Author Topic: The 8-month Garage Sale "adventure" begins this Saturday!!  (Read 12986 times)

Bucky

• Global Moderator
Greetings from Central Illinois.   :D

For those of you who have been on the forum for a while - you know that one of my loves is garage sale season . . . . . . welllllllllllllllllllllll, Saturday it begins!!   ;D  Woohoo!!  It's an indoor, heated sale which is nice this time of year because it is still nippy in the morning hours.  This is an annual sale held at the high school to benefit the band program.  We've found some great buys here in the past.  Of course, the key to any bargain hunting adventure - the early bird gets the best deals!!  This sale starts at 7 a.m. - I will be there at 6:40 a.m. waiting in line for the doors to open - and bet your bottom dollar - I will be one of the first 10 in the door!!!   ;D

I always give fair warning to my family . . . . "IF anybody is planning on going with me in the morning, I'm leaving at 6:30 a.m. - if you're not ready, I'm leaving without you!!"  They have learned through the years, Mama ain't kidding . . . be ready, or be left behind!!  LOL   ::)  You definitely don't mess with Mama and her garage sales.   :D  My husband has threatened to put a magnetic sign "caution, this vehicle makes sudden stops for garage sales" on my car!!   ::)

I've also seen my second favorite sale is coming up the beginning of April.  A HUGE Subdivision sale.  Unfortunately, this sale is spread out through this subdivision (which circles a lake) so you have to keep moving your vehicle.  The in and out, in and out of the vehicle gets old after a while - but, I'll give it a shot.   :D  There has only been one time in recent years that I haven't gone to this sale.  Actually, I WAS on my way to the sale - I had an infected tooth and my face was puffed up, it was aching and I didn't feel real good.  I got halfway to this subdivision, then turned around and went home.   :'(  Now you know I wasn't feeling good to pass this semi-annual sale up!!

Another of my favorite sales is coming up in April too.  The HUGE flea market in Kodak, TN. - (actually, this is open year-round, we just don't get there often).   This year we're not going to get there quite so early - a lot of the booths weren't open yet.  IF the weather is nice, they have booths both inside and outside.   :o  That's a lot of walking!!  Now granted, some of this stuff is just "junk" . . . . but, you never know what you'll come across.  As you know, "one man's junk is another man's treasure!".   ;D

Once the weather warms up a tad bit more, I hope to have my own garage sale at my house.  Depends on how wet of an April we have and how muddy our driveway is.  We really need a load of gravel before all the cars (many times over 100 cars in a 3-day sale) are up and down our driveway.   :o

Anybody else a bargain hunter at a garage sale, tag sale, jumble sale, flea market, "junk" sale or whatever name it goes by in your area??   I just love, love, love 'em!!   ;D   ;D

Bucky

« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 12:34:36 PM by Bucky »
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

baileybugster

Re: The 8-month "adventure" begins this Saturday!!
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 06:42:33 PM »
I am with you on this one.  I love a good sale.  I also love to go to the flea markets.  I didn't get to as many garage sales last year since I am having trouble walking but I now have a wheelchair so we get to go to the flea markets as much as we want.  I find lots of neat things at some of the garage sales.  We also have subdivisions that have really nice sales.  Some of them are places with really big and fancy houses and they get rid of all kinds of things.  I would rather do this than go to the mall.  lol.  My family loves it also.

Do you like to go to auctions.  I find them fun also.

Sheila

Patze

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 06:51:51 PM »
Good luck Bucky, and have a ton of fun!!!!  And don't forget to do some shopping for me too!  :D

Patze
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 07:03:36 PM by Patze »
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

Pisces24

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 04:34:38 PM »
Oh Gosh! I love garage sales too.    I like socializing with the folks too as well as the bargains. LOL  We have several subdivisions/neighborhoods around here that have sales. Funny as I run into the same people every year.  If their sign(s) are very readable, I compliment them on them. I hate the teeny little signs you can't see from the road driving! Maybe we need a universal NEON color sign that is always used for garage sales?

There is a group of ladies I always run into in the Fall. When their husbands are watching football they all pile into the van and go garagesale-ing. Nice fun group.

I definitely brake for garage sales.

Bucky

• Global Moderator
Re: The 8-month Garage Sale "adventure" begins this Saturday!!
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 06:03:48 AM »
Good morning!   ;D

Well, I got up early - was FIRST in line at the school  ;D, and was in and out within 20 minutes!!  As with any sale, some times are better than others.  This year wasn't one of the better years for the high school sale.   :'(  In the past there have been TONS of tables and stuff all over the gymnasium - today, was at least half the amount, or even less than half the amount!  I don't know if it's because of the economy - maybe people are keeping their stuff to sell at their own garage sales to make a little bit of money.   ???

Here is my big buys of the day:  My whole $1 I spent on the following items:  a new package of 50 tea lights, 2 boxes with an assortment of tea lights and votives (total of 64 tea lights, 29 votives), a new "over the hill medical alert bracelet" - this will come in handy for a gag gift at someones birthday.  (The bracelet says:  "OVER THE HILL MEDICAL DISASTER Everything that doesn't hurt, doesn't work!") . . . hmmmm, maybe I should wear this now for myself!!!   ::)

The votives and tea lights will come in handy for the frequent power outages we have.  I went through quite a few tea lights this past winter.

I wish there were some more sales on today - but, it's still pretty early in the season for garage sales.  Too cold to be sitting out in a garage for hours on end.   It will be here soon . . . . .  :D

Enjoy your Saturday!!

