Author Topic: Infrequent urgent diarrhea  (Read 4405 times)

shaz

Infrequent urgent diarrhea
« on: March 16, 2010, 03:36:53 PM »
Hi everyone,

i'm new to Sjogren's world, and am hoping someone can shed some light on one of my symptoms.  i was diagnosed with Sjogren's about 2 years ago, but they reckon I've had it for about 8 years at this stage.  I have most symptoms fairly well under control.  But one thing I keep getting is this crazy urgent diarrhea.  There doesnt seem to be any pattern to it.  I can be completely free of it for weeks/couple of months, and then it returns with a vengence!  I cant link it to a particular food, believe me Ive tried!  It usually happens about an hour after eating, I have to run for the bathroom.  And it burns like heck, feels very acidic.  once its done I feel fine.  I dont get nausea with it.  usually ill experience it for a week or two.

Does anyone have a clue what is going on?

thanks,

Shaz

sleeeepy

Re: Infrequent urgent diarrhea
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 04:26:12 PM »
hello there..could be IBS...Irritable bowel syndrome which I have had for 24 years.  it is also very common with people with sjogrens.  I am not a doctor so maybe you should ask your doc at your next visit.  Taking Probiotic pills have helped me very, very much to control my symptoms of IBS.    Mary

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 08:08:55 PM »
Hi Shaz  :)

Welcome to Sjogren's world.  :)

The first thing that came to my head was IBS too but the sensible thing to do would be to ask a doctor about it. I've always been told that changes in bowel habits should be investigated. Sjoggies often do have GI issues but having SjS doesn't, of course, stop us from getting other things too.

Hope you get answers soon.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

lynnmarie219

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 08:16:33 PM »
Hi Shaz and welcome to Sjogrens World!

I also have IBS and although I get sick of some doctors blaming everything on IBS it does sound like it could possibly be this for you. A GI doc would be the one to diagnose this after ruling out other issues for you such as other colon  problems etc.

If it is IBS, there are medicines to help in addition to probiotics like sleeeepy mentioned. My symptoms are pretty frequent (daily to many times a day most of the time) but I think like anything else everyone is very individual.

Do you have a GI doc already that you can ask about this? If so....it sure wouldn't hurt to run it by him/her. And if you don't have one....it wouldn't  hurt to run the question by your GP and maybe they can refer you on for some additional testing or to a GI doc!

Good luck...I know how much this can affect your life!
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

"If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane"   Jimmy Buffett

warmwaters

• Just keep swimming - Dora
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 08:31:41 PM »
That's the symptom that eventually led to my diagnosis of Sjogren's. (Long story there, but...) I still have it intermittently. I've been the full battery of test, colonoscopy, etc. Right now I take Prilosec for some of the acid reflux that I also had. I find that if I avoid certain foods I do better. Some of the problem foods are fatty foods, coffee (and oh how I miss it), the veggies that have a lot of insoluble fiber (cabbages, broccoli, etc) and eggs.

In some sense I'm following an IBS style diet, though I haven't been diagnosed with it. My GI guy also also told me to take immodium to get through it. On the other hand, the first GI guy told me never to take immodium. So... I believed the guy whose advice I liked :-\, and use immodium to stop the diarrhea. Do check about that though.

As everyone says, get it checked. In this funny old world of our bodies, we don't always know which disease is causing which problem, we just want to get it fixed.
Primary Sjogrens, dx June 2009, Immunoglobulin deficiency, axial spondylosis arthritis, IBS, autonomic neuropathy
Omeprazone DR 40 mg, mobic 15 mg, Plaquenil, LDN, B1, B6, B12, D, fludrocortisone, peridonstigmine, various inhalers

Patze

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 08:43:07 PM »
Hi Shaz,

Let me also welcome you to the SJS World and family!  Please do look around as there are tons of topics to be found, and oodles of information by using the search engine in the upper left hand of this page.

Oh yes, I too have IBS, and that can be a symptom of it, and remember that I'm not in the medical field (never have been or will be), but are you allergic to a food item maybe?  I know my stomach goes into a minor meltdown when I eat diary.  Now I can eat a little now and then, but nothing like I used to (everyday with every meal).

Have you seen your primary about it?  Or a gastro maybe?  If you have, what did he say about it?

Hang in there and take care of yourself...and I hope that you feel better soon!

Patze

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

Billydude

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 08:57:31 PM »
Many of us also have Celiac Disease (gluten sensitivity).   Have you been checked for that.   Or,  try a gluten free diet for awhile and see if that helps.

