Author Topic: Asthma?  (Read 3712 times)

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
Asthma?
« on: January 05, 2010, 05:52:12 AM »
I was wondering how many here have asthma? I thought I knew what it was, but after I went to my regular gp yesterday after school I wasn't sure anymore after I went to look up about it. I have kept staying sick with coughing all night, feeling tight in my  chest, with sometimes coughing up some mucus but not always. I always seem to easily get sinus infections.

Well, I  looked up about it on webmd, and there was a lot of info about it, and it sounds like me .
I did after I was diagnosed with sjogren's see a pulmonologist one time, and he said I was ok except that when I would get a cold then I would have asthma. So that was it.

Last couple of days I have had a terrible migraine headache. They tend to be triggered hormonally for me, and all this was mentioned on the webmd.

The doctor kept saying I had been on a lot of antibiotics lately, and I said well I feel like my lungs are going together at times, and I can't breathe.

Anyway, I was just curious. With asthma it even says we have little energy if not controlled. I already know about my  sjogren's etc, but did not know this much about asthma's part in it all.

I would appreciate anyone's experiences or input.

Thanks Everyone
Happy New Year!!!!
susanep :)
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
Re: Asthma?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 09:04:27 AM »
Hi Susan  :)

Not me. I've had breathing problems about 3 times. Once was pleurisy and twice was thrush down my windpipe. I have really good lung capacity.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

Cheryl

• Sjogrens Staff
    • Enter here for chat room:
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 12:21:35 PM »
I went to see my doctor this morning about asthma (new for me.)  Maybe those of you with experience can tell Susan and me how to cope with it.   Is it always worse at night?  Should we try sleeping sitting up?  The doctor said mine is bronchitis, and she gave me a Zpack to try before doing a dose pack.  Good luck, Susan!
Cheryl
Chat co-host on Thursdays at 8:00 Eastern time

Katybarstool

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 01:38:39 PM »
Hi Susan

Yes, I have asthma (and bronchiectasis). My asthma was diagnosed at age 47, before the SJS diagnosis. IMie manifests itself by extreme coughing bouts - I rarely wheeze. With three different inhalers, mine is pretty well controlled now. However, I had an attack at work today, after a stressful 2 hour journey in the snow. Luckily, my reliever inhaler sorted it.

Triggers for my asthma, apart from the usual cold/chest infections, are exercise, cold, asprin and other NSAIDS, lemons and grapefruit. I also have lots of allergies, so take antihistamines and a nasal spray every day.

Kathyx

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 07:30:10 PM »
Hi everyone, I have most of the symptoms, but I don't wheeze either. I didn't sleep at all last night, because of coughing so I went through today at work like a  zombie. I do have pets though. I couldn't part with them.

susanep :)
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi

BonusMom

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 05:23:52 PM »
I was dx'ed with SLE and SjS 12/07.  In 3/08 I was dx'ed with asthma and prescribed an inhaler. I didn't have any issues in thesummer, but am definitely impacted by cold weather.

Helen

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 06:17:03 PM »
Hi susanep,

I have asthma with tightness in my chest but no wheezing.  I use an inhaler and do breathing treatments  using a nebulizer machine.  I also use prednisone to help open my chest up.  That worked really well but it also helps with the SJS.  Cold weather, exercise, and hot humid summer weather trigger my asthma.  I also have bad allergies.  Anytime I get a cold or my allergies or sines are bothering me it triggers my asthma.  There is nothing worse than not being able to breath.  Hope you feel better real soon.

Helen 

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 09:23:37 PM »
Susan, Every asthmatic is different. I get the tightness in my chest and just can't take deep breaths and would get bronchitis many times a year. I never did do the coughing. My SIL has asthma and she coughs so hard for hours when she is bad. I can hardly stand to hear her as it sounds so painful.

I would think that a pulmonary visit would be the thing to do. You seem to be having more infections lately and probably are in need of inhalers, etc. People with sjogrens seem to have a fair amount of lung problems. We need to keep our lungs open with inhalers and steroid inhalers so that we can help move air and ventilate. The fact that we have the thick mucus makes it more difficult to clear out the mucus and it increases our chance of infection.

There is a generic "mucinex" out there in some stores that I have bought much cheaper than mucinex. It does help to thin the mucus. My ENT says it helps dissolve the mucus. Have you ever used a facial sauna to breath in steam for your lungs. It really helps a lot as it is in a more confined space and you get a lot more in your lungs. Good luck. IRish ;D