Author Topic: UGH!  (Read 2906 times)

BeckyG

UGH!
« on: December 08, 2009, 03:40:09 PM »
Ah just needed a moment to vent! It is one of those days that just leaves you down in the dumps!  I live near Seattle and today is the large memorial service of our fallen officers.  So the day started out blue thinking of all those families facing the holidays with out their loved ones.  To top off the sadness of the day our management at work had a last minute minute at 1.  We thought perhaps to discuss the stepping down of one of our management.  Instead it was to tell us they are splitting up our teams! I love my team we have become a close knit group who works wondrously together so the stress of what manager I may have, new coworkers to learn about is almost too much for me right now with everything else going on! OK deep breath!

Thanks for reading my rant!

Becky

Pisces24

Re: UGH!
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 04:14:58 PM »
I really understand stress in the workplace. Sorry but I've often wondered if when anyone gets promoted to management they take their "humanity or people skills" surgically out!!!!!!!!!!!   I've seen so many dumb things done and then management wonders why it affects the employees!  Duh? Now you got to learn how to deal with a different boss.  ::)

I worked for a company once that we had Personalisis done. It is a colorgraph of 4 primary colors. If you are well rounded you come out with the same amount in each color. Red is just get her done anyhow/way. Yellow is people oriented, Blue is scientific and Green is well grounded.  My graph shows I have to be informed, team oriented and have a "buy in" on what I do.  To just tell me to do something period doesn't work with me and you can't use that approach with me.  I would say with your new boss you just have to figure out what their Personalisis is.

Crossing my fingers for you that you get a supervisor that is a team player and approachable. Maybe when you 1st talk to your new boss, mention you can understand how hard it is to come into a new group. A little understanding and praise goes a heck of a long way and gets you off on the right foot.   
Just remember that they are human too and It Really Takes All Kinds to make the world!  ;)

BeckyG

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 04:49:25 PM »
Great advice! The funny thing is we all took that same thing last year (I'm a green  ;D) And according to that our team/manager was a great match and made us a formidable team! We also did the strength finder class which was an eye opener and again saw us as a strong group!  I think the change is more for the fact that other teams are not so strong and they are trying to even out the "strong" with the "weak" to hopefully help each other out.  But they never thought of the personal affect it would have on us.  /sigh.  Luckily it wont mean a total transplant, i can still go to old teammates with questions and if I need to I can still talk to my old boss if I am moved to another group.  (wont know till next week, crossing my fingers my boss stays the same but not looking likely)  I feel like I'll be doing musical cubicles! lol

lynnmarie219

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 05:57:42 PM »
Hi Becky,

Feel free to vent away.,....I always find that it helps me!   :) I hope your situation at work resolves soon without too much added stress!

Hang in there....

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 04:33:28 PM »
Hi Becky  :)

I totally relate to you feeling stressed. My workplace is small scale but it does make a difference who one is working with. We've just been told that our centre manager has got a new job she's applied for and will be leaving. Everyone is apprehensive about the change. We work with some really challenging young people and it's important to have the right person at the 'top'.

Hopefully if your colleagues have also become friends you will all keep in touch anyway. I hope it all works out for you.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

BeckyG

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 01:58:03 PM »
Thanks guys for the encouragment! We found out who and what yesterday.. and I am all alone! I am the only one from my team that got placed into another team with another manager by themselves.  (everyone else went in 2s and 3s) I am lucky to know that some of my current team will only be a few desks away so I can still vent or talk! And my current boss told me I could talk to him any time.  So the stress of waiting is over now just to realign myself with a new group and a new boss.  My husband told me to just keep doing what I do.  So I will! Thanks again!

Becky

Pisces24

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 12:34:39 PM »
Go ahead and vent!  When we have yet another dumb thing come up at work, I call a retired cousin of mine. She just looooves my work stories.   :D ;)
At my work we have monthly individual meetings with our supervisors to discuss things, etc. Not many managers stay on top of what you are doing.  Once I started writing down my "extra efforts" on the paperwork for the meetings, my reviews got better.  Her style is to have me work with other depts, etc to resolve problems and issues I find instead of taking them to her.  Only when an issue has been bounced around too much or I am not high enough on the "food chain" for someone to believe, do I take it to my manager. I am a much better employee due to that. My previous bosses were more micro managers.  :P
So my advice is to learn the new manager's management style and toot your own horn every so often.
Good Luck!

Here is a funny for you:   I worked at a diff company way back when and had to take some papers over to a mgr in a different dept. He had an office, the door was open and he was leaning over his desk like in thought. I spoke about needing a signature, no response. Tapped him lightly on shoulder, no response, etc. I went back to my boss and said "he was sitting at his desk not moving and I didn't think he was dead was he?." "Oh" my boss said. "He must have just fallen asleep. Just leave the papers in front of him on the desk".   Oh Geesh!   ::)

Patze

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 01:36:10 PM »
Good luck Becky and I too hope that everything turns out well for you and the job situation! 

Hang in there, and like I often say, don't be shy, if you have to vent, by all means vent away (shucks, I do it often myself!).

Take care -

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen