Author Topic: The 8-month Garage Sale "adventure" begins this Saturday!!  (Read 12991 times)

Bucky

• Global Moderator
Re: The 8-month Garage Sale "adventure" begins this Saturday!!
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2010, 02:18:58 PM »
Jennifer . . . glad we've found another member who also enjoys finding bargains.   ;D

I haven't been to too many sales this summer - it's been waaaay too hot . . . plus, I'm trying to downsize - and hitting the sales gets me in trouble.  LOL  There was a big subdivision sale this past Saturday I would have loved to have gone to . . . but, had other errands that HAD to be done, so I couldn't make it.    :'(

It's cooler out today . . . maybe, some of the scorching summer weather is wearing off and I can just "browse" at some sales here and there in the next few weeks.   :D

Happy hunting . . . .
Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

puccini914

« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2010, 05:27:18 AM »
I'm on a search for linens.  I got a new sewing machine for my 10th Anniversary from DH and I love it!!! I can't wait to recover old pillows and make new curtains, you know. asy stuff that changes that changes the way a whole room looks.  A nice looking King size sham can make two throw pillows. Got a new shower curtain for my bathroom, it's gorgeous!!!.  I the little things.  Happy Hunting!!!

puccini914

« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2010, 02:52:45 PM »
I found the most gorgeous Amber Glass wine decanter today!  I paid $15 for it, but it is sooo pretty.  I also got a really pretty 1940's silver plated, I think, can't find any Hallmarks, Jewelry box, fabulous design, paid $10 for it.  Cool bags of little toys for the kids a dollar a piece= priceless!

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2010, 11:09:11 AM »
Today there are two big sales . . . one a town-wide sale, and another a subdivision sale.  I didn't go to either!   :'(

Both events required moving the car for each house as it was spread out.  You couldn't just park and walk to them and move the car every now and then.  That constant in and out, in and out, in and out tires me out.  So, I opted not to go at all.  Sniff, sniff, sniff

Garage sale season will be coming to an end in October - so there aren't too many more weeks left.

I need to have a sale of my own.  I dread having to haul all the stuff up from the basement.  It's all marked, so all I have to do is set it out - but, cleaning out the garage, hanging plastic, setting up tables.  Ugh . . .

Anybody been to any good sales lately?

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2010, 03:49:02 PM »
Today, while I was on my way to the grocery store, I saw those two words that will stop me cold in my tracks . . . . Garage Sale!!   ;D  (Hubby has always said he's going to get me a sign for the car - "Caution - makes sudden stops for Garage Sales".)  hehe

For $1 total I got (these are all brand new):  an ornament holder - it's this long wavy silver  T-bar that will hold 8 ornaments on it, and three packages of things you can use for scrapbooking - some round adhesive tags, some round colored letters and a baby gift tag. 

There was a ton of stuff on this one table - but, I didn't see a price for anything.  Instead of following my "rule" - (IF you are even remotely thinking of buying something, pick it up and carry it with you) - I just went to the gal to check out and asked how much they were.  It ends up they were 25c each!   :o  I took the stuff to the car and then I got to thinking . . . hmmm, that's a really good price, I should go back and get more. 

So, I turn around and walk back in and there's this lady at "the table" just grabbing everything she can - scissors, hole punches, stickers, card stock - all brand new for 25c each.  >:(  (In the meantime, I hear the gal who's having the sale say, "I have a shop on the square".)

I didn't buy anything more - that gal took all the good stuff.  Rats!!  I'm not "into" scrapbooking, but I plan on using the things I got to decorate gift packages. 

Oh well . . . I'm happy with the $1 purchase I spent today.   ;D

Bucky

newhorizons

« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2010, 07:40:49 AM »
Morning Bucky, You have such an influence on me.

New Horizons for Me: Stopped at a consignment store yesterday as hubby is having his 50th HS class reunion and we plan to go.

Lady was about 45 minutes late getting to store. Went ahead and got my hair cut and returned just before she got there.  Three others were waiting for her to open the door. Said I had spent 45 minutes waiting for her to come and that I should get 45 % off the price of my items. Others told how long they had waited.

