Author Topic: Lip Biopsy Healing Process  (Read 7266 times)

Vasha

Lip Biopsy Healing Process
« on: April 07, 2010, 05:29:39 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I just got home from having my lip biopsy, and I wondered how long the healing process was for you?  The doctor said the pain shouldn't be very bad, and they give no pain medication for afterwards, but I know myself better than they do.  I have a difficult time with pain now.  I am taking some of the pain medication that I have on hand.

Please let me know what your experience with healing after this procedure has been.  I am already in pain with my teeth and jaw aching more than my lip now, since the numbing medication probably hasn't completely worn off, and this is after taking oxycodone.

Dr. Birnbaum called me on Monday and said he believes my diagnosis is primary SJS based on the test results so far, and he expects the lip biopsy will confirm the diagnosis.  He also says I have the antibodies for celiac, anti-smooth muscle, and autoimmune hepatitis.  I already was being treated for Hasimoto's and Fibromyalgia, so these things just add to my list.

Please share . . . Vasha (and tell me how to create a permanent signature with diagnosis list for posting!!)

Sheltiemom

Re: Lip Biopsy Healing Process
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 07:02:01 PM »
Hi, Vasha -

So sorry to read that you now having another illness (SjS) to add to your list.  As to the lip biopsy healing process, yesterday was the second week out since the procedure and it's no more than a distant memory.  Discomfort afterwards was not bad, had no pain meds either given or on hand but don't think I needed any.  By day eight, the four stitches were out, no pain whatsoever and I was eating like a horse - actually catching up because for seven days had eaten only basically non-chewable foods like soup, yogurt, pudding, applesauce, mashed banana, mashed peach chunks, baby food veggies and chicken.

Hope you heal quickly and well,

Sheltiemom

Patze

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 07:20:42 PM »
Hi Vasha,

Most folks have very little problem with healing, and such.  Please remember that everyone is so different, so what happened after mine probably won't happen to you (I had silk stitches, so not a good thing for me).

Take it easy, use ice if you need it, and hang in there, it will get better (I was told to take OTC Tylenol for the pain, and that was that).

Take care of yourself -

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

Vasha

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 01:58:28 AM »
Thanks for the replies everyone.  I was doing fine the first night, and I worked the next day.  Of course, me being me, my pain issues just won't follow the rules, and by evening two, the whole right side of my jaw, lip, head, and neck muscles are in so much pain I just can't stand it.  There is no sign of infection,  but the swelling is very tight and tender.  I actually have the most pain in my teeth and jaw from where they stretched my lips and cheek to pull them away from my teeth and jaw during the procedure.  I think they stretched the nerves which is not good for me . . .

Even the Oxycodone I have on hand isn't touching this pain, and last nightit made me really nauseas as well.  HAs anyone had a simmilar experience?  How lomg did it take to heal?  If it is still not better tomorrow and I can't work, I will have to call the surgeon.

Thanks as always, Vasha

harrigan

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 02:36:22 AM »
I've not had a lip biopsy but had an infection in my jaw once following an extraction and the pain was as you describe it.  You have my sympathy Vasha - it is truly awful.  I got Tramadol from the DR in the end and was climbing the walls in the last hour before the next dose.  I also needed double antibiotics - one was metronidazole and it made me feel sick but within 2 days I was sane again, and better after 5 days.  Hope you can see the surgeon and get sorted with the right stuff to get rid of this for you - what a shame after feeling ok the first night too.  Thinking of you XX Ailsa
Female, 54
Diagnosed with Sjogrens March 09; Rheumatoid Arthritis February 2010
Meds: abatacept, Methotrexate injections , Folic Acid, Amitriptyline, Ozepramole, Tramacet, Glandosane & Viscotears.

sleeeepy

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 04:27:27 AM »
Hi Vasha, I had the lip biopsy done this past October and what worked for me was ICE and lots of it!!  The ice packs numbed the area enough to relieve swelling and cut the pain level.  I used ice for at least 4 days.  Not fun I know, but it helped.  Take care...... Mary

Patze

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 06:17:47 AM »
I'm sorry that you're having a lot of problems with it, and Sleeeeepy is right, ice, ice, and more ice if you can; that's the only thing that kept me sane.  I used ice a lot for about a week before the swelling started going down, and like I mentioned before, I had silk stitches so everything kept getting caught in them (they were in for three weeks).

Yep, had the jaw and sinus pain from this (the whole face seemed to hurt), and it started to get better when the swelling went down.  The first day or two is usually the worst, and hopefully the pain and swelling will ease up for you soon.

Hang in there, I know it's hard....

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

Beta

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 07:16:19 AM »
I done my lip biopsy 6 months ago and my lower lip is still numb. It was painful, swolen and I remember eating lots of ice cream. Few stitches came out by them selves, I wasn't panicked because it looked OK when I checked in the mirror .

The worst were taking out other stitches left. I would not do it again.

Shashi11962

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 09:37:23 PM »
I done my lip biopsy 6 months ago and my lower lip is still numb. It was painful, swolen and I remember eating lots of ice cream. Few stitches came out by them selves, I wasn't panicked because it looked OK when I checked in the mirror .

The worst were taking out other stitches left. I would not do it again.

Beta, I had a lipoma (fatty tumor) removed from my lip 30 years ago, and my lip is still numb! I haven't had my lip biopsy yet (May 25), but from reading here, it doesn't sound like too much fun. I'm planning to go to work for 4.5 hours the evening after my biopsy.  (I'm a college instructor.) Is this unrealistic?

Beta

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 02:24:05 AM »
Hi Shashi ,

In my opinion, it may be unrealistic. In my case anaesthetic stopped working after few hours and I was in lots of pain, I could not talk much and eat properly for 8 days minimum.

That is only my experience. Everyone is different, methods of lip biopsy may also be different, good luck to you!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 02:26:28 AM by Beta »

Suzie

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 09:42:15 AM »
I'm having my lip biopsy next week. The doc told me it's nothing, just a little pin prick.
I'm guessing he hasn't had it done himself... :o

Suzie

bloodless

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2010, 11:00:06 AM »
Suzie,
Don't get to anxious. My lip biopsy was a breeze. I didn't have any real pain and healed real fast. The only negative thing I can say about my lip biopsy is it left a small numb spot. It's slowly fading away. It's been a two years and I just have a tiny numb spot now.
I miss the good old days. Things were more like they used to be back then.

Sjogrens, Lupus, Fibro, GERD

Vasha

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2010, 08:28:06 PM »
Update****

It has been 9 days now, and the world is a much better place.  All of the stitches are out.  The truly terrible pain only lasted for the first 5 days, and then it was managable.  Now, I feel normal, except for a small lump of swelling that still needs to go down.  My doctor thought the test would be the determining factor in a SJS diagnosis for me, and the preliminary report does not have that result, but he likes to review all of the test results himself before making a determination.  I am glad I had the test, but it was not pleasant.

Vasha

beautifulkrissy026

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2010, 12:36:42 PM »
Vasha,
I hope you get the answers you need from your test. It's not pleasant going through something like that and then still not getting any answers.  Good Luck!
Kristine