Bucky
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 12:36:00 PM by Bucky »
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

Joy Cox

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 07:01:17 AM »
Bucky, Seems it was more exciting here than out 'looking' for the 'hot stuff!" ;D

salsen

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 08:02:51 PM »
Bucky I am with you, I love garage sales.  I have been going for over 30 years now and always seem to find some bargain.  My favorites are brand new items that you get for little or nothing. Most of my family laugh at how frugal I am but then again I do not owe on charge cards and stay within our means.  So YEAH !  I have also checked out the local American Thrift Store and often found many great buys as our local Sears and Target donate many new items to it.  I have noticed in the past year an increase in people, many who look very well groomed and dressed, shopping there.  I am hoping they are just looking for a bargain like me and not because of job loss.  In this economy, I think our hobby has become fashionable.  Happy hunting!!

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 01:12:24 PM »
Last Friday, I got to go to a town wide garage sale.  Woohoo . . . . It was raining a little, but nothing stops us true garage salers.    ;)  By the time I got done, my hair looked like a drown rat - but, I had some bargains in the trunk of the car.   ;D

Found several brand new items - a fleece blanket for $1, one of those WillowTree figurines $3 (which I might mark up and resell at my garage sale), an 18 oz. Ruby Red Holly Berries soy candle $1 (smells really good), a pretty green w/purple flower tote bag 25c and a new small pill organizer for 25c that will fit nicely in my purse.

I also found some hardback books for my son - 50c each, which would have had a retail value of $151.70 and I paid $2.50!!  Bought some little toys for resale paying 10c or 25c each.  As I have mentioned on other occasions - I have a hard time finding a purse I like.  It HAS to have a zipper to close it, prefer a double handle versus a shoulder bag, pockets on the inside and preferably a pocket on the outside for my keys.  Within the last year, I have hit the "Bucky purse lottery" at sales and found some really good buys.   :D  This time included!  I got a retired Vera Bradley red bandana purse for $3, a green Worthington purse for 50c, and another no-name green leather purse for 50c.  I tend to always end up with a black or brown purse so I went "outside the box" and got some different colors.  Are these a "need"?  NO, but I will use them and then rotate out some of my other purses.  I make it sound like I have a ton of purses, I really don't - maybe six, including these ones.  The price and style were right.   ;D

I passed up the chance at a subdivision sale on Saturday.  Can't do the back-to-back big sales like that any more.  Besides, the money tree in the back yard hasn't bloomed yet!  LOL

Anybody find any good buys lately?

Happy bargain hunting!

Bucky

lynnmarie219

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 04:29:54 PM »
Oh Bucky,

I can see and feel the happiness in your words.....you truly do enjoy these sales don't you? I'm glad that you have something that you enjoy so much and you also find some good deals in the process too!  ;D

Keep up the good bargain hunting my friend and have fun!

Patze

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 06:08:25 PM »
Hey Bucky,

Any needle point books that you've run across?

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2010, 01:25:01 PM »
Lynnmarie - yes, I do enjoy my sales!!   ;D   ;D

Patze - ummmmmmmmmmm - probably.  I've never "looked" for them, but I'm sure I've been at sales that do sell needlepoint books.  Want me to look for you?  Anything in particular you're looking for?  Of course you know, you have to take a roadtrip and come pick them up!!   ;D  I'll invite Lynnmarie & Aliendog over when you come so we can all meet up.   :D

Bucky

lynnmarie219

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 04:30:20 PM »
Wouldn't we be the the group!!! Oh   My   Goshhhh!

You, Patze, AD, and me.....your neighbors would turn us all in for sure as we would turn your neighborhood upside down!! But it would be tonzzzzzzzzzzz of funnnnnnn!!!  ;D

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2010, 09:31:03 AM »
Guess what today was???  One of my favorite subdivision sales.   ;D  My son and I walked, and walked, and walked, and walked.  I spent a whole 85 cents!   :o  I got two brand new, still in the package, baby hooded towels - 25c each!  (Store sticker on the back of one said $10 and the other sticker said $13).  An Elmo fleece hoodie for my great niece, 25c.  A heavy plastic airplane - 10c (bought this for resale in my sale).    Son found a book for $1 and a Kodak EasyShare camera w/3 batteries for $12 (I've taught him well - he's looking to resell this and make some money  :D).

Anybody else go "saling" this past week or weekend??

Bucky

Katybarstool

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2010, 11:08:51 AM »
My bargain wasn't s good as yours, Bucky - but I did buy a very smart mac (Per Una) that sould have been ?69.50 - I got it for ?35. Well pleased!

Kathyx

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2010, 11:03:48 AM »
TGIF everyone!!   ;D

Went to a sale today and got some music CD's for $1 each.  I hardly, if ever, buy music new - I always find good deals at sales.  I just check and make sure the CD isn't all scratched up and what the case says, is what is inside (I have found some to have been mixed up before).  Right now, I'm listening to The Steve Miller Band Greatest Hits 1974-78 . . . ah, some of the songs I remember from my youth as a teenager.   :D I can understand how my parents / grandparents liked to hold on to certain parts of their past . . things we remember about growing up.  The music we listened to, what was happening then, etc.

The other CD's I got were:  The Eagles - Their Greatest Hits  (another 1970's goodie), The Best of Reba McEntire, Shania Twain - Come on Over, and Carrie Underwood - Some Hearts.

I'm old fashioned, I don't have an Ipod, or any of those new fangle-dangle gadgets that people have for music.  I still use a radio, cassette player, CD player and . . . . . RECORDS!!  I love my record player (actually, it's a combo unit - radio,cassette, CD player and record player in one).

Ahhhh, going to enjoy my trip down memory lane as I do some housework this afternoon.   ;D

Bucky