Author Topic: Sticky mucus  (Read 6281 times)

Heather

Sticky mucus
« on: January 28, 2010, 07:40:57 AM »
Hi everyone,
For some time I have problems with sticky mucus. When I wake up in the morning it s stuck in the back of my throat. I get it barely scraped away. Lately I have it also during the day. I try to scrape it away or swallow it but that generally not succeeds. And also it does not sound as pleasant.... ::) I don't have a cold and I don't have to cough so that is not the problem.
Does anyone here suffer from this too and know what you can do against it?
Bye
Female, 50, Sjögrens, IBS, Plaquenil, Vidisec carbogel, Sumatriptan, Diazepam, Pariet

DragonflyC

• Sjogren's Style
Re: Sticky mucus
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 09:52:37 AM »
I developed allergies along with my other autoimmune conditions.  Maybe you did, too?  Allergies are an immune response to things that are not actually harmful, similar to how our immune systems attack healthy tissue in our bodies when we have an AI disease.  You can develop them at any time.

As for treatment, lots of SJS people have trouble w/ allergy meds drying them out too much.  I found that to be true w/ the prescription kind, but I do really well on the over-the-counter CVS version of Claritin.  It doesn't totally control the problem, but it helps a lot.
SJS, Hashimoto's, Raynaud's
Plaquenil, Evoxac, Restasis, Levoxyl, fish oil supplements, Vitamin D, NSAIDs, prednisone when flaring
Tested positive for SS-A ( > 8 ) and ANA (>1:640)

Visit me at http://sjogrensstyle.com for ideas about living well despite autoimmune disease.

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 10:11:28 AM »
Hi Heather  :)

A while ago I was having a really bad time with thick, gloopy mucous and an awful taste at the back of my mouth when I woke up in the morning.  My GP dxd me with post nasal drip andprescribed Nasonex - a spray I use at night. It helps. I drink quite a lot of ginger and lemon tea/infusion (both) and that helps to stimulate saliva. If you have thick mucous you should steer clear of dairy as much as possible. Singers never drink milk or eat chocolate before they sing because it can make their vocal chords gloopy. They do sometimes use a lemon juice spray though.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

ErinG

• erbegu's journal
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 03:11:45 PM »
Hi Heather,
I have this too and I think mine is caused by post-nasal drip.  It is at its worst in the morning when I get up, it feels like there is a hardened block in the back of my throat.  I find it easiest to get it out when I'm in the shower, the steam helps to loosen it.  I remember having a nasal spray prescribed for it when I was a kid, but I stopped using it because it felt awful (I think I was about 12 at the time). 

My mom was recently prescribed Nasonex for allergies (her symptoms were year-round runny nose and post-nasal drip) and it seems to be helping her.  Maybe you can ask your doctor if it sounds like allergies, maybe it could be of help to you.

- Erin
Female, Age 32 - full-time accountant
Diagnoses: Primary Sjogren's, Raynaud's, Distal RTA, Stage 3 Chronic Kidney Disease, Interstitial Nephritis
Meds:  Plaquenil, Cellcept, Urocit-K, hydrochlorothiazide, potassium chloride, Restasis

navydad

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 06:34:06 PM »
I;m plagued by that white sticky goo 24/7,, its disgusting,, after eating I can feel that nasty white slime all through my mouth,, yes mornings are teh worst with some nights tossed in,, some nights AI jsut cough all night from the stuff,, Have had 5 sinus surgerys,, first one was done by the most inept ENT alive,, swear he used a dull rock to operate with,, last 4 were revision surgerys by a much better ENT,,, but so much of my nasal passages are gone,, that he has told me its something I have to live with,,

Heather

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 06:47:45 AM »
Hi everybody,
Thank you for the replies.
Tommorrow I will make an appointment with my GP
Bye
Female, 50, Sjögrens, IBS, Plaquenil, Vidisec carbogel, Sumatriptan, Diazepam, Pariet

harlin

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 11:04:39 AM »
Heather
I too have that sticky mucus in my throat. Some times it blocks my airway and I cannot take a breath. I am constantly clearing my throat and it is very anoying to everyone around me. When I was working it happened every morning. Since I have been home not as much. Had some in church this morning. I think it is worse when I talk to much. When I am home no one to talk to.
GI said it probably goes along with sjogrens.

