Author Topic: lymph nodes and toothache?  (Read 15040 times)

Schoolmarm Oma

lymph nodes and toothache?
« on: January 14, 2010, 03:50:59 PM »
I have a question--- has anyone had a problem with swollen lymph nodes causing a toothache? I have had a severe toothache (sensitivity to hot and cold, and painful to bite) for about 6 months and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the tooth. I have had a CT scan that showed "reactive" lymph nodes that are really sore and swollen. Nobody can seem to tell me that the two are connected, but I think they must be. Anybody have the same problem or any answers?
Thanks!

Julzi74

Re: lymph nodes and toothache?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 03:55:54 PM »
i have always had sensative teeth so i use sensodyne or colgate for sensative teeth--my lymph nodes are only swollen some times like when i am sick or are starting to get sick

irish

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 12:07:18 AM »
I don't know for sure about this, but I do know that I had teeth that ached and gave me fits. I told the dentists that they needed to be pulled. X-rays were always ok and they refused to pull them. I finally got a new dentist who would pull one at a time and see how things went. The teeth that were pulled may not have showed anything on x-ray but they were always "dead" in a weird way. Dentist was always surprised. I would just say that they all felt sick and like they needed to go.

Also, the lymph nodes could be reacting to this tooth because of the fact that with sjogrens the lymph nodes are already primed and very sensitive to any inflammation or infection. You may have to get that tooth pulled to settle things down. There has to be something a little "off" about the tooth if that is, indeed, what is causing pain and swelling in the nodes. Good luck. Irish ;D

Schoolmarm Oma

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 07:08:04 AM »
I had a crown put on the tooth about a year ago, and instead of eliminating the pain, it has only increased. The lymph nodes are sore and swollen on both sides of my jaws and are causing pain in my whole mouth-- just more increased pain in this one crowned tooth. Frustrating!

Joy Cox

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 04:59:38 PM »
Hi Oma, My teeth are sensitive and have always been. Are yours? Is this an upper or lower tooth,in back? Did it have a filling before crown? Has this crowned tooth had a root canal done on it? Just wonder how much you have gone through to this point. Sorry to ask some many ????. Just hoping we can possibly help each other.  Teeth and mouth issues are a pain in the butt!

Sounds very familiar... though have been having different issues with mine, third from back, for several years. Really, feel it contributes to my lymph gland and parotid gland pain. Got up this morning looking like a chipmunk.   ::)

Looking forward to hearing from you.  Joy

kim31072

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 05:20:16 PM »
If the nodes around the face and jaw are swollen they could be pressing on nerves in the face and if there is any issue going on with the tooth or nerve could be ramping it up and causing the pain.I ended up getting my root canal(waiting for crown)tooth pulled cause after all the drama it cracked and wouldnt hold the crown..even after the canal it hurt...alll the time which I was like HOW if it has not got a nerve?the dentist was at a loss..but after I had it pulled the pain was gone.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/14338-where-are-the-lymph-nodes-located/

article says there are 300 in the neck and cervical region so perhaps something is pressing on teeth or facial nerves  ???

http://www.innerbody.com/image/lympov.html  this one shows where they are all located

Schoolmarm Oma

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 08:35:23 AM »
I've fought my salivary glands for years, and have had 3 removed due to blockages. Then my lower molars started giving me trouble, and two were cracked and eventually crowned. I haven't had a root canal, they were just crowned because of cracking. I thought the crowns would stop the pain, but this is a never-ending nightmare! My dentist insists there is no dental problem, and my doctors have confirmed "reactive" lymph nodes. I just can't get over the feeling that there is a connection!

Joy Cox

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 08:56:42 AM »
Hi again, Oma...it's Joy. Awoke this day at 4 a.m. with headache at base of skull. Feel like it is Fibromylsia and SS gland related. Do you have Fibro? It's the R top and bottom worse right now.

Several years ago, I complained weekly until dentist and my ENT doctor talked with each other. Both agreed that my sinuses are right on top the roots of my teeth and this is why I have an aching sensation much of the time. Do you think this might be some of your issue?  So much of this 'stuff' overlaps, it is often the case that one just treats the symptoms.

