Author Topic: Blood test says Sjogren's but no dry eyes??  (Read 1884 times)

Galvagirl

Blood test says Sjogren's but no dry eyes??
« on: January 14, 2010, 06:02:04 PM »
Hi All,
I found myself at the doctor for a very sore back. He did some blood work and I my ANA was abnormal. He sent me to a rheumatologist, who did more blood work. This showed that my ANA was at the very low end of abnormal, but another test suggested Sjogren's. This is strange, because I have no dry eye or mouth symptoms. Can anyone explain this?
Thanks for any info!

DragonflyC

• Sjogren's Style
Re: Blood test says Sjogren's but no dry eyes??
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 06:19:57 PM »
It's possible to test positive for SJS and not ever develop symptoms.  I have a friend who is positive for SS-A and ANA, but she only has mild rheumatoid arthritis in one finger and not SJS. 

It is a ride-along disease, so you might want to ask for more testing for other AI diseases.  A low ANA and positive SS-A or SS-B (do you know whether it's one or both?) don't necessarily mean Sjogren's; in fact, they don't necessarily mean anything.

Do you have dry mouth?  Dry skin?  Fatigue?  Aches and pains in your joints?  If so, it might be SJS.  If not, then something else might be causing your back pain.  Then again, SJS is a super weird illness and manifests in all kinds of crazy ways. 

Are you scheduled for a follow-up appointment to discuss the test results?  If not, can you make an appointment to talk to your doc?  That's probably the best way to figure out what's going on. 

Best wishes!
SJS, Hashimoto's, Raynaud's
Plaquenil, Evoxac, Restasis, Levoxyl, fish oil supplements, Vitamin D, NSAIDs, prednisone when flaring
Tested positive for SS-A ( > 8 ) and ANA (>1:640)

Visit me at http://sjogrensstyle.com for ideas about living well despite autoimmune disease.

Galvagirl

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 06:36:50 PM »
The doctor says she wants me to come back in 3 months and redo the blood tests to see if there are any changes. I have always had problems with pain, fibromyalgic type stuff, fatigue, etc. The only thing to do at this point is to manage the symptoms. I took a 6 day course of steriods and I felt like a new person, 10 years younger. Now I am just taking an anti-inflammatory with a little relief. Thanks for your reply!

len

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 06:42:35 PM »
I was diagnosed with Sjogren's about 5 years ago when I was having severe joint pain. I did not start having  dry eyes and mouth till about 2 years ago, when both started at the same time. My joint pain is under control with cortisone shots. My eyes are my biggest problem now.

len

lynnmarie219

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 08:24:35 PM »
It is very possible to have sjogrens and not have all of the obvious symptoms. It's also possible to have some of the symptoms or to have them in a very mild form and then they can change on you as well just when you get it all figured out! My first symptoms were achy joints, tendinitis, etc......the dry eyes and mouth came later and with drops and meds.....they have gotten better and sometimes worse over the years depending on times of the year, allergies, weather, fatigue, etc, etc, etc....you get the idea!

There is no rhyme or reason to Sjogrens....treating the symptoms as they occur is all we can do! And yes...some people really don't ever get any major symptoms....it does happen...and I hope you are one of them!  :)
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

"If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane"   Jimmy Buffett

irish

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 12:12:24 AM »
I had sjogrens at least 40 years before I got the dry eyes. I had the aching joints and fatique and the bad teeth from the dry mouth with no positive blood work. I also had the cental nervous system issues early on also.  My eyes got dry a few years ago and I started within months on the Restasis with good results. I need my eyes cause I am deaf in one ear. Irish ;D

Patze

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 04:40:10 AM »
Hi Galvagirl,

Let me also welcome you to the SJS World and family.  Please do peruse the board as there are tons of topics that you just might find interesting.  And let's not even mention the gaggles of wonderful members here!  :D

I'm glad to see that your doctors are on the ball!  You are very fortunate! 

Now you've asked about not having the dry eyes and mouth, and I've noticed that SJS doesn't seem to play very fair.  My first symptoms were the muscle pain, dental problems (my mouth is getting dryer, but I've had a lot of very odd cavities (under the gums, and teeth breaking)), and the very dry eyes.  As the years pass, I'm now developing joint pain, and my skin is getting a lot dryer, but I'm still sero negative, go figure (I drive the rheumy nutty with all of this  ;)).  ::)

Take care -

Patze
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 04:44:28 AM by Patze »
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

Blue Kat

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 07:47:57 PM »
Galvagirl, my SjS affects my joints and muscles and causes bad fatigue but I have minimal dry eyes and mouth.  From reading these forums, I'm learning that the disease affects us all a bit differently.