harlin
Female 56
RA, Sjogrens, Fibromyalgia, Reynolds, Osteoarthritis
IBS, Gerd, Restless leg syndrome
Plaquinel, Methotrexate, Horizant, Folic Acid, Savella, Nexium, Vitamin D, Flexiril, Actenel, Rastasis, Gentel,

Patze

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 12:19:23 PM »
TMI a head!  Same here, sometimes it gets so thick that when I blow my nose (no allergies other than to glycerin), it's so thick that I have to "pull" it out of the nose (so gross).  It sometimes globs to the throat, but it usually stays in the sinus area creating more sinus problems, ugh.

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

irish

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2010, 10:57:50 PM »
Did you say thick mucus!!! Is there any other kind???

My ENT says that Guaifenisen (plain Robitussin liquid or generic brand) that you can buy in liquid or tablet form works good. It comes in 400 mgm tablets but is hard to find some times. He says that there is a protein in this product that helps to thin the mucus. Also need to drink fluid. I also find that if I suck on a lemon drop when I get like this I can conjure up a little more mucus that helps move things along.

There is no magic bullet, but if you irrigate your nasal passages in the morning before you leave for the day you will feel much better. I carry the OTC saline nasal rinse for those emergency times. Ocean makes a brand product and there are other brands plus generic. I don't like to use these products though as they have preservatives in them that really irritate my throat but sometimes one has not choice.

Also, I have found that when I get so full of mucus if I eat a few M&M's it helps bind up the mucus and I can spit it out much easier. Yes, spitting is a big part of the game. My husband always says he could find me in a dark room full of strangers. Irish ;D

ErinG

• erbegu's journal
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 12:22:20 AM »
Guaifenesin is the active ingredient in Mucinex, too.  The maximum strength 12-hr variety has 1200mg  per tablet.  You can usually find a generic/store brand of it at most chains, but you have to pay close attention to how much of the drug in each tablet, because sometimes they differ.

I recently had a cold with a lot of nasal congestion, and I remembered last time I had this my doctor recommended Mucinex D with the decongestant (pseudoephedrine, so you have to get it at the pharmacy counter).  It worked pretty well, although it can be pricey.
Female, Age 32 - full-time accountant
Diagnoses: Primary Sjogren's, Raynaud's, Distal RTA, Stage 3 Chronic Kidney Disease, Interstitial Nephritis
Meds:  Plaquenil, Cellcept, Urocit-K, hydrochlorothiazide, potassium chloride, Restasis

Billydude

• Primary Sjogrens with CNS involvement use Cellcept
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, 12:26:00 AM »
Oh yes yes yes and yes.   That was one of my earliest most troublesome symptoms.

Joy Cox

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2010, 07:21:35 AM »
Wordy but hopefully worth reading for those with mucus issues.....  :P

Sorry I'm late getting in on this thread. Have been 'under the weather'!!!! :(

Inquired of John Hopkins Optomology that diagnosed my SS, why I could cry tears and not make tears at any other time. Dr. remarked brain kicked adrenal hormone in thus allowing me to shed tears.

Second thing, he elaborated about was that the brain was smart enough to know the body did not have enough moisture so it secreted a thick mucus. And, in time I'd become accustomed to this sticky mucus. His time did not allow anymore 'coaching.'

Shortly thereafter was transferred to Duke Med Ctr. in NC.  The Rheumy that I was assigned to was head of the dept. Have spent 13+ yrs. with him. During a visit I inquired how I might control the thick mucus? His answer, have you tried Guaifenesin? Asked if by prescription...he said doc. can prescribe but I declined.  Coming home and checking with my good friend pharmacist of many years, he said... you can purchased that in 200 mg. form x 100 for $5.  That was 10 yrs. ago, now I pay $14.

Since mid Dec. have been in flare. First round of antibiotic did not get infection. My problem; got into Christmas and New Yr. holidays and doc. office closed. so..............   Went back last Monday and bronchitis was diagnosis with wheezing. Never had any asthma in my life. Given cortisteriod inhaler and 15 day supply of Biaxin (brand name) and told to take the guaifensin up to 1200 mg a day.