When found a beautiful suede jacket embellished with monogramming, I went to check out and she said she was going to give me 45% off the tag price.... $16 for a nice suede jacket and when got home found tag tucked in pocket and one of the 'thingies' that keeps it from collecting mold.  Looks like its not been worn before as no indication on elbows.  

Well, good thing we don't live in the same neighborhood OR I probably end up catching GARAGE SALE FEVER FROM YOU...

You are truly a sweetheart, Bucky.... Have a good weekend. :-*   Joy looking for new horizons to explore!!!!! :)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 07:42:53 AM by newhorizons »

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2010, 11:55:14 AM »
NewJoy -  (how do you like my new name for you?)   ;)

Great deal on the suede jacket! 

I've always told my son, "always ask - the worst they can say is "no" ", so good for you speaking up about a 45% discount!!  Congrats on that!!

(Have fun at hubby's class reunion . . tonight is my 35th - I'm not going as it is 480 miles away.)

Yesterday, I stopped at a few garage sales.  One sale the people were moving.  She had three Thomas Kinkade pictures - $5.50 each.  I've always loved his pictures and would have bought them if they had been one big picture and not three vertical small prints in each frame.  I picked them up - looked at them, and put them down and moved on.  The lady said, "if you're interested in the pictures, I can work out a deal with you" . . . . I told her I would like a big picture, not small ones.  I told hubby about it this morning - he said, "awww, you should have bought them - you could have resold them for more!".  They did have the letter of authenticity attached too.  Oh well.

I did buy a few toys at a sale 25c each for resale.  I love when I buy something inexpensive at one sale . . . come home, do nothing but put a higher price sticker on it and put it in my sale.  Pure profit!   ;D

I'd really like to have a garage sale here soon.  I just need someone to sit out there with me (our house sits back from the road - feel safer having someone else here with me).  Anybody available to come sit with me?   :D  I'll feed ya!

I need to have the sale before October rolls around (which isn't far away) as my son and another gentleman hunt on our property.  I don't think they would appreciate cars coming in and out of the driveway all day when they are trying to hunt.

There were a few sales in the paper today - but, I didn't venture out.  Slept in and then it rained.  There is one interesting sale in the paper on Monday afternoon - might have to go check it out!   :D

Here, they have garage sales almost any day of the week.  Certain towns have sales earlier in the week than others.  So, if a person really wanted to, they could go to garage sales all week long! 

Happy hunting . . . .  ;D

Bucky

lynnmarie219

« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2010, 01:07:22 PM »
HI Bucky....

I wish you would have bought the Thomas Kinkade pictures too! I love his pics and would have come down and bought them from your next garage sale...lol! I especially like the cottage series and some of the lighthouse ones as well!

Sigh.....

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2010, 08:20:05 AM »
Woohoo . . . I see in the local paper that this Saturday is my favorite subdivision sale!!  Yay!   ;D  This subdivision you can park your car and walk quite a bit before you move the car.  At times like this is when I wish my car was like Kit . . . just call it, and it comes!  LOL   :D

I would love to own a golf cart - just zip around the subdivision in that!  That would be fun!

I still would like to have my own sale before snow flies - but, don't know how I would pull that off.  I need to have someone here to sit out there with me - no one is available during the week and I don't really want to tie up my Saturday having a sale (there is only one Saturday available before hunting season - and that is THIS Saturday - nope, no sale for me this week).  What I might do is make a list of the big buck items I have to sell and post it at the grocery store bulletin board and get sales that way.  It costs too much to put an ad in the paper - cuts into my profit . . .  ;)

Happy bargain hunting everyone!   ;D

Bucky

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2010, 12:33:29 PM »
Hi

Today, before heading to the grocery store - I took in a few garage sales.   ;D

In fact, that subdivision sale that is on tomorrow had several garages open and selling today.  Yay!!  So, since I had my "fix" of sales today, I just might sleep in tomorrow . . . . depends. 

