Author Topic: What makes our Parotid glands swollen  (Read 21427 times)

Billydude

What makes our Parotid glands swollen
« on: March 20, 2010, 12:15:07 PM »
The one thing I've never learned to understand is why the parotid glands become swollen in some of us.   Is it an on-going infection or what?   If its an infection shouldn't we take antibiotics.   Mine never seem to go down and sometimes they are larger than other times.   I try to understand my disease but just not clear on this one.

cport

Re: What makes our Parotid glands swollen
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 12:45:15 PM »
Hi there,
I'm not sure of the actual answer here but i do suffer with the same problem and i saw the specialsist recently. They said that the parotid gland is part of the salivery glands and sjogren's sufferers salivery glands are attacked by the disease causeing them not to function properly. It's because the gland is being destroyed that causes the swelling and sometimes pain.

I hope that helps a bit.

Claire xxx

Bernice

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 01:09:31 PM »
Mine are giving me the blues too, the right one is slightly swollen, but hurt on both sides with back of neck pains, headaches and feverish.

I wen to the doctor the other day and all he thought was to take more bloodtests, no meds. no discussion.

Joy Cox

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 01:46:30 PM »
Bernice, sounds like Fibro blowing its horn. Have spent last 2 wks. with the stuff.  :P

Know most suggest warm though have found through the yrs, cold pack to back of head will 'freeze' the little devil/devils! ;D Nicely said, it seems to reduce the swelling and them I get up and stroll around the house massaging them to bring blood back and its seems to 'break the knot up' which certainly helps relieve ::) pain.

Put on your Barney pjs and give it a try............in the middle of the night, of course.   

Mine's better! Now if i can get my 'get up and go' to work. Any suggestions?      Your buddy up the road :)

lighthouse33

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 01:55:17 PM »
Here is what was written on my last MRI Brain Scan:

Not fully evaluated by this study, but parotid glands evidence of atrophy presumably related to patient's diagnosis of Sjogren's syndrome.

Neuro said that my glands are small and atrophied.  Doesn't sound good to me.  Sounds as if they've been wiped out.
Female
Primary Sjogren's, polyneuropathy, endomitriosis, dietary fructose intolerance
Plaquenil, Lyrica, Tramadal, Omeprazole, Fortical, fish oil, flaxseed oil, benefiber, centrum chewable mulitviitamin, caltrate chewable 600 D+minerals, WSN Nerve Support Formula, Align, Biotene Products

Bernice

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 02:10:23 PM »
Joy, you probably right about the Fibro. I tell you my whole head hurts and like you don't have a lot os get up and go. I have spent this beautiful day inside trying to rest up for the next week. Kinda looking forward to seeing what MRI & MRA of brain will show, if anything! I took tests yesterday.

eyeamdry

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 05:48:13 PM »
Wos, I am lucking out on this one.  My saliva has definitely dried up although it was the last thing to go. So far, unless my parotid glands are elsewhere in my body than everyone else's, I have not had problems.  I know they are dried up and my lips are burning and numb.  I hope I can stay in there and not have any trouble.  Knock on wood.  Lucy

louise

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 06:11:14 PM »
My parotid gland on my left wants too act up about every 4-6 weeks lately . My doc told me it was from not having enough saliva to keep bacteria in check so it gets infected easily . I usually have to take antibiotics and steroids to calm it down.
primary sjogrens, adderall xr, diclofenac ,vitamin d3, percocet, b12,b6, omega3, ibuprofen, protonix, voltaren gel, lots of sugarless gum and candy.

Billydude

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 10:04:48 PM »
Louise,  thats what my instinct tells me.  If its an infection of sorts then I would think that my body is constantly fighting it.   I'll have to quizz my rhumy more about it.   Also,  they never hurt or anything.   Just large and have been for some time.   I was looking at a picture of myself from about 10 years ago and I could see one side was visibly swollen and I've only been diagnosed for two years now.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2010, 10:38:21 PM »
Sjogrens is a disease of the secreting glands. This means that our body is trying to kill of the tissue of any gland that secretes. This included all the salivary glands, mucus glands in other areas of the body and can affect the liver which makes and secretes bile which is stored in the gallbladder. Anyway, the action of our body trying to kill off the secreting tissue results in an increased amount of inflammatory cells that rush to these secreting glands and organs,

Our body has identified these body parts as invaders and is trying to kill them off with the white cells or inflammatory cells. We get so many of these cells that it causes swelling in the area. Thus the swollen salivary glands. This is not an infection. When we get an infection we generally have a low grade temp plus colored, foul smelling or tasting drainage.

Periodically we can have infection in our glands. Some people have more swelling than others. I don't have much swelling and don't have many acute or red hot infections. I seem to suffer from the chronic infections that are in my submandibular glands,etc. Hopefully Linda will show up and give her take on the subject. She always has a very good explaination for pretty much everything. Irish ;D

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 06:26:30 AM »
I do not know what the cause is but I do know...

If I do not sleep with a scarf covering them, they get worse.
If I do not do a lymphatic massage of my neck and Pec's they will get worse.
If I do not take vitamin C they tend to get inflamed.

This is just me. You may be different.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

louise

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, 09:17:30 AM »
I have a lot of pain with the swelling. Mine stays swollen most of the time on one side but it is not painful all the time.When it is painful it is swollen more than usual and I end up going to the doctor  for prednisone.
primary sjogrens, adderall xr, diclofenac ,vitamin d3, percocet, b12,b6, omega3, ibuprofen, protonix, voltaren gel, lots of sugarless gum and candy.

AprilFool

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2010, 09:37:14 AM »
I have noticed that I have more pain and swelling in my parotid glands when I am stressed.  The pain feels like a spasm. One day when I was very angry and upset, my right parotid visibly swelled up and stayed that way for the day and then went down.  It is puzzling.  I have an ENT appointment this week and hope to get some answers.

Daisy1234

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2010, 04:20:45 PM »
Hi I have primary SJS and experience anywhere from 2 to 4 Parotid gland infections yearly.  I'm talking about the type of swollen glands that extrude a pus discharge from the salivary gland opening in my mouth, with a fever and severe vomiting.  This is usually a result of a Staph infection and I have been hospitalized several times because of them.  The problem being is that sometimes the Staph infection gets out of control and can not be treated by oral antibiotics and spreads elsewhere.  Often the infection is caused by strictures in our salivary ducts (narrow portions) in which a piece of very small salivary gland debris gets stuck and cannot be dislodged.

On the other hand, I regularly experience inflammed parotid glands, (actually woke up with one side swollen this morning) where I experience a swollen parotid gland with no pus discharge and no fever, but feel a tightness on one side of my face with some minor discomfort (when compared to the infected gland I consider the discomfort minor) when the gland is touched or with swallowing, chewing or talking.  These types of inflammatory conditions do not require antibiotic treatments and I usually just apply warm compresses to them, massage them gently and continue taking my normal anti-inflammatory prescription meds.

Bernice

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2010, 05:38:23 PM »
My goodness, I pray mine DO NOT get infected, that sounds horrible!!!!!!!

The thing is, mine don't normally swell and even now the swellling is slight y would have to study closely to even notice, the pain goes and come as well as the slight fever. I don't really have a problem with dry mouth, just hope this is not the start of that! ::)

Daisy, you can believe after reading your post I am massaging them now, though this seems to cause some pain, but I DO NOT want an infection. That's scary!!!!!!!