Author Topic: Ugh...dating?  (Read 21292 times)

Julie

• My reflection is not ME any more.
Re: Ugh...dating?
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2010, 03:54:43 PM »
Yes Kathyx, yes!  Any chance he lives in Colorado ????   Willing to relocate??  I don't think I could get my daughter out of the mountains.  She's a preschool teacher who LOVES the outdoors - particularly mountain climbing.  I keep telling her she NEEDS to apply for The Bachelor or Bachelorette show.  When the last guy was on, all I could think about was how she would have been a far more perfect match for him than that girl he chose.  I'm not biased or anything...    ;)   

lynnmarie219

« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2010, 10:42:50 AM »
Ah Julie

Can I do you a deal with my 29 year old son. New, unused, with his own business...

Kathyx

Kathy...you crack me up....does your son know that you are "looking" for him online here at Sjgorens World?  Too too funny!

Katybarstool

« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2010, 11:42:38 AM »
Lynnmarie, I told him I was looking - he just smiled. He would love a partner and children.  He adores his brothers children and has lots of patience with them. He had severe epilepsy as a youngster, but grew out of it at puberty. However, he is very shy. He works as an electronics engineer/programme writer, and qualified at night school a couple of years ago as an electrician. His former employer has him work part-time on a consultancy basis, and this week he has spent three days in Venice, problem finding on some machinery. It seems he never has time to find a lady friend.

Julie, shame, we are in the UK. Mind you, it's very green around here, and we're just a couple of hours away from our Lake District so, maybe we could persuade your daughter to relocate ;)   

Kathyx

Julie

« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2010, 12:08:30 PM »
Kathy,

Hmmm....Where in the U.K.?  He sounds like a good match if he loves children.  Shoot, if we can make a love connection for our 2 kids...I would move over there too, to be close to them.  I'd LOVE to see more of the world.  My husband is an electrical engineer, and it sounds like your son is following a similar path.  They have to travel so much for their jobs doing on-site installations.  Mine has been out of state for nearly 3 months now.  That does make it rough on a relationship.  Before we met, he was working for a company that was headquartered in Germany and did a lot of travel out of the country.

Well, your son and my daughter will find their perfect soulmates one of these days. 

All the best,

Julie

Katybarstool

« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2010, 12:12:46 PM »
Just read your post out to Philip - he was grinning from ear to ear!

Kathyx

lynnmarie219

« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2010, 01:10:51 PM »
Uh oh.....a possible love connection going on here maybe???

Sounds like a good possibility to me...... ;).

I'll just sit here quietly humming....Matchmaker, matchmaker make me a match...find me a find...catch me a catch....la da de da da .........

Katybarstool

« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2010, 01:14:05 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Kathyx

Pisces24

« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2010, 03:41:24 PM »
I am wondering/pondering if maybe guys or gals who have been through a tragedy be it their own illness/disease or taking care of someone make the best spouses/mates.
There is an idea for a study. LOL
It is just I have found that people who have, tend to 1) have a better outlook on life 2) have staying power in relationships and are more level headed. Sorry to sound if I am "bashing" the younger folks but most of the younger ones are still in the "Me" phase of life and got some emotional growing up to do.

As to anyone with an illness/disease that's dating - I'd recommend that you don't make it your #1 identifier. Teenagers get a zit on their face and they dwell on it. (attitude!) Come across that you are enjoying your life and though you have "xyz" you are not going to let it stop you.

BTW: Sounds like  good idea - an SJS dating website like match.com.  LOL
         As to the 29 yr old son, if I was only a heck of a lot younger. Sigh  ;)

Bernice

« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2010, 08:37:45 PM »
Pisces

I agree! Shoot, I don't care if you got a hump in your back and a green eye in the forehead ACT like it's suppose to be there, at least until you get to know the person for a short bit. You don't want your ailment to define you.

Don't go out there acting like you are interviewing them for a position as a home nurse!!!!! You don't have to hide your illness just don't let it dominate the date or meeting. If it rears it's ugly head and become noticable quickly and casually explain it and hurry and get back to the date mindset!

ErinG

Re: Ugh...dating? UPDATE :D
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2010, 11:05:26 PM »
No, I never said a word to that guy at my gym. 

I re-joined eHarmony back in May and I hadn't been making much progress.  My membership was about to expire and I was considering canceling my membership.  I thought I'd give match.com another try and re-joined that about 2 weeks ago to see if I had more luck there.

The following day I had a new eHarmony communication request from.....Hickory, from my town.  I was pretty sure there was only one man named Hickory in my town, and I was right.  He is the older brother of one my friends from elementary school!  We sped through the guided communication stages last week and started emailing.  I confessed that I knew his sister during our first phone call because I wasn't sure if that would make things awkward, but it seemed to make things even better.  We have had a lot to talk about so far and I am feeling really optimistic about this match.  We haven't set our first in-person meeting yet, but I am sure it will be soon. 

Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Julie

« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2010, 07:48:57 AM »
FANTASTIC, ERIN!!  Hope it turns out to be a love connection...or at least a good friendship.  It's nice that it's someone you are sort of already familiar with too.

Keep us informed!  I'll be rooting for you!

Julie

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2010, 11:47:41 AM »
Erin,

Woohoo . . . bet you are glad you gave match.com another try.   :D

Good luck with your match - take it nice and s-l-o-w and don't rush into anything. 

Just be yourself and enjoy meeting Hickory.  Being from the same town I think would be a plus. 

Keep us posted.

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Cheryl

• Sjogrens Staff
    • Enter here for chat room:
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2010, 12:01:06 PM »
Erin,
I hope he turns out to be just what you are looking for!  I feel as if I'm in on a big secret.  :)  Please keep us informed.
Cheryl
Chat co-host on Thursdays at 8:00 Eastern time

ErinG

« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2010, 12:31:53 PM »
Bucky,

The funny thing is he was matched from eHarmony!  I wish the timing had worked a little better before I shelled out money to match.com ;)  I ended up having to go an extra month on eHarmony too before we agreed to talk on the phone and he gave me his number.  I think it's worth it so far...

He and I both agreed that it's pretty funny that it took eHarmony to get us in touch with each other.  I have seen him here and there over the past few years but I had never spoken to him.  We have had a lot to talk about so far because we went to the same Catholic school through 8th grade, and we went to the same college, too.

I have exams this week and I'm finding it hard to study, even concentrating at work is tough.  It's a busy week for him, too, so hopefully by the end of the week we'll be able to figure out a time when we can meet.  I think I'll try to squeeze in a phone call tonight after my exam and before I head back home to study for the next one.

Thanks for all your support!

newhorizons

« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2010, 12:57:22 PM »
Erin, Let him be the 'seeker' ... you be 'sneaky' ... Most of all, have fun!!!   Suggestions from a Granny...  ;)

Update us when he calls! Best of luck, young lady!!