Author Topic: "Someone answer the phone already....wait that's my ears ringing!"  (Read 4951 times)

YYC_ Mommy

"Someone answer the phone already....wait that's my ears ringing!"

I am wondering if there is anyone who might have some tips on helping my ringing ears? I know that the Rheumy I am seeing is sending me for more tests, I have an MRI booked for April 20th. Still waiting for the nerve testing etc.

In the meantime I am wondering if anyone has had any success with helping their ringing ears? I have read online that you should try not to "think" about it. But it is really hard when they are ringing constantly and it seems to be getting louder.

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
Re: "Someone answer the phone already....wait that's my ears ringing!"
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 10:16:54 AM »
Meniere?s syndrome (labyrinthine vertigo) could be the problem. Try the {tones} at this link:

http://www.chakraforce.com/Tonations.html#11.

They may help.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

Dolly Dimples

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 01:58:59 PM »
  This sounds like Tinnitus to me.  I have had ringing in ears ,

but fortunately it left me without  ever having  had any treatment.

It is a nasty complaint, It was suggested to wear earphones playing music etc' ..helps to muffle the ringing,

being that you are indoors all the time and don't have to work!!
   April seems a long time to wait for one having this distressing thing..

so  hope you get to the bottom of this Mommy, and get rid of the ringing soon,,           Dolly

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 04:25:26 PM »
Could be Nsaids also.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

YYC_ Mommy

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 04:44:41 PM »
Thanks guys:)

I have had the ringing in my ears for many months now, probably about 6 months or more. I have not been on any NSAIDS so that can't be it but that would be an easy fix.

My GP thinks that it is part of the electrical shocks/vibrations that go through out my body. She said that she thinks that Sjogren's has effected my nervous system. Now I am seeing a Rheumy who also thinks that there is nerve involvement but wants to run the tests first.

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 05:44:17 PM »
Plaquenil can also cause tinnitus - at least it is listed in possible side effects in the leaflet in the box.

An ENT doc may help. (Mine told me to always have background noise going on)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

lagringa

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 06:54:36 PM »
For the longest time I never knew it was something that had a name: tinnitus. I thought everybody heard a sound in their ears. On the doctor questionnaires I never even checked off the box that said "ringing in the ears." I didn't know that it was what I had because I thought it was normal.

Now I realize that I have tinnitus. For me, it turns itself on and off randomly with no rhyme or reason. I get so used to it when it's "on," that when it suddenly goes "off," I'm like, wow, hmm, that ringing noise just left me and everything is so clear now.

About 2 years ago, for a month or so, I heard phantom sounds as well. It was so loud it woke me up at night. One night I heard Italian opera. It was so real that I went to the window and leaned out, sure that I'd be able to figure where the opera was coming from. Another time I heard what sounded like bamboo reeds being spilled onto the floor. It woke me up out of a deep sleep.

I realized that these sounds weren't there, but for some reason, my brain had decided to hear them. I googled it and found out it's called "phantom sounds." There's a good New York Times article on it called "Turning Down the Phantom Noise Inside the Head." The article is dated 21 August 2001 in case you want to find it online. I think you have to fill out a short form to create a user ID and password in order to access it, but it's free.

Patze

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 06:59:36 PM »
I've had tinnitus for several years, first the left ear (before I even started taking any meds), and the right ear decided to join in on the fun several years later (a whole 'nother set of noise than the left, makes trying to understand conversations interesting ::)).

If anyone wants a bit of used tinnitus, you're welcome to mine! ;) :D  It's free to the first one that applies... ;D

Patze
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 07:02:01 PM by Patze »
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

magistramarla

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 09:40:18 PM »
I'm new here, but I just wanted to add my experience.
I was diagnosed with Meniere's Disease in 1999, long before any AI issue was ever considered.  I was noticing a gradual loss of hearing in one ear for years before that, but at that time the tinnitus really started to get bad, the other ear started to be affected, and I started to have occasional bouts of vertigo. Luckily for me, I don't get nauseated from the vertigo, but I've had a few spectacular falls.
By 2007, I had a positive ANA and started down the road to a dx of MCTD.  Now, my new rheumy says that the Meniere's might be related to the AI issues and pointed me to some info about Autoimmune Inner Ear Disorder.  Google it - you might find it very interesting.
Hugs,
Marla

Prairie Gal

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2010, 06:45:00 PM »
My rheumy mentioned a couple of the meds I take might result in tinnitus and I told him they already had.  However, I'm used to it.  The only time I really notice this ringing in my ears is when I first put my head on the pillow at night.  Most of the time, regular household and/or office noise blocks it out.  So I guess I don't have it too bad.

Prairie gal

YYC_ Mommy

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2010, 11:09:53 PM »
I'm new here, but I just wanted to add my experience.
I was diagnosed with Meniere's Disease in 1999, long before any AI issue was ever considered.  I was noticing a gradual loss of hearing in one ear for years before that, but at that time the tinnitus really started to get bad, the other ear started to be affected, and I started to have occasional bouts of vertigo. Luckily for me, I don't get nauseated from the vertigo, but I've had a few spectacular falls.
By 2007, I had a positive ANA and started down the road to a dx of MCTD.  Now, my new rheumy says that the Meniere's might be related to the AI issues and pointed me to some info about Autoimmune Inner Ear Disorder.  Google it - you might find it very interesting.
Hugs,
Marla
Thanks, I will check this out

YYC_ Mommy

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2010, 11:11:03 PM »
I've had tinnitus for several years, first the left ear (before I even started taking any meds), and the right ear decided to join in on the fun several years later (a whole 'nother set of noise than the left, makes trying to understand conversations interesting ::)).

If anyone wants a bit of used tinnitus, you're welcome to mine! ;) :D  It's free to the first one that applies... ;D

Patze

Gosh Patze, I must have "applied" without knowing it. Now I know who to send it back to, LOL!

YYC_ Mommy

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2010, 11:14:36 PM »
I have been having the ringing in my ears for several months now, before I stated taking Plaquenil. If I am busy during that day, I don't hear it as much but it does add to the overall noise level that I hear (does that even make sense?). I am often saying that everything is just too loud.

navydad

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2010, 05:02:39 AM »
mine comes and goes,,moslty stays in left ear,, use some kind of white noise at night to get some sleep,,

beverley

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2010, 08:36:39 AM »
I've had tinnitus for years (discos in the sixties I think), but it does seem to be worse and I do take Plaquenil.  The only time it really interferes is at night when I am trying to ignore it to sleep.  I also have itchy inner ears quite often - I wonder if dryness here has anything to do with it?

Beverley