Author Topic: Pain in ear  (Read 2615 times)

harlin

Pain in ear
« on: February 04, 2010, 09:21:20 AM »
Hey all
Does anyone else have pain under their ear? I have been having this for quite awhile and the drs aren't concerned.
It is mostly sharp pains and sometimes dull pains. Told the GP but she said glands aren't swollen. Oh well. Guess they are use to me complaining.
thanks, harlin

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD
    • Chakra Force
Re: Pain in ear
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 09:35:50 AM »
Could it be from dental pain? I ask because I just got over a similar situation when my tooth stopped hurting. I hope you feel better soon.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, Goldenseal, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

harlin

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 09:41:17 AM »
No Joe I don't think so, I just went to dentist, they did xrays and everything checked out fine. Not sure what is going on. Don't want to go to another dr.

ErinG

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 10:03:39 AM »
The last time I went to the dentist he asked if I had any jaw pain, and I told him about the pain I had under my ear.  He said it was probably TMJ and he showed me an exercise to stretch my jaw.  Using a heating pad also helps.  Staying away from tough, chewy foods and gum has also helped.  I noticed that sometimes I clench my teeth and this also contributes to the pain.  I am looking into getting a night mouthguard to keep me from doing it in my sleep.

ScottishLass

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 10:16:26 AM »
Yes, I was also asked by my dentist if I got jaw pain and I recently had an annoying clicking/sore jaw, but have also had sharp pains just under the ear, but usually with some swelling at the same time...............I don't know I just get confused and constantly surprised with all the different and surprising daily aches, pains and other symptoms and must admit to not going to the docs enough to say about things anymore (feeling that if I were to go with every new symptom or ache and pain that I'd be there each day).........Regularly feel I'm a hypicondriac (and always knew I couldn't spell that ;)...... Don't be like me, if the problem/pain continues, go back to the doc and say this.
Good luck.
 :)

Heather

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 10:26:15 AM »
Hi,
I have exactly the same. My dentist couldn t find anything (made xrays). He thought it were my glands. The ENT doctor looked at my ears and throat and said too it were my glands. Then I went to a oral surgeon but by the time I was there my earaches had gone away?!?!? So he couldn t do anything for me.
The pain is in en under my ear, sometimes a stays for a couple of days and sometimes its just a short sharp pain.
Female, 50, Sjögrens, IBS, Plaquenil, Vidisec carbogel, Sumatriptan, Diazepam, Pariet

Joy Cox

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 10:31:22 AM »
Hi Harlin, Here's my two cents... Google parotid gland and look at illustrations. R one gives me all kinds of symptoms. Even swelling will run along jaw line as if mumps which have been told by every kind of doc at least 100 times, its gland involvement and not to worry. >:( Something to remember Harlin, which was confirmed recently for me, is the parotid gland duct exit at the top back molar teeth.

My jaw joints ache so much of the time and sometimes go into 'popping mode.'  Dentists for yrs and yrs have said I have TMJ though after traveling the confirmed SS road for last 15 yrs. realize it is inflammation probably caused by parotid gland involvement. And, X-ray does show my sinus cavities lie very close to the roots of my teeth.  O-U-C-H!!!!!! >:(

Went back and read your post again. Have wandered from your question. Yours is shooting pains; right? Do sour things 'sorta' lock your jaws? If so, probably connective tissue issues. The last thing you want to hear... it might be nerve related such as neuropathy gift.

Just a guess...when studied illustrations of facial nerves realized some of my 'shooting' pain might be nerve related as I have peripheral neuropathy issues beginning. First PN showed up in big toes.  BUT, then shortly thereafter end of tongue became numb...

Harlin, can you imagine saying this stuff I've written for you to the 'people on the outside'????????  Crazy, isn't it  ::)Trust, you find some worth in this maze of words.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 10:35:53 AM by Joy Cox »

ohiolady

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 10:38:56 AM »
Yes,  I've had pain in and around my ear since contracting Sjogrens.  When I have parotid pain, it is different.  I use heat and take Aleve and that will normally calm it down.  I've asked a couple of my doctors and they said it was my jaw and I do have a clicking jaw.  I think it has something to do with Sjogrens.