Anyhow, here's what I found:  a 2-disk CD music for 50c (turns out I already have this CD  ::) - at least I'm consistent - like the same music two times in a row!!  LOL  That's ok, I'll leave one set in the house and the other in the car.), a black sparkly beaded hand clutch purse to use for weddings or something like that - 50c, a new canvas tote - 25c, a 2 pc. rainsuit - new, $1 (will leave this in car in case we need it - it's neon orange, so we can use it as emergency signaling if we need to), a Pet nursing kit - 10c (who knows, we might need this some day for a stray animal or niece can use it in her playhouse), 2 vintage doilies - one 25c - one 50c, silver bracelet - 75c, glass square vase that I am going to put Christmas lights in 75c, a pink shirt for son - 50c (next week they are having a pink day at school . . not sure he will wear pink, but for 50c - no big deal if he won't wear it).   So, for $4.35 total I had fun!!   ;D

Did I "need" any of the above items . . . no . . . but, I will use them.  If nothing else, turn around and put them in my next sale.   ;D

Bucky

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2010, 06:51:37 AM »
WANTED:   Helper(s) to set up and help me with my garage sale this week.  Will provide lunch and vanilla frosting on saltine crackers.   ;D

Ok, I'm going to bite the bullet and get a garage sale together for this week.  It's Wednesday morning . . . . I will be working on setting this up throughout today.  None of my usual helpers are here to lend a hand, so I will be doing this solo.   :(

Depends on how much I get done today, whether I will open up tomorrow or wait until Friday.  I want to have a two day sale - either Thursday and Friday, or Friday and Saturday.  IF I have a sale tomorrow, I will have to be here by myself - which I'm not too keen on, since our house sits back from the road - I prefer to have someone else here with me.  So, I'm leaning towards Friday/Saturday.    There is a 30% possibility of rain on Sat. (none for the next two days).

I certainly hope I make more this sale than I did in my sale in June - $39.25 for the three days.   ::)  I put so much time and work into my sales that it gets so discouraging when I don't make very much.

So, please keep your fingers crossed for me, send some "good vibes" my way and if you are so inclined to come help me, all the better.   ;D  We'll have fun!!

Gotta keep moving . . . . . .

Bucky

Katybarstool

« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2010, 01:50:24 PM »
Count me in Mrs Bucky - although I can only be there in spirit.

Kathyx

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2010, 07:35:06 PM »
Thanks Kathyx . . . .  ;D

Well, I've got the garage swept, tables up, plastic up (I put up plastic along the walls to cover up tools, etc.), have brought the items to sell up from the basement.  Now, tomorrow, I will unpack everything and hang clothes up and arrange items on the tables (everything is already marked).  Make a run to the bank to get small bills.  Change the dates on my signs (I use these heavy-duty steel posts with my signs - I just change the days/times each sale), and put them up tomorrow afternoon.  Then Friday and Saturday will be my sale.   ;D

It's gonna be chilly out there Friday morning - we're suppose to be in the 40's.  Brrrrrrrrr  Our garage faces to the West, so we don't get the sun until the afternoon.

TJ - our 3 month old kitten couldn't figure out what I was doing out there all morning/afternoon.  He had fun chasing the broom.   ::)  Hopefully, he will stay out of the way during the sale - otherwise, I will have to put him in the cage on the porch.

Anybody is welcome to come to my sale - just follow the yellow signs.  Bring lots of money!!  ;D

Bucky

P.S. Kathyx - I played my Billboard 60's-70's music while I was setting up the sale today.  Thought of you.   ;)

Katybarstool

« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2010, 01:23:02 PM »
You sound as if you've been so busy Mrs Bucky but I bet you are looking forward to :) Sending you lots of positive vibes.

Now about the music, the Pushbike song keeps going around ib my head. Was that on your music list by any chance?

Kathyx

newhorizons

« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2010, 06:21:25 PM »
Bucky, Please put TJ in a safe place. He might just decide to climb into a warm car and go home with someone.

CAGE THAT TIGER UP... ;)  Newjoy
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 06:36:02 PM by newhorizons »