Find myself dense otherwise, too! Maybe something I said here will help... sure hope so for your benefit!!!!!! ;D   

kwolfsheimer

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010, 11:50:31 AM »
I've had a similar incident. My right salivary gland was swollen up like a walnut (before I was diagnosed with SJS). They did a CT scan and diagnosed the same thing--reactive lymph nodes.  Only instead of a toothache, I had really bad ear pain.  I am sure that it is pressing on something or the pressure is causing translated pain in that part of the face.  Of course, antibiotics are going to do NADDA, so try putting hot compresses on your gland and massaging it. I wouldn't pull the tooth unless the dentist says that's it because it may not help. Just my advice. Best of luck to you!!! It is a miserable feeling--- also, feel assured that you are not crazy or just whining.  This made my life miserable for a good year. Now that I am learning more about SJS, I spoke with this with my ENT. Since my diagnosis, things are starting to come together.  Not that information has changed my predicament. Maybe see an ENT before you do anything!

Julzi74

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2010, 09:02:31 PM »
To kwolfsheimer when you say ear pain do mean just an ear ache or did you ear canal swell up a bit?  My right one seems to be swelling quite a bit lately with no obvious reason, no infection, no pain just swelling of the canal with some itching-i am able to relieve it with putting a dab of hydrocortisone on a qtip and rubbing it in the canal but after reading this I was wondering if it isn't a tooth issue as well!

Schoolmarm Oma

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 05:18:43 AM »
I also have ear pain and was sure at one point that I had an ear infection. No ear infection, no obvious of tooth trouble, went to an ENT who didn't find anything either--- all sent me back to the Rheumatologist who only found swollen lymph nodes! In the meantime, I still can't chew or drink cold water!!! ARGH.

Julzi74

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 08:26:35 AM »
Have you tried any sensodyn or other type toothpaste for sensative teeth-it helps with the hot and cold issues-as for pain try anbusol i also heard you can take an asprin and put it right on the tooth and it stops the pain.  I haven't tried it as the taste of asprin is icky.

Pisces24

• Hashimotos, Reynards, SJS 03/09; Lymphoma 4/12
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2010, 10:49:57 AM »
Due to SJS, among other things I get sinus infections very easily. I've had my partroid gland swell so it looks like a tennis ball under my ear.  The it backs up in my teeth and ears.
Whenever I get and feel I am getting a sinus infection, I feel it in my teeth first and during. My gums get achey and I am more sensitive to hot and cold foods. I would also recommend Sensodyne or one of the toothpastes for sensitive teeth. I know most brands make one so read the labels on the active ingredients as some are better than others.   Also as you get older your gums recede so you have more "dentin" exposed that also makes you teeth more sensitive to hot & cold.
Chewing a sugarless gum weekly might help with the ear pain - keeping the "joint" loose.

kwolfsheimer

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2010, 05:07:51 PM »
To kwolfsheimer when you say ear pain do mean just an ear ache or did you ear canal swell up a bit?  My right one seems to be swelling quite a bit lately with no obvious reason, no infection, no pain just swelling of the canal with some itching-i am able to relieve it with putting a dab of hydrocortisone on a qtip and rubbing it in the canal but after reading this I was wondering if it isn't a tooth issue as well!

It was pain, but I did have some swelling. It didn't itch though. It was more like an ear infection. I went through six rounds of antibiotics until the docs gave up.  of course, this was before my SJS diagnosis and I wonder if they had put any effort into looking at my whole medical "picture" that I might have started this fight earlier.  i switched docs when I became frustrated and finally, it all came together.

Are your salivary glands (or just one) really swollen?

Julzi74

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2010, 05:24:09 PM »
i to have the sinus issues that i can feel in my teeth-one year i went on antibiotics because i swore i had an infection even when it didn't seem like i did-of course the antibiotics didn't help-sudafed whether otc or prescription didn't help what did help was the netti pot to flush out the sinuses-now 99% of the time the sinus issues i was having can be resolved with flushing out the sinuses-i also take a daily herb for sinus congestion that i absolutely love and so do a few others that take it with me-i do have allergies and together with the herb and netti pot i am able to live pretty much sinus issue free-its also helped to alleviate the fluid build up in my ears as well
i do chew gum every day usually and have to use sensodyne or my teeth hurt when i drink anything above or below room temp...i still can't drink really cold or really hot stuff but at least everything doesn't have to be room temp!  i make sure to use the toothpaste that not only is for sensative teeth but also will help build or protect enamal
its always my right gland that will swell up but never anything real big but i haven't tracked whether its coinciding with any thing yet