Author Topic: Question on Plaquenil Dosage ?????  (Read 5863 times)

yankeeinthesouth

Question on Plaquenil Dosage ?????
« on: April 03, 2010, 08:09:52 AM »
Can anyone tell me what dosage strength of Plaquenil they are on.  My Dr put me on 200 mg a day, but I have heard that low of a dose will not help much. This is all so confusing because it seems that every Dr has a different opinion.....

Thanks for everyones help.

harrigan

Re: Question on Plaquenil Dosage ?????
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 08:16:50 AM »
It is worked out for your body weight, so perhaps that is why it is a lower dose?  Or maybe the DR wants to see how you tolerate a lower dose 1st?
Female, 54
Diagnosed with Sjogrens March 09; Rheumatoid Arthritis February 2010
Meds: abatacept, Methotrexate injections , Folic Acid, Amitriptyline, Ozepramole, Tramacet, Glandosane & Viscotears.

DragonflyC

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 08:52:51 AM »
Hmm. . .I only weigh about 115 lbs., and I'm on 400 mg a day (200 mg taken twice a day).

lynnmarie219

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 10:55:03 AM »
I also take 200 mg two times a day but I'm a far cry from being underweight!  ;)

I agree that maybe the doc wanted to see how you tolerate the med first and then slowly move you up to a higher dosage if needed.

Have you asked him/her about why that dosage was prescribed for you? It might be the place to start...there could be a very good reason for it that has to do with you and your other medications or medical history.  Just a thought.....

anita

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 10:59:12 AM »
400 mg for me too.

It can cause stomach upset in some people, so I guess he wants to see how you tolerate it.  I would ask him what his plan is...how long at 200 mg, then when (if) he plans to raise it.

52 yr old SjS, APS w/strokes, Autonomic Neuropathy, PN, Nephrogenic DI, (CVID) IgG def., Cushing's, Asthma, Gastroparesis.  Sero-neg w/+ lip biopsy.  Meds: IVIG & pre-meds, Arixtra, Aspirin, Plaquenil, Cardizem, Toprol XL, Domperidone, Nexium, Midodrine, Symbicort, Fentanyl, Percocet, Zofran

BonusMom

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 11:22:04 AM »
600 mg daily for me.

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 01:22:43 PM »
Hi - I was started on 200mg per day but didn't feel it had 'done' anything so 4 months later my rheumy increased the dose to 400mg daily. A couple of months after that I thought I could feel a difference.

Take care - scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

Nancy60

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 01:33:48 PM »
I was started on 200mg/day for 2-3 weeks to see how I tolerated it, then increased to 400 mg/day (split between AM and PM).  we tried to reduce to 200 mg awhile back but I flared with that so I am staying at the 400 mg dose now.

Nancy

jstroble

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 02:26:55 PM »
I was on 400 mgs. too.  When the side effects got bad, it was reduced to 200 mgs.  Didn't seem to make much of a difference.

Joyce

lindaneall

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 02:44:04 PM »

In '08 I was on 400mg. of brand name Plaquenil for 8 months. I am 5'10" and 120 lbs. Things started out fine, but after about 5 months I developed sharp GI pains that would leave me doubled over. In fact, we wondered if I had also had developed Celiac and had an upper endoscopy done. Negative.  At 8 months I also developed tinnitus. Unfortunately, the Plaq. didn't seem to help my severe fatigue issues at all.  My rheumy had me stop. Thankfully my bad side effects immediately went away  (except some mild lingering tinnitus).

My IGG levels (along with other Sjs markers) continue to be very high, along with low WBC.  Ten days ago my rheumy wanted me to go back on it and see if I can even tolerate 200mg. a day.  He said, "Even though it didn't help the fatigue issues before, Plaquenil can help to stop the progression of Sjs. Even a little is better than nothing."  Unfortunately, this time I am starting out with symptoms.  A very unsettled stomach, and it is hard to eat much.  I do take it with food.  So, if my symptoms don't improve soon, I think I'm going to stop. I'll try to hang out a little longer. Somehow I think my body just is extremely sensitive to this med.

Linda

Lesleybird

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010, 12:17:22 AM »
   The dose should be 300mg. to 400mg. a day for an average size person. Most doctors use 400mg. I think. Ask your pharmacist and he or she wound know what dose is most commonly ordered by doctors. Some people with decreased kidney or liver function may need a lower dose.    Lesley

gurs

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2010, 04:33:48 AM »
My rheumy said that 400mg day was the absolute max....for anyone??

You may not feel much better on plaquenil, but it will halt the progression.
52 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements

Patze

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2010, 04:50:53 AM »
I'm on 400 a day as well...

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

yankeeinthesouth

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2010, 08:41:44 AM »
Thanks everyone. I appreciate your input.

I asked my rheummy if he would be going up on the dose and he said no. I asked why and he said just because he didn't want to increase the dose......no explanation.

I have heard that every dr is different and they have their own way of treating patients. So I just hope that my rheummy really knows his stuff.

I have an appt in May with another rheummy and I would like to know what she says.

eyeamdry

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2010, 11:29:19 AM »
Me too, 400 mg day.