Anna
SJS  Hashimoto's   Mild Raynauds  GERD  Gastroparesis
Restasis, Evoxac, Dexilant,  Domperidone, Zofran and Synthroid. Fish Oil, Vit D and B12  R lipoic acid,  Acetyl L Cartnine, Vitamin B1, and The Perfect Food Green and Fruit supplement

Kidney Cancer Survivor   
Female   Age: 59

inga

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 10:41:50 AM »
Ditto.  I have a mouth splint, but lately, if I wear it, I get vertigo the next morning.  I think I need to start all over and wear it for a few hours per day until I get my tolerance up.

yankeeinthesouth

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 11:16:24 AM »
My ears hurt all the time some days worse than others. I have been to 4 ENT's that can't find anything wrong and they look at me like i am crazy. Maybe I am crazy but I am still in pain!!!!
anyway I just put heat on it and pop my ears and it makes it a little better
it has become something that can't be explained and I just have to live with. If you have gone to the dr and they ruled out an ear infection?
Hope you find something to make it feel better.

ErinG

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 11:59:43 AM »
I agree that parotid pain is different.  I haven't had it in a while, but for it is always accompanied by swelling under my ear.  I suppose alternating cold packs and heating pads could provide relief for both types of pain.

To be on the safe side, have you had a doctor look in your ear?  If you have fluid buildup or swelling inside your ear it could be an infection.

harlin

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 12:32:03 PM »
hey all
Drs have all looked in my ears and said clear. I have had this off and on since about November. Mostly in right ear.There is a round knot right under my ear and that seems to be where most of the pain is radiating down into my gland. I know I know I am crazy. at least the doctors look at me sometimes like I am. Gp said "Well you are just a mess"
they just called my vitamin B12 test was normal. So only thing out of wack is WBC and MPV levels are both low.
See Rheumy on Tuesday. We'll see.
Thanks for responses, at least someone else has the same thing.
hugs harlin

navydad

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2010, 12:33:01 PM »
(Sp),, eustachian tube dysfunction,, I have to pop my ears hundreds of times a day,,, its from teh thick slime we call saliva, or the thick mucos,, it gets down where teh tube empties into the throat and gets clogged up,,, one trick I do is keep your mouth shut,, pinch your nose shut and swallow,, most of the time it opens up my ears, made the mistake of eating salted peanuts last night,, my tongue was covered in slime,, it burnt,, it was just miserable, saw teh ENT on Tuesday,, he checked my sinuses,, checked my ears and saw no infection,, asked if I wanted a antibiotic,, told him nmo,, I;m done taking that stuff

navydad

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2010, 12:34:16 PM »
hey all
Drs have all looked in my ears and said clear. I have had this off and on since about November. Mostly in right ear.There is a round knot right under my ear and that seems to be where most of the pain is radiating down into my gland. I know I know I am crazy. at least the doctors look at me sometimes like I am. Gp said "Well you are just a mess"
they just called my vitamin B12 test was normal. So only thing out of wack is WBC and MPV levels are both low.
See Rheumy on Tuesday. We'll see.
Thanks for responses, at least someone else has the same thing.
hugs harlin
Swollen lymph node?

Epson

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2010, 02:14:24 PM »
Put me in for ear pain and I'm sure that it's due to parotid gland, but doctors say know and I say there full of B.S.  It hurts right where the gland is, what else could it be?  Before I was dx with SS the parotid area hurt, but I thought nothing of it, later that day I felt something strange in the back corner of my mouth, a broken tooth?  No a strange lump of what look like like calcium, I think it was a stone, but at that time I didn't know you could in a stone in a saliva glad, in a few days it felt better.