Author Topic: What makes our Parotid glands swollen  (Read 21426 times)

Daisy1234

Re: What makes our Parotid glands swollen
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2010, 03:53:00 PM »
Bernice, I hope that never happens to you too.

For my part, I would just like to ensure that everyone who has SJS is aware of what can happen and hopefully avoid going thru the suffering I did.  The first time I got a Parotid gland infection, I hadn't even been diagnosed as of yet with SJS and didn't know what the heck it was.  I thought I just had a really bad flu bug and left things too long, about 4 days without medical treatment.  At that point, I asked my husband to take me to the nearest medical clinic, and although the wait time since we didn't have an appointment was to be an hour, they brought me in to see the doctor right away, and I was rushed to the hospital and spent 3 weeks in the ICU with heavy duty pain meds and lots of strong antibiotics.   I am much more diligent now and although I still end up in the hospital with these from time to time, I jump on the situation right away and get the medical treatment I need immediately so it doesn't get so out of control, doesn't always work out that way but sometimes does.
Very very important to keep the salivia flowing for us SJS patients and one other tip is that if your lacrimal glands (tear producing glands) have been producing very little tears as can be determined by the Schirmer test done by your opthamologist, it is very likely that your Salivary glands are in the same boat as the two often go hand in hand with their secretion production levels.

Epson

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2010, 04:25:45 PM »
I don't know if I'm the only one, but there was a time that if I consummed sour fruit or candy I would get an unpleasant tingeling in my parotid glands.  Now I can suck on a lemon and it doesn't seem that sour, people are always amazed, wonder if it's the Sjogren's. ???

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2010, 05:44:32 PM »
Hmmmmm Epson - maybe this disease has just made you bitter!   ;D
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

Epson

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2010, 10:26:13 PM »
I'm sure it has.

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2010, 06:38:43 AM »
You may have that wrong. If everything tastes sweeter maybe epson is just that much more sweet?
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

beautifulkrissy026

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2010, 12:56:45 PM »
Hey thanks for the smile today. You guys are funny. I swear every time I'm reading on here and I get a smile it's usually the same people involved. LOL! ;D
Kristine

Daisy1234

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2010, 03:42:00 PM »
Epson, with the progression of SJS, we often lose our sense of taste and also sense of smell.  Thus the taste of things that would have made us cringe with bitterness in the past may go unnoticed now.  I know that each time I get an endoscopy they always spray my throat with a very bitter local anthestitic first and the doctor and nurses are always surprised that I don't react to the taste whatsoever.  There is always a silver lining if we look for it.   :)

Prairie Gal

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2010, 05:56:41 PM »
I have fairly mild symptoms compared to many of you, I think, and when it comes to the parotid glands, mine have never swollen.  I had mumps at age 21, so I know what swollen glands look like! 

I do have pain, usually off and on for a few days/nights and then it goes away for a couple of weeks.  What helps me is to massage the area from below the ear lobe along the jaw line, always going in that direction. If that doesn't work, I put warm compresses on the area for about 10 minutes and massage again.  That usually does it.  On the rare occasions it doesn't work, I take Advil for the pain.

Prairie gal

eyeamdry

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2010, 08:26:38 PM »
Can someone describe where the pain is?  I'm not trying to be funny, lol, but want to know.  I think my parotid glands have shriveled up and gone to dust.  My eyes have been zero Schirmers for a long time.  My mouth and throat have been dry a shorter amount of time, but are very dry now and it's been several years.  I do not notice any pain around where I think the parotids are.

Funny thing, my grown daughter who had/has  Diabetes Type I and Graves Disease has one chipmunk cheek.  She has brought this to her dentist's attention different times and also her family practitioner.  I swear it has to be a parotid gland, but she says it doesn't hurt.  If she ever talks about dryness, I think I know what to expect. My glands have to be pretty shriveled by now and I can't think how they don't hurt.  I guess I should count myself lucky and let it go at that.
Lucy

louise

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2010, 08:38:12 PM »
For me it is below my ear and along my jaw line. It is a horrible pain worst than any other pain any place else in my body . And I have a lot of places with pain. It is a constant sore achy pain when they hurt. Mine kind of stays swollen at least compared too how it used to be but it does not hurt most of the time.
primary sjogrens, adderall xr, diclofenac ,vitamin d3, percocet, b12,b6, omega3, ibuprofen, protonix, voltaren gel, lots of sugarless gum and candy.

beautifulkrissy026

« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2010, 07:58:33 AM »
I've been having problems with the joint area right in front of my ear. It's been sore for about 2 months and is now going below the ear and down the jaw line. The dentist told me it's from clenching my teeth. He told me to take Motrin and flexerall's at night. However ther is no consideration in the fact that I have children to take care of in the middle of the night. Flexerall's kick my butt all night and the next day. After reading all this stuff I'm wondering if it's from the SJS and not from clenching.
Kristine

Prairie Gal

« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2010, 05:58:01 PM »
Kristine, my pain is right in the ear or below it, so I think you're probably right in thinking it's pain from your parotid.  Before my Dx of SjS, I thought  I was getting a cold, so I'd take Sudafed. Of course, that dried my up even more. :(

I take 5 mg. of Flexeril (half a tablet) 3-4 nights a week about 2 hrs. before bed; otherwise, I wake up toward morning all tense and stiff -- a whole-body cramp.  I've been taking it for almost 9 years, so take a whole tablet the other nights because my body has gotten accustomed to the drug and half a pill doesn't work after a couple of nights.  I've never found that taking Flexeril helps the pain from my parotid gland.  I therefore think your dentist is wrong, but maybe you can educate him! 

If you'll go back to my message on this thread a bit earlier, you'll see what I do to relieve the pain.  BTW, I read this tip in the second edition of the New Sjogren's Syndrome Foundation handbook, which I bought a few months after my SjS Dx.  It has quite a few tips that the later edition doesn't have.

The parotid pain -- usually on my right side -- sometimes wakes me up in the middle of the night, but the massaging trick usually helps.  When it hits during the day, it can be more stubborn so I have to do the warm compresses in addition to the massage.  Your pain may be worse than mine, but it's worth a try.   As I said in my earlier post, if doing this doesn't help, I take Advil.  That doesn't happen often anymore, though.  I think Plaquenil has helped me in many ways.

Prairie gal

Bernice

« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2010, 06:42:40 PM »
I've had doctors confuse it for TMJ or sinus probems before I read here on Sjogrens World I thought so too. Like everywhere else mine seem to shift.

I'm still waiting for doctor to call me with results form test, I think I will call Friday if I haven't heard from him. Don't really know what the bloodtests and MRI/MRA will show by way of glands, though, if anything. Just when I told him I had swelling his thought was immediatey bloodtests????

Joy Cox

« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2010, 06:50:48 PM »
Hi beautifulkrissy026, The cheapest way to find out if you are clinching or sometimes called grinding your teeth. Go to Wal-mart's sports section and get a mouth guard that kids or adults use for athletic sports. 

If it helps with pain, then you can decide if you want to 'invest' in a night splint that is custom made.

Bernice

« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2010, 06:57:10 PM »
Joy Cox,
You are such a blessing to us! Ya really are, always there with good, solid and simple answers!!!

Take Care, Your Friend On The Other Side!
Bernice