Have coughed up cups of mucus..........all colors...yellow, green, dark brown, frothy gray. Feel some of it is coming from the lungs and by dark brown color must have been there for some time. Cough up and blow out nose all colors after using Netti bottle to cleanse.

Tiredness this round is so dehabilitating. Have not been sick like this in 4-5 yrs. At that time ended up on O2 for couple of years. I was so exhausted I just went to bed and stayed.   BIG MISTAKE...Need to sit up some and at least walk through house and keep the mucus on the move.

Now have an oximeter to read Oxygen levels. Feel very positive that if I continue to be on schedule with meds and keep room humidifier running 24.7 and irrigate head 2 times a day, eat at least three small meals a day w/lots of fresh fruits and veggies, I WILL WIN THIS BATTLE.........AND NOT END UP ON OXYGEN LIKE LAST TIME!!!! I'M GIVIN' IT MY BEST  ;D

irish

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2010, 11:23:25 AM »
Joy, There are 2 kinds of tears that are produced and one of them is more for lubricating the eye. Can't believe your doc didn't tell you that unless he is using a very short explaination.

Also, with all the mucus that you are coughing up it might be wise to at least call the doc and let him know what is going on. Many times the 10 or 14 days of medication is not enough to kill off all the infection. Brown mucus or black mucus is usually a sign of some bleeding in the area. The lungs can harbor more darn bacteria and often times there is a need to treat both aerobic and anerobic bacteria in some areas of infection. The anerobic is bacteria that grows with out the presence of oxygen. Sounds dumb in the lungs, but if the bacteria get in a very swollen infected area where oxygen is not reaching these bugs can grow.

I guess as long as you are doing all you can to get this infection under control it might be wise to check with the doctor. If you are still having some infectioin problems would also be wise to ask about a culture and sensitivity of your sputum so that the antibiotic is really fine tuned for this infection. Lung infections can just be a bummer that is for sure. Good luck. Irish ;D

Bernice

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2010, 01:43:49 PM »
Same here!

I've found the key to this is to use decongestants ONLY!, some doctors will try to give you stuff that dries you like antihistamines, they dry you out, plus make the mucus thicker and harder to cough or blow out! Then some try both together. I don't like this either, all I want is a decongestant, after all I am congested!

I like sudafed non drowsy pills / Robitussin liquid or generic brand (Tussin) works wonders, it will break that stuff down!

collins@matc.edu

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2010, 05:50:40 PM »
Hello,
(I am E-Pal 2008-143)

Bronchitis... I suffer from severe Bronchitis several times a year at least each fall and spring.  I am just getting over a 5 week bout now.... This is after just recovering from another extended bout that lasted from before Thanksgiving to Christmastime (count the days in between... not many!)

I believe that Sjogren's causes the phlem in my lungs to solidify and stick in my lungs.  I call it the concrete in my lungs, which is exactly what it feels like.  I have tried every way to get it to come out and it just won't.  My rhumatologist says that this is not the case, that Sjogren's only effects the eyes and mouth... right!  Obviously not many physicians are familiar whatsoever with Sjogren's, even rhumatologists.  The bronchitis I get with my Sjogren's is horrible and really very frightening.  I can't breathe or sleep and my lungs hurt.  When I see a doctor, they think I have a cold or virus.  They always tell me that my lungs are clear... I think this is because the phlem is so solid in there that it doesn't move so they can't hear it.  It is also very frightening when they always tell me my lungs are clear and they are NOT.  I can't say anything because they just don't get it.

To treat the bronchitis I use a steroidal inhaler daily, a rescue inhaler, medicinal breathing treatments with a nebulizer I now own and have at home, Mucinex X-tra strength, and anything and everything else I can get my hands on.

I try to forego the Z-Pacs but it usually comes down to this.  One reason I try to wait on this is that sometimes it doesn't help.  I think the bronchitis starts from a virus or allergies, and then over time becomes infected.  If you use the antibiotics too early, the infection isn't there yet to have any effect.

Just last night I gave in and started my Z-Pac for my current bout of 5 weeks.  The bronchitis has been trailing on and just lagging, getting better and worse.  It is obvious not there is infection and I'm going to need this in order to kick it.

Keep the tips for this coming... we need all the help we can get.

Katherine