Author Topic: Dry nose/sinus, what does it feel like? What helps?  (Read 9008 times)

Hkay66

Dry nose/sinus, what does it feel like? What helps?
« on: April 02, 2010, 10:34:40 PM »
This may sound a little weird, but for the past 6 weeks or so I have one
nostril that feels dried out.  It also sometimes feels like something is in my nose...
my thought is it feels like what it must feel like if a toddler put a bean in their
nose!  I had my gp check it twice, she just said it looks red and inflammed
and gave me a nosonex kind of spray (veramist or something like that)
and it did nothing.  Then she suggested putting vasoline in my nose with a q-tip.
I have done that and nothing helps.  I am thinking it must be the evil sjogrens
doing this to me!  It is also weird that it is just one side.  One nostril is perfectly
fine and the other drives me nuts (along with all my other crazy stuff - lol!)
Any input is so appreciated!!
Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 10:38:50 PM by Hkay66 »

eyeamdry

Re: Dry nose/sinus, what does it feel like? What helps?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 11:07:15 PM »
I was going to suggest a Saline Spray.  Also a neti pot is something many people find helpful.  It's a little teapot shaped thing that you put warm water in with a tiny pinch of salt and then hold your head over the sink and pour the water slowly into one nostril and it will likely come out the other.  Ehen do the opposite.  Neti pots can be found at Walgreens and almost any drug store.  I paid abouty $15 for one, but I've seen them much cheaper since.

Some people can probably make their own with an old nasonex bottle or something.  Check on GOOGLE if you're still puzzled.  Lucy

Cheryl

• Sjogrens Staff
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 02:14:06 PM »
Hkay,
  I deal with the dryness, too.   Using the neti pot will assure you that nothing is lodged in your nostril, and it makes your breathing clearer.  I agree with the others that a saline spray and vaseline on a q-tip may give relief.   Is the nasal spray from your doctor a steroid spray, like Flonase?  They take awhile to help, so don't give up on it.   
  You probably know to avoid antihistamines.  I have also learned that my asthma inhaler (Symbicort) dries me terribly. 
  Hope you get some relief.   Hang in there!
Cheryl

TJMAC

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 02:59:55 PM »
Hi.I too have the super dry irritated nose thing happening sometimes.I use a triple antibiotic ointment on it instead of vaseline and it works wonders.That tip was given to me on this board a few years ago.Hope you get some relief.Teresa

Patze

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 07:32:17 PM »
Hi HKay,

Yeah, I've had constantly swollen sinuses, and many infections since all of this mess started five years ago.  I've been on nasal steroids, and they didn't help anything much (lucky me).  I too use Ocean Spray, and I find that it helps cut the bleeding down a bit, but I still have the "something's in the nose" feeling (can't seem to shake that one). 

And what is it with the one sidedness?  The left side of my nostril always seems to be "stuffed up", and the right side is close to normal, ack!

Good luck with this, and I hope that the nasal sprays help you!

Take care of yourself -

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

Billydude

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 09:27:59 PM »
I get that too!  But,  the vasaline on a q-tip thing works for me.

season

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 11:27:35 PM »
I mix a little mineral oil with a bit of vaseline to put in my nose. It is very soothing. You can also find saline gels such as Ayr at the drugstore. If my nose is very irratated, I use the triple antibiotic in my nose. There are a variety of saline washes at the drugstore that is very helpful. I use the NeilMed Sinus Rinse and Ayr Sinus Rinse.