for him!  I paid $500 so those 2 itty bitty plugs should be paid for. :)  I just don't want him telling me it can't be done when it can, sounds like the permanent ones can be a pain with falling out.

hootyhu1

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 05:44:56 PM »
I am a optht tech. smart plugs are kinda hard to put in upper ducts, I prefer the Oasis plugs, they are inner canular and can only be flushed out by the MD if you have problems with them, I have them in my lower ducts myself and love them. Your insurance pays for them but docs only buy certain brands of plugs because that is what they prefer for price or whatever else......hope this helps.