Author Topic: Smear test - ouch (off topic)  (Read 4670 times)

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
Smear test - ouch (off topic)
« on: January 29, 2010, 06:26:22 AM »
Hi

I had to go for a routine cervical smear test today. I hate them with a passion. Recently I've been having trouble with my vagina anyway, probably due to dryness.

Initially the nurse couldn't locate my cervix. She had to use a bigger speculum. aaaargh.

She eventually found it but said it was really hard to get at. Apparently my insides have 'slipped' somewhat due to age.

I told her I was going to hurt for the rest of the day and I am.  I also have blood spotting which I wasn't expecting.  >:(

Thank goodness it'll be 5 years till the next one!

Take care - Scottie
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

Claire the Red

Re: Smear test - ouch (off topic)
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 07:39:56 AM »
Sorry Scottie, I hope the "ouch" goes away soon! I hate these too. Last time I had the same problem with the pain and the spotting. Maybe our insides are a bit more fragile than most due to the dryness.

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 08:32:37 AM »
Scottie - those appointments aren't on my top ten favorite list either!!  Not fun!!  I hope the pain goes away quickly for you.  It took several hours later for the pain to go away the last time I had my test.

I can only imagine what words of advice Epson has for you!!   :o   ::)  (Love ya Epson!!   :-*)

Hang in there Scottie . . . this too will pass.

Hugs,
Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Epson

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 09:05:07 AM »
I,m not even going to touch this one, I mean the topic!

peachpop

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 09:25:10 AM »
Awww, Scottie, my hear breaks for you as I get physically sick at the very thought of gynegolocial visits!!!  But look at the bright side, 5 years prodding and poking free!!!!!!!!!

wen.uk

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 01:37:35 PM »
OOOOOH Scottie, hope you are feeling a little less sensitive now - not the best!
I had a hysterectomy when I was 29 so it is some years since I had the playground furtled with so to say!!! Ouch I remember it well.
Wen x

Katybarstool

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 02:09:24 PM »
I'm seeing a gyny at the moment, so have been having undignified examinations. However, as I don't have a cervix any longer, I don't need the smears. I'm thankful for small mercies ;)

Kathyx

lynnmarie219

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 05:41:34 PM »
Ohhh Scottie...I know what you mean....I hope you are feeling a bit better tomorrow. Next time tell them to use the whole tube of K-Y or whatever lubricant they use if they have to and if it will help you for crying out loud!

Feel better....

Bernice

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 06:19:11 PM »
Lynnmarie, that dancer cracks me up!

Scottie, All I can think to say is, I'm thankful I don't have to go through this often anymore.

Patze

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010, 06:26:35 PM »
I'm sorry that you're a bit tender Scottie, but I'm sure glad that you don't have to have that test done again for five more years!

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

louisa

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2010, 07:28:16 PM »
Hi Scottie
Sorry you have had an sore time. I am sure that the dryness is a culprit, such delicate vascular tissue down there.
What i always like is when they have your legs trussed up in those stirrups, a large metal object going where large metal objects should not go, and they say " just relax"!
Hope you soon feel better, sometimes relaxing in a warm bath with some bicarb does the trick.
Lou x

SassieCat

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2010, 09:08:21 PM »
Scottie,

I can feel your pain too.  I am so sorry to hear and hope you'll recoup soon.  I had to see a urologist and they couldn't get the cath in me, same reason.  It was an awkward feeling lying there and him having to have his assistant help to get it in.  However he did remark how dry and irritated the area was (like I didn't know) and he prescribed an estrogen cream called Estrace and told me not to use the applicator but to put a small amount on my finger and rub the dry area.  Amount that you would use on toothbrush.   

I has helped me enormously.  I too had hysteromectomy 10 years ago, but now the play pen is back in action again.  Ya know what I mean?  ;D

My next check I am going to ask gyno to write another script for me.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2010, 10:12:31 PM »
Just a little sidenote regarding our beloved "smears".. I had my hysterectomy done in 1990 and was "gutted" as I call it. I am officially an "it".........ANyway, I have been told that since I don't have a cervix I do need to be seen and have smears of the vaginal wall done as cancer can start there also. Not all that common but can happen. I have had it done a few times. Don't get in every 3 years as told but at least every 4-5 years. Another doc visit I know. WE all have no money but we sure as heck know where it went!!!!Irish ;D

lynnmarie219

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2010, 07:34:37 AM »
Same for me Irish...nothing left (never thought of myself as an "it" though...lol)...took it t all including cervix..but am still to go for tests of the vaginal wall every so many years. Lately I have been in there for a few rounds due to ongoing yeast infections....and my doc said..."I bet you though you were done with so many of these type of exams"...yeah right!