Author Topic: Droopy Eyelid  (Read 3110 times)

Rhonda

Droopy Eyelid
« on: March 08, 2010, 07:49:10 PM »
Anyone ever get droopy eyelid?  I noticed someone staring at me this morning.  When I looked in the mirror, I noticed my right eyelid droooping pretty bad.  AS the day progressed, it seems to be drooping more.  This is strange. 

Reanne

Re: Droopy Eyelid
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 08:54:04 PM »
I have that too, especially when I'm tired.  It's my left eye though.

reanne

irish

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 11:00:30 PM »
If you are having drooping eyelids it is time to have your neurologist check you for myasthenia gravis. This is a neurological autoimmune disease that attacks and destroys the enzyme that transmits the signal between the nerves and the muscle. This signal is what tells the muscle to be strong and able to respond as needed.

I have MG as it is called. I have droopy eyelids only occasionally now as I am on IVIG. MG also causes an extreme case of fatigue and almost an inability to pick up your feet to walk.The weakness overwhelms you and can also cause difficulty in breathing. Also be aware that you can have negative blood work for MG and still have it. Talk with your doc about this. The droopy eyelid is one of the cardinal symptoms of MG. Also, weakness in your arms when trying to dry your hair with the dryer is another symptom. Usually with MG if you sit or may down and rest your strength will return. Interesting disease. Irish ;D

jstroble

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 09:00:48 AM »
Irish

You mentioned that you can have myasthenia gravis and have negative blood work.  After almost 3 months I still have double vision (no droopy eyelid).  No one mentioned that to me at the last doctor visit.  I am going to the neuro-opthalmologist on Thursday.  I plan to ask him about that.  I  have a lot of muscle weakness from another auotimmune condition, Polymyositis,  so it is hard for me to tell if anything is new.  I have noticed that I am a lot weaker in the evening compared to when I first get up. 

I second the opinion, Rhonda, about seeing a neuro. 

Hugs

Joyce

navydad

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 09:25:33 AM »
Its terrible how many things we get, not knoing if its from SS, or some other disease, especially when our bloodwork comes back normal, then when that happens we get the raised eyebrow,, the look that means, maybe its time you see a shrink, I have decided againt the rituxin,, I have to many infections going on,, and I;m not taking any chances of killing myself with that stuff,,

irish

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 11:39:30 PM »
Joyce, It is possible that the polymyositis is causing the droopy eyelid. I am no expert. However, with these darn autoimmune issues we never know what is causing what. Good thing to mention to your doc. The MG causes swallowing problems also. The thing about MG is that if you lay down and rest or take a nap the weakness will improve. Makes it difficult to do tasks though.

I like to walk but after this happened I have been afraid to do any walking as I would park my car in town and walk away from it and then may not be able to get back. Could always take my cell phone and call hubby to come and pick me up but don't want to make him drive to town. I can always get some place but never know if I can get back. Sort of explains my life the past years. Irish ;D

jstroble

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 08:32:36 AM »
Irish HI

I do have some swallowing problems but I have those with a polymyositis flare too.  Oh the woes of multiple diseases. 

Thank you for replying. 

Joyce

Rhonda

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 08:59:13 PM »
Thanks for all your replies.  Not only is my eye drooping but my ears have a constant buzz in them.  My ears feel full and then I hear a very dull, but constant buzzzzz.  buzzzz, buzzzz.. almost like an alarm clock going off.  I can ignore the buzzing most of the time, but when I lay down at night, it is particularly noticeble to me.

I go for an EMG on Friday, the 12th. 

I am so frustrated and so tired of all this AI stuff.  Seems like everytime I turn around, I have a new symptom.  What a life this is turning out to be.

kellyptyler

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 09:03:53 PM »
Yes, my left eye droops alot. Somedays are worse then other days.