Author Topic: Question on Plaquenil Dosage ?????  (Read 5813 times)

roetta

Re: Question on Plaquenil Dosage ?????
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2010, 12:40:41 PM »
I'm on 400 a day also. I'm 5'1" and 100lbs. It's a high dosage for my weight but my rheummy was reluctant to lower the dosage because my SED rates have been high the last two visits.

yankeeinthesouth

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2010, 03:40:58 PM »
How many people notice a difference or feel better on the higher dose?

Prairie Gal

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2010, 03:47:58 PM »
I'm usually on 400 mg/day (200 in a.m. and 200 in p.m.).   On two occasions my rheumy has told me to cut one of the tablets in half, for a total of 300 mg/day.   After 3-4 weeks I feel worse, so I e-mail him and ask if I can go back to the 400 mg/day.  I do feel better  on 400 mg -- I wish I could say I feel "terrific!"  I'm 5'8" and weigh 142 lbs.

Prairie gal

meow

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2010, 10:03:22 AM »
Unfortunately, this time I am starting out with symptoms.  A very unsettled stomach, and it is hard to eat much.  I do take it with food.

Linda, I have read that taking plaquenil at the sameyou take vitamins (even with food) makes the GI effects worse. Some people take their vitamins at lunch to avoid this. Maybe that would help?
I have been taking it  for 3 weeks and I'm not liking it at all. Ringing in the ears almost immediately, itchy little bumps all over my back,  and headaches. I know that the side effects are usually faster to appear than the benefits, but I don't know if I can hold out for 3 months to see if it helps. So this week I cut it to 200 mg once a day, to see if the side effects go away, and they have improved. I haven't called the rheumy yet, even though the rx info said to if you get the ringing in the ears. I guess I should call her!

I refuse to tiptoe quietly through life, only to arrive safely at death's door.

Sjogrens, Hashimotos, CFS.  Also, fast approaching CRS Syndrome ;)

yankeeinthesouth

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2010, 04:57:18 PM »
Thanks everyone for the replys.

I am still new to this so I really appreciate everyones input. I am just wondering why my rheummy said only 200 mg per day, when it seems that most people benefit from the higher dose.

It gives me one more question for the dr when I go back to him at the end of the month.

Thanks.