Author Topic: Excessive urine output?  (Read 5784 times)

Katybarstool

Excessive urine output?
« on: January 24, 2010, 04:05:11 AM »
Hi

I've been measuring urine input and output for the last three day, prior to urodynamics tomorrow. The results are very strange - every day, my output has been a lot more than my input. How can this be? I have been as careful as possible with the measurements.

Any answers greatly appreciated.

Kathyx

Linda196

• Administrator
Re: Excessive urine output?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 06:09:58 AM »
Normal urine output for an adult is about 1.5-2 L/day, and intake of fluids should be about 2 L. If you're urinary output is greater than 2 L, please mention it to the doctor when you go for the urodynamics, and ask about tests for osmolarity or osmolality ( checks for how well the kidneys concentrate the wastes in the urine).

If, like many of us, you are one of the "non-sweaters" the urine output may be increased to balance the absence of that form of fluid loss, but it still shouldn't exceed intake. "Insensible losses" include perspiration, respiratory secretions, fluid in stool, and whatever other "moisture" is excreted, and are usually around 800 ml/day (0.8 L). Since SjS bodies don't have the same pathways of insensible loss, that may account for a small amount of urinary increase (that isn't an established medical theory, just something my doctor and I have discussed)

Sometimes when measuring intake, only actual "drinks" are measured, and there can be significant fluid intake from food as well...in hospital foods like puddings, soups, hot cereals and gelled desserts are partially included in fluid intake.

By all means bring this up to the urologist, although that may only mean a referral to a nephrologist...it is something that should be looked into.
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Katybarstool

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 09:03:10 AM »
Linda

Thank you for that. On day one my input was around 3170 mls and output 3310, day 2 input 3410, output 4290, day 3,  input 2190 output 2420. I know I drink a lot - I always feel thirsty, probably due to the dry mouth and throat. The first two days were at work, where I have to drink a lot, otherwise, I wouldnt be able to talk to people. I also suck sweets, and use biotene gel.  My brain fog has not been bad just recently, so I can't see that I have made so many mistakes.

Do you think some of the moisturisers I use could be playing a part - and the oestrogel? I do eat yoghurt and a rasonable amount of fruit and veg.

Kathyx

lynnmarie219

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 09:10:02 AM »
Hi Kathy,

Just wanted to wish you some good luck at your appt. tomorrow! I hope you get some answers!
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

"If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane"   Jimmy Buffett

olmphoto2

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 09:37:45 AM »
Foods of all types contain significant amount of water.  First, one might  think of fruits and vegetables of course.  But really, most things we eat contain water, often in moderate to large amounts.  Think of a pasta dinner for instance.  There is a great deal of H2O in the prepared pasta and the sauce.  Even the bread has moisture---think of what a piece of bread looks like after it is dried.  Consider what any dehyrated food looks like....that's the result of the water being removed.
Mary Ann in Wisconsin

"A man will be imprisoned in a room with a door that is unlocked and opens inwards as long as it does not occur to him to pull rather than push." 
          Ludwig Wittgenstein

Chickpea

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 12:30:43 PM »
Hi Kathy

I'll be thinking about you tomorrow.  Let us know how it goes.

Chickpea xxx

Dolly Dimples

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 12:34:42 PM »
 Hi Kathy, I too can pee for Britain.
                                                 Never thought to measure how much tho'

I spend a lot of time in the Bathroom and can't go anywhere unless I find a loo straight away.

Like you I do drink lots (not Alco tho) so I suppose that contributes,

Ive also had a couple of water infections in the past couple of years!

I'm sick as a chip right now,  and have also had such a sore boob this weekend, I have had soreness there for many years too, but is a while since my last mammogram,and this seems different pain, so if It don't shift I'll be off  to Docs again soon.
                                                       Wish you well and lots luck.
                                                                                  please let us know what the outcome is tomorrow,                          
                                                                                                                             luv Dolly

Epson

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 12:41:22 PM »
Good luck with measuring your urine input, never heard of that one before :P

Dolly Dimples

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 01:15:27 PM »
  Epson, I ain't even gonna go there.

Ive got quite enough on my plate right now!
                                                                    Dolly

Katybarstool

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2010, 02:24:50 PM »
Thanks everybody. I'll let you kbow how it goes.

Dolly, yes, sounds like that boob needs looking at.

Kathyx

irish

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2010, 11:25:04 PM »
Kathy, Another thing that you may want to have checked is your glycosated hemoglobin which measures what your blood sugar level has been for the last 3 months. Sounds goofy, but it is reliable and helps in treating diabetes who refuse to be compliant in checking blood sugars.

I was just diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and for a few days I was "peeing like a race horse". Turns out that I had some high blood sugars because I also had some infections. Infections will pretty much always make blood sugars higher. After the blood sugars went down my urinary output decreased. Thank goodness. Hope things turn out ok Irish ;D

Katybarstool

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2010, 02:57:52 PM »
Irish

Thank you. The rheumy ordered a blood test for glucose a couple of weeks ago. I haven't got the results yet, but will chase up, probably after holiday, as any more diagnosis will affect my travel insurance.

The urodynamics went really well today. The consultant did the tests, and she was lovely - we were chatting like old friends, which was good, as I was in a pretty undignified position for a while. The outcome is, she has added me to her surgery list to have the cystole repaired and possibly some kind of sling - will get her to clarify that when I see her next week. That's when she is going to try to insert a pessary to hold things up. Oh, and she siad I need the bowel surgery before she can do the cystocele. That's ok, as it's going to happen in March.

The urine input/output weren't really considered today. She was just happy to see that I can hold a reasonable amount. Again, I will speak to her next week. I was taken off my guard today, as I'd not expected her to do the tests - I thought it would be a ury nurse or similar.

By the way, she said it's a well known fact that ladies with connective tissue disorders are high risk for pelvic prolapse - I'll make sure I pass that fact the the rheumy, who said it was just 'bad luck'.

Anyway, I'm feeling relieved that that is over.

Kathyx