Prairie Gal

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 09:14:55 PM »
Funny you should mention diarrhea:  I've had two 'attacks' today.  Don't know yet if it's just for today or whether I'm in for a siege.  The last time it went on for four months, but wasn't as bad as the first time when I lost 12 lbs. in 3 weeks.  When it goes on for a while, I see my dr. because I do wonder if it's something serious.  Now I think that for me it's a SjS 'benefit.'

I'm not too bad, though, because i've had only 3 sigmoidoscopies and 1 colonoscopy in the last 8 years; they don't turn up any reason for it.    The first time, the dr. said I probably picked up a pathogen they don't normally test for; it was bad, waking me up at 3:00 in the morning, etc.  They prescribed Questran powder, a binding agent.  When I asked my dr. how it worked, she said it often constipates patients.  However, in my case that was what we wanted to accomplish!  I gradually eased up on the dosage and the problem stopped.

My GI dr.  put in a standing order last fall for me to pick up the little stool-sample bottles to turn in to the lab.  He said I may have something that's just below the radar on the lab tests, but that if I have another long-running episode, to take in the samples every 3 weeks - lovely.  He did test me for Celiac disease; nothing.  Doesn't think I have IBS, either.

I have tried to figure out if it's my diet, but I don't really change it a lot.  I've been taking a probiotic since last September but eased up on the dose a bit recently, so guess I'll ramp it up again to see if that makes a difference.

Prairie gal
72 y/o F; SjS; Raynaud's; Lichen Sclerosus; Prilosec; Flexeril; Clobetasol; Lisinopril. ToCo-Q 10; MegaEFA; Black Currant seed oil; 5-HTP; SAM-e; Slo-Mg; Vit D3; Calcium; Aleve; 81 mg aspirin; multi-vitamin/mineral; Vit. B1,3, 6 & 12.

shaz

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 10:11:02 PM »
Thanks for all your emails. I'll give the probiotics a go. I was tested for celiac disease before but it came back negative. I'm due to go see my rheumy in two weeks, so maybe I'll ask her to send me to a GI doc. For sure when it's episode time I usually have heartburn too. Maybe they're linked. Oh well one more diagnosis. :).  I've hypothyroidism too, but I'm told that's supposed to make you constipated.

Do you ever feel like a hyperchondriac when you head to the doctor? I hate going in with a long list, I always feel like I sound moany. 

Shaz

sewandsew

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 11:08:08 PM »
My GI prescribed Questran years before my SJS DX.  He said the problem was because I did not have a gallbladder.  I have wondered for sometime since the DX if it really was SJS.  It does help and yes, fatty foods are the culprits as well as spicy dishes.

eyeamdry

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 11:10:46 PM »
I haven't had a gall bladder in 25 years.  I don't feel any different now than I did before.  I do get these IMMEDIATE CALLS OF NATURE and I'd better find one pronto.  I didn't notice that I couldn't eat anything before or after that I couldn't before or after-sorry for stuttering- so I just never had another gall bladder attack than the one I had before the surgery.  Not even positive it was the GB except I did have stones. 

If anyone figures this out let me know.  When I was young 20-30's I used to have IBS bad.  Must have grown out of it (unlikely) or it went away with the gb surgery.  Lucy
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 11:14:38 PM by eyeamdry »

magistramarla

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2010, 11:38:18 PM »
I have those episodes, too.  Mine usually come the day after I have my MTX injection. 
I've also found that the Plaquenil can occasionally cause it, too.  I had a very embarrassing day once when I was still teaching.  The doc had increased my dose, and my body rebelled.  Ever have to go commando for most of the day in front of classes full of teenagers?  It's not very comfortable!!
Needless to say, I had to go back down to the lower dose.
Hugs,
Marla 

Billydude

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 01:08:44 AM »
Shaz,  I don't feel like a hypocondriac but I'm always afraid they are going to look at me like I'm one.

Patze

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2010, 04:08:09 AM »
Hi Shaz,

I'm also hypothyroid, and I can only wish I had had a normal gastric system.  Like Lucy, when the call came, I had to answer it as absolutely soon as I could for several years.  Only now is the old system going the other way, and am getting a lot of constipation (had some med changes recently).

Take care of yourself -

Patze

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

beautifulkrissy026

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2010, 07:12:34 AM »
I will wake up in the middle of the night with really horrible stomach pains (ones that would make you vomit), get diarrhea for a couple hours and then feel better. ??? It sux, I guess I'm not aloud to sleep. I go for a colonoscopy and endoscopy Thursday and I'm sure they will tell me everything is fine (makes me look like a hypo). So wish me luck I'll be exploding tonight to prep for the test tomorrow. Diarrhea and Sjogren's must go hand and hand in some sort of weird way.
Kristine