Author Topic: My 'new' humidifier=...my crock pot ;)  (Read 6647 times)

olmphoto2

My 'new' humidifier=...my crock pot ;)
« on: January 10, 2010, 09:29:56 PM »
For about six weeks now I have been using my old Rival 6 qt (7 qt.?) crock pot to humidify my combination sleeping and living area.  It works GREAT. When I get up I add about three quarts of hot tap water, 2 qts. or so mid-day and about three just before I go to bed.  I just put hot tap water into a sauce pan, bring it into the room where the crock pot is and pour the water in to up close to the top where it would then hold a cover.  [I certainly don't measure the amounts, just list them here to give you a clue approximately what amounts of moisture I am adding to the air.  And how much work it is to keep filled.  Answer: not much.  If I'm experiencing days when my wrists are weaker I  just make a few more trips with less water.] Of course I don't use a cover! ;)  I have the setting as "high".  Without a cover it doesn't actually simmer the way it would even on the low setting if the cover were on.  It just nicely evaporates/ gently releases steam.  I do have the area under it protected but haven't spilled anything yet. This is the best winter sleeping I've had in years.  I still have insomnia but, not infrequently now, I'll come up with 5 or 6 or a rare 7 hours...I can hardly believe it. Now I don't have to get up in the middle of the night to put pots of water on the stove.

We have very hard water.  I use a teaspoon or two of baking soda---once---in the bottom of the crock pot before I fill it for the first time each week.  That's after I've cooled the crock a bit, dumped the water, and soaked/swished it with quarter strength vinegar for about 20 minutes. [That is,  a half cup vinegar to 1-1/2 cups water would work.] Sometimes I use a plastic scrub pad on the sides a bit.   That's IT for the cleaning and disinfecting process!

[I had a more than disappointing experience with an ultrasonic humidifier---will post that in another thread.]
Mary Ann in Wisconsin

"A man will be imprisoned in a room with a door that is unlocked and opens inwards as long as it does not occur to him to pull rather than push." 
          Ludwig Wittgenstein

Bernice

Re: My 'new' humidifier=...my crock pot ;)
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 10:04:31 PM »
Hey sometimes homemade is best! That's improvising for ya!

eyeamdry

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 10:13:24 PM »
Thanks for letting us know about "your crock pot" invention.  We might need it some day and almost everyone has a crock pot.  Lucy

kimbo

• Love never fails
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 12:26:10 AM »
Great Idea!
Diagnosed March of 2007. SJS/ RA Positive at 80  International-SSA strongly positive at 811-SSB 273
ANA positive at 1:1280
Hashimoto's
Celebrex, Synthroid, Cytomel, vitamin D, B complex, Omega 3 complex, and multi vitamins; At 58, I seem to be a low maintenance sjog

Julzi74

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 06:06:52 AM »
i love this idea because its so easy to keep clean-the humidifier i am using now has a fan and the fan is very dirty and that drives me insane and its not easy to clean-i am going to use the crock pot from now on! thanks for sharing!

susanr

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 06:10:38 AM »
Great idea, thanks! I have been boiling water on the stove to humidify the downstairs, but I am always afraid I'll forget and burn the pan... :)

Patze

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 06:27:50 AM »
Hi olmphoto2,

Now that's a neat idea!  Way to go!!!

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

RobinBat

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 09:15:25 AM »
Great idea, wish I had seen it last week...we just bought a new cool mist humidifier for the bedroom. I think it has helped some. I do know it has helped my husband snore less! Which in turn helps me sleep better! ;D
Robin

Epson

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 01:45:20 PM »
What do you guys think they did in the old days?  They put a pot of water on the wood stove to humidify their house.  The only word of caution I would have is how do you know how much humidity you are putting out?  Too much humidity can cause damage to your house during the winter!

Julzi74

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 03:49:55 PM »
i have two gauges that tell me how much humdity my house has...i have one in the bedroom and one in the living room--and it varies a lot by what time of year and how often we run our heat whether its been raining out or not...etc...etc....i too have used the cook stove but thats expensive and we did have a wood stove i always had a tea kettle on there--the crock pot is still a great idea!  And so sanitary too and easy to clean!

Epson

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 06:10:23 PM »
I don't know if I made myself clear on this, but there is a scale of interior humidity that is dependent on the outside temperature.
As the outside temperature drops, so must interior humidity to avoid damage to your house.  I think you will find this information in a past post of mine.  I the old days home were not very tight and less susceptible to over humidifying.

I'm not aware of any crock pots equipped with a humastat that can turn the crook pot off in the middle of the night when your sleeping as humidity levels reach an unsafe level.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 06:16:37 PM by Epson »

warmwaters

• Just keep swimming - Dora
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2010, 06:14:08 PM »
My mother (not an auto-immune suffer) always put pans of water on the wood stove and radiators. She even just put out pans of water near the windows. Old fashioned, but it helps.

I don't always run the fan in the bathroom when I take a bath in the winter - I love that steam.
Primary Sjogrens, dx June 2009, Immunoglobulin deficiency, axial spondylosis arthritis, IBS, autonomic neuropathy
Omeprazone DR 40 mg, mobic 15 mg, Plaquenil, LDN, B1, B6, B12, D, fludrocortisone, peridonstigmine, various inhalers

season

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2010, 06:26:22 PM »
I too will try the crockpot. I think the warm steam would be wonderful. I and my husband never did like the blowing fan on humidifiers. He coughs, spits, sputters and sneezes and he blames the humidifier and I try to keep the bedroom dust free. the warm steam will be very soothing to my nose, throat and eyes. Thanks

eyeamdry

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2010, 12:38:15 AM »
My mother used to put pans of water near the floor vents to help out with moisture.  Also set a few pans out around the house.  In Michigan, the heat gets pretty high (and dry) in the winter.  Lucy :P

olmphoto2

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2010, 08:57:01 AM »
I have my trusty crock pot out and working for me once again.  Yeah for the simple solutions!  ;-)
Mary Ann in Wisconsin

"A man will be imprisoned in a room with a door that is unlocked and opens inwards as long as it does not occur to him to pull rather than push." 
          Ludwig Wittgenstein