Author Topic: what does pleurisy feel like?  (Read 9142 times)

wangel43

what does pleurisy feel like?
« on: February 06, 2010, 10:01:45 PM »
I'm wondering if that's what I am experiencing. Lately, sometimes when I take a deep breath or even sit a certain way, I get these really sharp jabbing-feeling pains in my chest. Never experienced this before, so I'm wondering if I should get it checked out. It is only occasional and doens't seem TOO terrible, but just wondering how closely perhaps I should monitor it.

-Wendy

warmwaters

• Just keep swimming - Dora
Re: what does pleurisy feel like?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 10:14:34 PM »
I've had pleurisy three times. Pleurisy is an inflammation of the membrane that surrounds your lungs. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/pleurisy/DS00244/DSECTION=symptoms for details.

For me the pain was an achiness in my rib cage, especially in the lower ribs on my sides.  I could feel each breath, and coughing was agony. Sort of a sore pain, like when you twist your ankle. My pleurisy was cleared with antibiotics in all three cases. The actual cause of pleurisy can be different things, so the treatment may vary. From the description I read, sharp pain in the chest is a common symptom, but not how it was for me.
Primary Sjogrens, dx June 2009, Immunoglobulin deficiency, axial spondylosis arthritis, IBS, autonomic neuropathy
Omeprazone DR 40 mg, mobic 15 mg, Plaquenil, LDN, B1, B6, B12, D, fludrocortisone, peridonstigmine, various inhalers

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 01:13:40 AM »
I have had pleurisy more than once, and it is very painful. Whenever I would inhale it was painful sharp pains. Coughing caused excruciating sharp pain. I had to be on antibiotics.

Hope this helps. Take care.

susanep
Sjogren's, Lupus, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, diabetes, asthma, Polycystic ovaries, and Gerd. Meds - Pilocarpine, Synthroid, Effexor, Cpap, aspirin, Prilosec, Neurontin, Xanax, eye Drops, vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Proventil- Retired Teacher/Disabled

Shell

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 10:55:08 AM »
Hi,
I had pleurisy a couple of years ago.  I experienced it as sort of a jabbing pain in my armpit and the top of my chest, below my collar bone, with each breath.  I had to take very shallow breaths or it made it worse.   I wouldn't describe my experience as extremely painful, but definitely very uncomfortable.  Also, ditto to what the others said about coughing--that was misery!  I experienced residual pain/soreness and intermittent jabs (not with every breath as before) in those areas for several months afterwards.  The explanation for the pain from my doc was just that it was left-over from the pleurisy. 
If it's really bothering you, maybe just phone your doc to inform him and see what he says??
Hope you feel better soon,
Shell

Epson

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 01:41:35 PM »
I thought that I had a broken rib, movement, coughing and breathing were painful.

DragonflyC

• Sjogren's Style
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 12:06:42 PM »
I agree with Epson's description of the broken rib feeling.  I've never felt any pain as intense and long lasting as the pain that I got from pleurisy.  For months, it hurt to breathe, walk, move . . . anything. 

The walk-in clinic told me "pleurisy" when I first went in to be looked at, but I went to the emergency room later that night because I was convinced that I'd broken a rib and they'd misdiagnosed me.  Everything I'd read online implied that pleurisy wasn't that big of a deal (I now know that lots of things the internet says are mild can actually turn out to be big problems--thanks, SJS, for teaching me that lesson!).  The ER agreed with the pleurisy diagnosis and gave me tylenol w/ codeine.  It didn't really fix anything, but it let me sleep despite the pain.  I've had pleurisy twice, but I haven't had it in several years at this point. 
SJS, Hashimoto's, Raynaud's
Plaquenil, Evoxac, Restasis, Levoxyl, fish oil supplements, Vitamin D, NSAIDs, prednisone when flaring
Tested positive for SS-A ( > 8 ) and ANA (>1:640)

Visit me at http://sjogrensstyle.com for ideas about living well despite autoimmune disease.

Sheltiemom

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 11:12:50 AM »
Hi, -

Having had pleurisy long ago following pneumonia x 2, presenting as nasty pain in the lower ribs area with every breathtaken but especially when coughing.  I, too, did the shallow breathing thing.  Coughed so hard during the second bout that I cracked cartilage, and that's what made me think the ribs bones were broken.  My doc strapped me, but some won't.  What helped as well was walking or sitting holding a large, soft bed pillow wrapped around the ribs.  (By the way, this also helped after gallbladder surgery.)  For sleeping would wrap it around the rib cage. 

Hope you find out what it is,

Sheltiemom